Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2007, 07:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question How to judge the quality of Sunfilm ?

One of my friend who owns a accessory shop told me that there are lots of spurious sunfilms of the established Indian brands like Garware/Autografix/Llumar. Most of the dealers are in hand-in-glove with the spurious guys.

He also told me that it's really difficult to identify the authentic from the un-authentic ones. And most of the customers trust the words of the shopkeeper and never(ever) care to cross-check.

Then, how is it possible to identify the original Sunfilms from spurious ones since nowadays even the misbegotten ones comes with holograms !!!
Old 25th May 2007, 10:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

A genuine film from one of these recognized names: 3M, Llumar and VKool are scratch resistant to a degree. If by normal light cleaning of the film there are no visible scratches left behind, thats a positive indication.

If Llumar, the company people come for the installation themselves - and is not done by the accessory store. Other tell-tale marks such as branding, visibility, cooling and warranty-card are the other criteria that can be used.
Old 25th May 2007, 10:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

3M and garware have a printed watermark on their sunfilm. It is compulsory for the installer to make sure that the watermark is present on all the glasses. He has to cut accordingly.

Llumar as Mag mentioned gives a warranty card and a sticker on all the glasses and installation is generally done by them only, irrespective of where you buy it from.
Old 25th May 2007, 21:21   #4
BHPian

+919833764747 this is the number for garware india! call them and find out where you can get it in your city and how you can find out!! thats the best way i guess otherwise its difficult as even the fakes have garware printed on them!! and i personally have'nt ever seen the watermark to identify it !!
Old 26th May 2007, 07:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
If by normal light cleaning of the film there are no visible scratches left behind, thats a positive indication.
I have witnessed zero scratches even on un-branded ones. Would you please elaborate more ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
3M and garware have a printed watermark on their sunfilm.
I haven't seen any watermarks on Garware yet. Although the term "Garware" was printed on Sunfilm.
Old 26th May 2007, 09:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I have witnessed zero scratches even on un-branded ones. Would you please elaborate more ?
There's not much else to elaborate. If you've not experienced scratches on unbranded films, you could consider yourself fortunate
Old 26th May 2007, 09:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I haven't seen any watermarks on Garware yet. Although the term "Garware" was printed on Sunfilm.
I have unbranded or I think the lowest quality in garware on my alto and its filled with scratches. It will come if you roll up/down the window often or when you wipe the glass thoroughly from the inside while washing.

It's not exactly a watermark but a garware stamp print on the film. you can feel the impression of the mark with your fingers. It's there in garware classic and 3M.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had installed 3M film on my car but only the side windows only...not on the front and the back....the person who installed came directly from 3M at my office and installed it there within 2-3 hrs...and put a sticker on the outside the glass to not to open the window for at least 48 hours after installing the film....
Old 26th May 2007, 11:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
If Llumar, the company people come for the installation themselves - and is not done by the accessory store. Other tell-tale marks such as branding, visibility, cooling and warranty-card are the other criteria that can be used.
Can you also post their contacts, it'll help others.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's not much else to elaborate. If you've not experienced scratches on unbranded films, you could consider yourself fortunate
Guess that would make me a fortunate man
I have an unbranded film fitted on my Santro... the shopkeeper got a little too enthusiastic with the darkness and fitted a dark tint. This makes driving a little challenging at night (with or without rain). I'm pretty sure its beyond the RTO approved tint limit.
However, I must say that the film has not developed any scratches or bubbles whatsover in 2 years. Heat filtering capabilities are poor, but that's expected with a cheap film.
In short, there are 3 things that I would ensure if I were to install tints:
1. The tint should be light enough that I can drive peacefully at night.
2. It should provide adequate protection from heat & UV rays (very important, especially in dark coloured cars).
3. The installation should be of good quality - with precise cutting (cannot stand jagged edges) and bubble-free pasting.

My 2 cents...
Razor
Old 26th May 2007, 17:49   #11
BHPian

hey razor! UV rays is not a major concern as the glass used for automobile windows itself block UV rays! i think its the IR that is more of a concern as thats the one causing all the heat and the green house effect in your car !!
Old 26th May 2007, 19:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Llumar is marketed by methods automotive here:

Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories

However their rates will be higher. You can go to any decent car accessory shop in Bangalore and get the Llumar tints with the 2 yr warranty.

I just got a friends Santro done by Auto Fusion koramangala cost me Rs.1600 with a 2yr warranty. Also all the professional installers will make your rear glass film out of one single sheet rather than 3 sheets.
Old 27th May 2007, 00:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There's another thread here abt Car Accessory Shops in Various Cities. Lots more info in that thread than I can recollect personally
Old 29th May 2007, 06:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've seen lots of unbranded ones which cost b/w Rs.400-600 without any scratches. BUT, most of them has started fading within one year !!!
Old 29th May 2007, 07:52   #15
BHPian

Default Sun film fading

I think I saw a nonfading Garware sunfilm at the decor shop. So I presume the "normal" films would fade over a period of time. So how often does one need to change films - for average users?
Closed Thread