Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th June 2007, 15:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ohc 1.5 "free Flowed "

back on 2005, i invested around 2 years of my earnings PLUS part of next 5 years earnings ( in the form of a loan ) on a 2005 OHC 1.5 which had done around 42k at that time
loved the car in stock condition but as always with good things, you get used to them very fast and u want something better.
started off in a modest way by going for K & N stock replacement...
early this year - went for a tyre wheel upgrade...
choice was LENSO 15" shod with YOK - ES100 (195-55 )

the next thing that was on the cards was the free flow...was just waiting for the stock unit to reach the end of its life which it did finally at 60k when it completely gave in as u can see from pics below .... it all culminated with a BOOMING sound coming from the exhaust which even humbled some of those diesel autos..!!
i was not sure about free flow systems initially - hence a LOT OF THANKS to manveet, viper who patiently answered my PMs
anyway once i checked the price of the stock unit from Honda ( around 30K !!!) i decided it was much better to spend a third of that money on something that would increase the performance also ( mileage was not a big consideration bcos the company foots the fuel bill !!)
once i decided on the free flow installation, i was checking out on which one i should go for...
based on a combination of feedback, ease of availability and cost also - i zeroed in on the AUTOMECH unit with the stainless stell muffler tip
cost came to Rs11000 including freight and installation
here are some of the pics taken during installation ( some inspiration taken from pics that manveet, GTO had posted of their cars ..)

unit has 4 pieces - header with some white coating - apparently with heat shielding properties, expansion chamber pipe, intermdiary pipe and muffler

i think this would be the most used up stock exhaust unit...it was completely totalled !!

pic of the automech etching on the muffler tip

view of the header piece.... the o2 sensor goes into only one of the pipes unlike the stock system where it goes in at the place where all the 4 pipes converge...i hope this serves the same purpose !

impressions after installation-

1) the sound was simply amazing - all though i was expecting a different kind of sound - what actually i heard was as good and pleasing....till around 2000rpm there is hardly any sound heard and once u get 2k - there is this metallic hum that comes in which is really sweet

2) performance - i could intantly feel the free -ness with which the revs climbed.....im not sure whether the extra power is real or a result of the fact that revs climb much faster with the free flow ** experts can add in their comments on this **

3) other things i noticed -

a) idling rpm came DOWN after the installation ...
b) engine is not very comfortable with gear shifts at <2k rpm like i used to before.
c)the muffler does judder when AC is switched on ( anyways AC is not used very much bcos with such a unit in place - one is most of time hearing the sound track with the windows down!! ) - i emailed automech and they promtly reverted that this does happen but can be reduced a bit by removing and re fitting all the joints of the free flow system. im yet to do this....
d)before the installation - i could feel a marked bump in power at around 2k-2.5k rpm- almost like a mini turbo kick in....strangely this has vanished after the free flow ..probably the torque curve evens out post installation ??

the last of the observations was of course - the number of heads that turn and look at the car has dramatically increased post the installation

yet to be tested are
a) mileage impact
b) top end
c) effect of prolonged high way driving with such a unit/.....
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats narayan.Am sure you are gonna love this even more in the days of driving to come .I just got my free flow done and its bliss.

Enjoy revving the beast around.

edit : Would it be possible that you upload a video of how the car sounds at rpms >2k.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 13th June 2007 at 15:27.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes will post a video with the sound shortly
Old 13th June 2007, 15:28   #4
BHPian

Congrats Narayan....on your installation of the Automech exaust system.. btw i bumped into one of the shops in Karol Bagh last weekend and got to know about the Automech exausts being sold by one of their distributors.. now anyone here knows about them and how good they do the installs..

Last edited by invincible7 : 13th June 2007 at 15:30.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:30   #5
BHPian

nice install. but is your OHC a 2005? didnt they stop making it in 2003?
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

its a 2001 - model - i bot it in 2005 from the first owner
Old 13th June 2007, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
the next thing that was on the cards was the free flow...was just waiting for the stock unit to reach the end of its life which it did finally at 60k when it completely gave in as u can see from pics below .... it all culminated with a BOOMING sound coming from the exhaust which even humbled some of those diesel autos..!!
ianyway once i checked the price of the stock unit from Honda ( around 30K !!!) i decided it was much better to spend a third of that money on something that would increase the performance also

- i zeroed in on the AUTOMECH unit with the stainless stell muffler tip
cost came to Rs11000 including freight and installation
Congrats on the new FFE

have you checked how the O2 sensor is connected in other models?

30K for stock and 11K for after market FFE.
If this is so cheap, wonder why the manufacturers don't provide FFE as stock.
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 16:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Narayan. Glad you enjoying the Automech.

My suggestion is that enjoy this for a couple of months and when this starts getting taken-for-granted, then as a step 2 go in for a Free Flow intake as that will compliment the Exhaust. And trust me, it will even sound better.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 16:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
view of the header piece.... the o2 sensor goes into only one of the pipes unlike the stock system where it goes in at the place where all the 4 pipes converge...i hope this serves the same purpose !

Good observation there. Even I wonder if this is the correct place for the sensor because a lot of aftermarket headers I have seen have the sensor AFTER the four pipes meet.

Quote:
2) performance - i could intantly feel the free -ness with which the revs climbed.....im not sure whether the extra power is real or a result of the fact that revs climb much faster with the free flow ** experts can add in their comments on this **
Not an expert, but as a fellow Automech user - yes the Revs do climb faster. Also, the powerband has shifted to the post 3k rpm range and you'll get a very perceptible kick after about 3.5k.

But in retrospect I think this became fairly obvious AFTER the intake was in place. With a FF Intake and Exhaust, car will climb much easier till 6k+ rpm
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 16:12   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats narayan! Pretty smart on you to wait for the stock exhaust to go before installing an FFE.

Quote:
the sound was simply amazing - all though i was expecting a different kind of sound - what actually i heard was as good and pleasing....till around 2000rpm there is hardly any sound heard and once u get 2k - there is this metallic hum that comes in which is really sweet
This is exactly the sound I had earlier. Good for sleeper cars, but I wanted something louder. So I went back and Vivek promptly changed the end can to a louder deep bass.

Is there anyway you can paint those headers? White headers dont make for a good looking engine bay.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2007 at 16:15.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 16:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Congrats on the new FFE

have you checked how the O2 sensor is connected in other models?

30K for stock and 11K for after market FFE.
If this is so cheap, wonder why the manufacturers don't provide FFE as stock.

manufacturers dont give FF becos its not as enviro friendly as regulations require...also sound is more than stipulated - also if its free flow, ppl would be tempted to shift higher in rev range and hence mileage also gets affected which is not good for manufacturer when they are selling cars to the masses.....
Old 13th June 2007, 16:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Congratulations Narayan. Glad you enjoying the Automech.

My suggestion is that enjoy this for a couple of months and when this starts getting taken-for-granted, then as a step 2 go in for a Free Flow intake as that will compliment the Exhaust. And trust me, it will even sound better.
yea thats defenetly the plan - infact was even wondering how a intake kit + an external air intake duct made into the hood look like!!...

i was closely examining the scorpio intake piece which seems to be kind of proportionate for the city hood also...

maybe an offset intake like the impreza could be a good idea...

any views ///?
Old 13th June 2007, 16:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the next thing that was on the cards was the free flow...was just waiting for the stock unit to reach the end of its life which it did finally at 60k when it completely
So you had no other choice, but to go for the FFE. Nice spot of bother to be in.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
manufacturers dont give FF becos its not as enviro friendly as regulations require...also sound is more than stipulated - .....
Was there any significant change in exhaust gas while testing for PUC?
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:23   #15

Adding a free flow exhaust will smoothen out your torque curve. Rather than getting spikes of power in the lower end it will smoothen out the curve throughout the rpm range. Also I was wondering if you slotted in a high flow cat as well? Am not too familiar with the automech products. If the exhaust sound is not a drone and pretty low key I'd be impressed .

Enjoy your ride mate. cheers.
traman is offline   Reply With Quote