Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd June 2007, 15:36   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up pics of different k&n filters

I have searched the forum for different k&n set ups and each person has their own view on how the k&n has to be set up with respect to the climate conditions, car(model), year of mfg etc. Wish we all could have a central repository where all the bhpians with the k&n setup be it universal, cold intake, xtreme etc. could post the pics of the setups.

I am planing on getting the k&n in lancer sfx and would like to check out what you guys have in your cars especially lancers. What do you guys think would be the best setup in hot chennai conditions?

Please post your pics of the setup in your cars and also mention the procedure and the costs incurred.

Please do not redirect me as there is no central repository of the pics of the k&n set ups.
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

This, in my opinion, is the only way to put in a conical K&N into a hot engine bay:

ImageShack - Hosting :: newboxtobeinstalleddt3.jpg

A double walled box lined with glasswool and venting to the front bumper.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 01:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is the setup in my Santro:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...?do=big&p=3517

@ananth: i'm guessing your concern is regd the filter sucking in the hot air from the engine. i haven't faced any issues though in my santro, and i have been using the K&N for over 7 months. performance is fine, even on long drives.
but i do like the concept of that filter box.... the only concern being the filter's position behind the bumper - water could be an issue.

Costs involved:
Filter + custom intake pipe: 5000
Fitting labour charges: 400
Total: 5400

Last edited by razor4077 : 24th June 2007 at 01:16.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 04:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh there wont be any issues...the only issue is you wont make as much power as you could with a box like that one, which is the main point of fitting the filter in the first place.
Old 24th June 2007, 13:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Oh there wont be any issues...the only issue is you wont make as much power as you could with a box like that one, which is the main point of fitting the filter in the first place.
Fair enough, but in cramped engine bays like the Santro's you don't really have much scope for improvement.
One of the engines with the potential for a good filter setup is the Baleno... lots of space that can be exploited.

As for me, I'm not too unhappy with the power gains I have got (realistically, a filter has limited effect on performance in any case).
Old 24th June 2007, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Fair enough, but in cramped engine bays like the Santro's you don't really have much scope for improvement.
One of the engines with the potential for a good filter setup is the Baleno... lots of space that can be exploited.

As for me, I'm not too unhappy with the power gains I have got (realistically, a filter has limited effect on performance in any case).

In that case fitting a filter is really moot isnt it. Better to stay with the stock filter and throw in a K&N replacement if increased flow is what you're looking for.
Old 24th June 2007, 21:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

To my limited knowledge,
Power gains (whatever they may be) from a conical filter in an ideal setup > Power gains from a conical filter in a setup like mine > Power gains from a stock replacement filter

I guess this debate is raging on in many threads on this forum... lets spare this one, and let people post pics & prices of their filter setups as redfx requested.
Old 24th June 2007, 21:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...?do=big&p=3111

My setup,
Ractive SF 100 filter - Rs 1200+transport
Flange from Keshavs garage - Rs 300

Total Rs 1500
Do we students know how to manage money or what?!?!
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
lets spare this one, and let people post pics & prices of their filter setups as redfx requested.
You're right it doesnt make sense.

So here's my setup. "conical" filter box with no element inside. This cost me all of Rs. 0 for the whole thing. Take that, binz.

Old 25th June 2007, 01:07   #10
BHPian

guys also post where you sourced the stuff from and also if you find any power gains and guys with lancers with k&n filters please start posting.

also please mention if any other mods were carried out.
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 01:52   #11
BHPian

There is a company called BMC which offers performance filter boxes.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 01:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pipey, if you're a little more into the cold thing, wrap the black plastic piping behind the airfilter in your Jetta with Al foil. That pipe is attracting a load of heat.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 02:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Actually I disagree. The ABS plastic pipe is a very poor conductor of heat and I'd prefer to let it stay that way (if that were my car, notice its a 2.0 and not a VR). Aluminum foil, on the other hand conducts heat a lot better than plastic and I'd say it ratchets up intake temps a little bit..
Old 25th June 2007, 02:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Get reflective plastic. Or wrap 10 sheets of plastic kitchen wrap around. It gets kinda reflective then.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 02:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

For what purpose? i suppose you're joking. BTW thats not my car. I wont spend money on a K&N conical filter ever in my life.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 25th June 2007 at 02:52.