Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 17:16   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
but I believe the life is a tad less.
Thanks for the reply razor. Approximately how many kms did the pad's last? A rough estimate will do, so I can compare figures with stock pad's.

And 9k is for a set of 2 EBC Green pad's right?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 18:15   #47
BHPian
 
crazydiablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore/San Francisco
Posts: 854
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Anything available for the baleno?
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 01:43   #48
BHPian
 
fiery enzyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN 01
Posts: 412
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Guys, How much would the EBC brake pads for M800 cost, are there any other options available for the 800 other than EBC in terms of brake pads?
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 12:43   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks for the reply razor. Approximately how many kms did the pad's last? A rough estimate will do, so I can compare figures with stock pad's.
Just fitted them a month or so ago, so they're still in use Would suggest you go through EBC's website - they might have a more concrete figure about the life of the pads.
Quote:
And 9k is for a set of 2 EBC Green pad's right?
Set of 2 pairs (4 in total - 2 for each front wheel), with shims to cover the pads.

Pics:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post737037 (Lancer overhaul - Project Phoenix)
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 15:54   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Anything available for the baleno?
Suzisport Kevlar pads.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 13:25   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Could someone shed some light on brakes issue.

Assuming car has no ABS.
Most cars will lock wheels when brake hard.
When brakes are improved/upgraded. Cars will lock wheels even more efficiently.

How does this help?
kaynmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 14:13   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,644 Times
Default

Well kay, it does not help.
What it helps in when you are on a track or driving downhill through hairpin turns.
Stock brakes will fade quickly and you will lose braking much sooner, than in upgraded brakes which are better ventilated.
So unless you are going to have a track like situation in your normal driving, all these upgraded brakes will do is give you bragging rights.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 14:23   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So unless you are going to have a track like situation in your normal driving, all these upgraded brakes will do is give you bragging rights.
Unless of course, you drive a car with bad OE brakes, like almost all Indian cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
Could someone shed some light on brakes issue.

Assuming car has no ABS.
Most cars will lock wheels when brake hard.
When brakes are improved/upgraded. Cars will lock wheels even more efficiently.

How does this help?
You need better tyres with more grip to overcome this.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 14:34   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,644 Times
Default

Bad brakes?
I have driven the indica, Santro, Getz, Safari, Swift, Palio, and none of these cars had brakes so weak that hard braking would not lock the wheels.
Infact it was quite easy to lock the disks.
I think unless you have badly maintained brakes, it would be rare to find a situation where you won't be able to lock wheels in normal driving.
However after 40kms of continuous downhill stretch, OEM brakes surely go toast, even if you try to stick to engine braking most of the time.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 14:37   #55
BHPian
 
krazydriver84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kolkata + Gurgaon
Posts: 426
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Can somebody please suggest some good brake pads for a m800, and their cost.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 03:24   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Bad brakes?
I have driven the indica, Santro, Getz, Safari, Swift, Palio, and none of these cars had brakes so weak that hard braking would not lock the wheels.
Infact it was quite easy to lock the disks.
I think unless you have badly maintained brakes, it would be rare to find a situation where you won't be able to lock wheels in normal driving.
However after 40kms of continuous downhill stretch, OEM brakes surely go toast, even if you try to stick to engine braking most of the time.
Zen, Esteem, Baleno, to name a few. Their braking can best be described as average, and in the case of the old Zen, pathetic. And then again, I did mention, you need to upgrade tyres to appreciate good braking.

Which reminds me, aren't stock cars undertyred anyway? No wonder they lock brakes so easily.

The normal and simple (I'm not saying cheap) solution to brake fade is different discs, whether they are larger, of a different material, or cross-drilled and/or slotted. Also, using better quality brake fluid may help, and stainless steel brake lines certainly help.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 11:54   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Zen, Esteem, Baleno, to name a few. Their braking can best be described as average, and in the case of the old Zen, pathetic.
I'd also add the Lancer to that list. OE brakes are really poor.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 16:54   #58
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 956
Thanked: 368 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Guys, How much would the EBC brake pads for M800 cost, are there any other options available for the 800 other than EBC in terms of brake pads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Can somebody please suggest some good brake pads for a m800, and their cost.
Hi, I'm not very sure about the M800 but EBC pads are available for the current Alto (the M800 & the old-Zen were just previous generations of the Alto anyway).

You get both the Ultimax as well as the Green-Stuff pads - they're available from Electra, Chennai. The Green-Stuff ones for the Alto cost a little over 5K, for a set of 4 pads. The Lancer pads are around 8.3K...
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 17:15   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bombay
Posts: 440
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Just a quick update EBC brake pads are now available in India for the following cars:

Ultimax Replacement Pads
__________________________
Esteem Front
Gypsy Front
M800
OHC 1.5
Skoda
Mitsubishi Lancer CE Front

Green Pads
__________________________

Zen
Esteem
Alto
Gypsy Front
Civic
Accent/Getz
Elantra Front
Skoda RS Front & Rear
Superb Front & Rear
Mitsubishi Lancer


DOT 4 Brake Fuild
Hey man , where's the Swift ?
Ultimax available for the swift . N1 in mumbai stocks them - quite reasonable too and he s had them for quite a while too.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 21:16   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

i'm surprised to NOT see the ikon mentioned in this list. does anyone know of any options for upgrading ikon brakes? any good brake pads out there that will do the job? i have a 1.6 and even though it's running stock it's a bit scary when i have to brake hard.... just not enough bite sometimes.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What your Car costs the city lloydofcochin Shifting gears 33 25th August 2010 11:59
Improving Zen MPFI brakes by fitting an Esteem Type II brake booster etc Trust_In_Thrust Modifications & Accessories 26 6th June 2010 12:42
Retarder in Volvo B7R buses (air-brakes / jake brakes) sfilinto Commercial Vehicles 12 30th March 2010 00:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks