Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th June 2007, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Totally Psyched Out!

Land in B'lore on Monday evening and as I'm having a few rounds with some business friends at the Tavern (v1p3r in attendance as the sober driver) a rather tall dude with long hair groomed with used engine oil enters.

Sits down, pours himself a drink and throws me a set of keys. "Drive it", he says.

After a couple of quite beers we decide to head out somewhere else as my Brit friend wants the see the 'nightlife' in Bangalore. He decides to ride with
v1p3r since he's heard Keshav talk...

I get into the very ordinary looking grey esteem (with some bling alloys being the only giveaway) and start the engine. Shift into first and stall. Shift again and stall. Now this is beginning to piss me off so the third time I revv, shift, and dump the clutch. I suddenly see the night sky in Bangalore as the tinny Esteem takes off, the steering wrenching from side to side as I struggle to keep it under control. Take my foot off the accelerator and v1p3r gets ahead, his hand asking questions through the window of his car....

Slow down and try to keep this thing under control as we head towards the Ashoka, which was quite frustrating. Low end torque is mindboggling - there is no way I could shift gears and keep it under control, so I have to use 2nd to start off.

Ashoka, few drinks, and the sober guys do the drive to Mulbagal. A few hours later we start the drive back and this time I get to drive again. Shift is simple, but the clutch has about 1/2 an inch of play and the throttle needs very careful control.

Verdict - neckwrenching low-end torque with excellent mid-range. I found the top end a bit disappointing as the torque tended to peak at 120/130. Halfway down the route to Bangalore it's apparent to Mr. Used-Engine-Oil-Da-Jawaab-Nahin that I'm not happy with the top end.

A quick stop by the roadside, a spanner in hand and a few seconds later I'm asked to drive again. This time the car takes off in a more relaxed manner, definitely more comfortable.

However, the shift points have moved up from about 5k rpm to about 7k, and suddenly top end is available in plenty. Soon we're doing some pretty serious speeds and I'm happy (but Psycho isnt - he prefers low end).

While I'm about it, I have to mention the suspension setup which insulated us from the road very well, quite unlike an Esteem and quite unlike any small car. Went off the road on a couple of occassions and didnt feel much. Unbelievable.

All in all a very Psychic experience, but IMHO its time Shri Psycho moved on to bigger cars - its hard to come across a turbo mod that is also a reliable daily drive, so reliability isnt an issue any more.

Psycho - NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. Get a bigger car and turbo it! Way to go, man!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 17:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good you drove the Esteem... Sitting with the Blue Boy in the Blue Baleno with hardly any life on the tires and a handbrake friendly arm that pulls the handbrake more than it changes gears.. would have made you look at life in a more appreciating manner..

I have been there.. experience counts.. and next time i will drive my own vehicle.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Psycho - NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. Get a bigger car and turbo it! Way to go, man!
Thank you for the praises sir... however before we talk about DISPLACEMENT I will need to think about PAISA. I am just going to hold back for a while till life allows me to become a Lakhpati.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
will need to think about PAISA.
Sell something to Sankar.. He is always ready to buy whatever you have...

Godfather
Old 7th June 2007, 17:58   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Hhhhmmm. Speed Run FI esteem class winner eh? Car is nice. Certainly not as scary as old man claims it to be, but then he is old so dont take his words seriously. Its faaastt, provided tuner isn't driving it . Handles good, but needs a power steering. He seems to handle it with ease, specially since he has started exercising by grabbing our necks. Secret to strong arms.

It has amazing low end torque as steer has pointed out. And wheelspins to glory and all that jazz. It has massive torque steer, something that one needs to see to believe. Car is supposedly a sleeper as tuner claims, except that it has some 10 coats?? of a custom colour, bling alloys, recaro's, and I hear a GT wing will be added soon. Some sleeper that! Or maybe he means sleeper like how he let it sleep at Shell yesterday night.

Phus phus sound from the BOV is addictive. But only if he would let us switch off his ADS setup. Turbo runs at x or xx psi depending on his mood. But what you will always find in his car is a tool kit. And I am not surprised when steer mentions it that he got down to tune it in the middle of nowhere. Thats why he is called psycho.

Car is quick in a straight line, but come to a corner it feels even better. Even more so when he is sitting half sleepy in the passengers seat saying "Floor it floor it".

I would sing more praises but he wouldn't let me drive his car. I can't handle it he says. True that, but I would like to end the rant saying its a cool car and reliable at that. The owner is even cooler after having a few bacardi's (only time he lets you drive his car). Or so it seems. Wish he could stay like that forever, but then he lives on coffee. Its rare to see him in such state of tune, just as rare it is seeing him go fast .

Steer, he doesn't need a bigger car. If you haven't notice he has upgraded from a RWD TCed conti to a FWD TCed esteem. Next on his list is a TCed cycle. I hear the concept is already in the making. Here is a pic of some testing. Actually he seems to have tuned my phone unknowingly, and the pics seem to have disappeared.

And his next post will be "Rahul, you have no clue. I am going to whop you"! Wait, my phones ringing. Perhaps its him.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 7th June 2007 at 18:00.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 18:42   #6
BANNED

Wow! I got a ride in that car when the car was missing some nuts and stuff!
It didn't have the real push from the engine bay. But I was seriously popping my eyes off!

Good to hear this from you Steer. After all, it is not every day we get to hear good things about an Esteem.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 19:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Wow! I got a ride in that car when the car was missing some nuts and stuff!
Why??? where were MCL and v1p3r.. I thought they were always around.

Godfather
Old 7th June 2007, 19:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Sell something to Sankar.. He is always ready to buy whatever you have...

Godfather
Hehehe..... Yep these days i'm pretty much occupied with the Bullet... When i start earning i hope he'll still have something which is not stock and he might want to part with it
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 19:50   #9
BHPian

"Psycho - NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. Get a bigger car and turbo it! Way to go, man!"

30 more days and counting
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 02:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

WOW, i would love to try it sometime.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 02:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
But only if he would let us switch off his ADS setup.
ADS...?? Details, please...

Last edited by veyron1 : 8th June 2007 at 02:59.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 03:05   #12
BHPian

ads - a daily driver? just guessing
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 03:11   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
ADS...?? Details, please...
a/d/s. Does that ring a bell? I am sure the ICE gurus can help. Where is Tbhp's in house tuner? Yeeti !!
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 03:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
a/d/s. Does that ring a bell? I am sure the ICE gurus can help. Where is Tbhp's in house tuner? Yeeti !!
a/d/s ?? Rings quite a few bells. Which one are you searching for ? i like advanced digital something ending with X, how about you ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 07:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
a/d/s ?? Rings quite a few bells. Which one are you searching for ? i like advanced digital something ending with X, how about you ?
Lmao! Gosh! Where is the red haired Yeti when you need him?
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote