Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 12th February 2011, 11:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift ORVM glass stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hi Folks,

Last night I had went out for dinner and when I came back to my car, the RHS ORVM glass was missing.
What would anybody do with just the glass? I am unable to understand the motive behind this kind of theft.
Or is it to actually sell it to someone who just needs the glass like revved_up here?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 11:39   #32
RGK
Senior - BHPian

This is the third story heard from delhi motorists. My sister in law parked her new i10 near district centre at Janakpuri and came back to see her fog lamp dummies stolen.
She was very upset to see big two holes in front also this is her first and new car. She discussed with her colleagues and heard these type of stories.
One of her friend told that there are some second hand shops available on the road side where you can pick the original ones (offcourse the stolen ones) at half the price of originals..

Last edited by RGK : 12th February 2011 at 11:41.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 11:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
One of her friend told that there are some second hand shops available where you can pick the original ones (offcourse the stolen ones) at half the price of originals..
This reminds me of those several hondy city orvm thefts where you could find the original ones (used) in the market for half the price.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 16:11   #34
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift ORVM Cowl

Had parked my swift outside a building, after some time when i came out saw that somebody ( i assume a biker) had hit the right side orvm and there was no cowl ! Searched around but i coudn't find it. The mirror came loose and kept wobbling and shaking all the time. Had to get the whole thing changed.
I shudder to think what might have happened if it was My Skoda Octavia! I do not know how much the whole mirror assembly costs, but i remember that once my friend told me that it costed him 13k !
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:45   #35
BHPian

Recently had been to JC road in Bangalore (famous for car accessories). Got to know ORVM cowl is available for swift. So any of you guys looking for swift mirror casing can head directly to JC road. In case you dont get there then next stop would be Shivajinagar seconds shops.
Me-hul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 12:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

My Swift LHS mirror got separated from the black frame. The mirror isn't broken at all.
But it's no longer attached to the frame & doesn't look like it can be attached - the white plastic strip in the frame which attaches it is broken.

I went to a local accessory shop - he has the whole mirror+frame for 750Rs including the danda which goes inside the car for adjusting it. It looks neat also. Do I need to replace the whole thing or is there any alternative?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:25   #37
BHPian

I have the same problem.
Usual idiotic auto guy rammed into my rear view mirror for the opposite side of the road.
ONLY THE MIRROR IS CRACKED.
The outer cowl is intact.

Can anyone tell me where in chennai can i get only the mirror?

Went to MASS ABT Guindy and they quoted Rs600+ tax+ labor for alto rear view internally adjustable mirror set.

And how can one change the internally adjustable mirror, i dont see how it is screwed in. Any DIY's on teambhp will be great.

thanks mates.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 19:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if I could put a sun film on the ORVM to reduce glare from the vehicles behind. Will this hamper visibility? Is it safe to do so?

Thanks.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 14:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I own a 2007 Swift VXI. I Lost a piece of Left ORVM cowl(plastic part in the front) when a tempo brushed me.
Mirror is perfectly fine and the whole casing is still strong. its just that front piece. I could easily fix the broken piece back to the mirror casing by just pressing it

I checked at the MASS and he blabbered something like Type 1 and Type 2, and said mine is older Type 1, for which they dont have spares!! but he said i need to replace the whole casing for about 1400. Is anyone aware of this Type1 and Type 2 mirror ?

I find this really strange. Its a Maruti, and a swift that sells by lakhs. And a small crack on Plastic part costing 1400 ? I am sure these MASS people are taking me for a ride since they dont gain much from it. Infact if they sell me one, i can fix it myself.

So Bhpians i Bangalore, is there any place which sells such accessories ? Swift is a very popular model. I want black, or white or even that Zazzy chrome would do I dont know much about JC road, so any help would be appreciated.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 09:58   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I own a 2007 Swift VXI. I Lost a piece of Left ORVM cowl(plastic part in the front) when a tempo brushed me.
Mirror is perfectly fine and the whole casing is still strong. its just that front piece. I could easily fix the broken piece back to the mirror casing by just pressing it
They might be referring to the new swift. I had recently replaced my mirror. Same case as yours. Only the plastic bit was gone. I had to pay 1200 for the set. To save time, here's what he did. Got the new set, removed the plastic bit and attaches to the broken unit. Hardly 2 min. He then hands over the new set to me. I asked him if it's easy why dont you guys sell the plastic bits alone. He said these come as complete mirror assemblies and cant be sold separately.
Also, all mirror sets come in black and have to be painted to match the car.

The best thing to do is - keep a good relation with any SA/mechanic at MASS. Ask them to arrange the plastic bit from any accident/scrap cars. I did this once for my Fiesta. Paid him 200 bucks. If you still have the plastic bit try sticking it. I did this once. Stays well.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 10:09   #41
BHPian

My RVM got brushed by a bus and the back part of the RVM came off isntantly. I am not sure if you all are referring to the same part.

When I checked initially they said I had to replace the entire part for 1400 Rs. Local spare part shop had these back covers and were quoting 200 RS. But got it for 70 RS from Varun Motors spare part shop at hyderabad.

Only a trained eye can spot the difference between the two covers now. Will try to post a picture if possible later.

What I always wanted to ask and searched for here is a solution similar to inner rear view mirror which has that button that reduces glare in the nights.

Can we have the same for outer rear view mirrors on both sides? That would be really helpful.
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 10:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The best thing to do is - keep a good relation with any SA/mechanic at MASS. Ask them to arrange the plastic bit from any accident/scrap cars. I did this once for my Fiesta. Paid him 200 bucks. If you still have the plastic bit try sticking it. I did this once. Stays well.
Thanks buddy. Yes i have the old piece(60% still intact) and i could easily fix this to the mirror casing without any glue, sticky tape. Unfortunately i lost the remaining pieces because there was heavy traffic. Which is why i was so confident that Maruti should be having a spare piece !!!

I am trying to follow up with my SA and he has told me that he will try to arrange for one and let me know.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 10:28   #43
BHPian

Is swift ORVM cowl loosely fitted?

last month while walking towards my parked car, a slow moving swift's ORVM hit my right elbow , It was painful and i heard sound of some plastic part falling down and saw it was the ORVM cowl

The swift was brand new and seems like it was just driven out of showroom , may be the driver didn't realise the cowl had fallen off , i took the cowl and went to the showroom just 1 km away and checked if the car was delivered from there, They were busy so I left the cowl with them and left.
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 11:25   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Is swift ORVM cowl loosely fitted?
Yes, it's loosely fitted. I once parked my car very close to a wall. While backing up, my mirror hit the wall and the plastic bit came off. The point where this plastic bit joins the main mirror is very flimsy. A small bump will knock it off.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 11:34   #45
BHPian

This stroke of bad luck is not limited to swiftsonly. Recently, my right ORVM cowl was flicked by a crazy indicab doing crazy speeds in ecity . Looking for that part to arrive from a friend
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote