Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th March 2008, 12:12   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
hehehe!

@ razor boy what is the OTHER EQUIPMENT you guys are talking about?? when do i get to dekho/hear the thingy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
What about the other upgrades? Any ETA on those?
what on earth is that THINGY? arey any hint-shint?
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 13:04   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The brakes and the suspension of the stock JDM are part of the package.
What "package" are you referring to? I was under the impression that the engine+tranny come together, sometimes not even that. The rest of the stuff like brakes, suspension, ECU etc, one has to acquire separately.

For example, check out this 4G92 Mivec engine assembly that is on sale at RPW:
Racing Performance Works - 4G92 DOHC Mivec Engine Assy

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
what on earth is that THINGY? arey any hint-shint?
Give me a call sometime and we'll talk. The surprise is delayed as usual - does that give you a hint?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 13:29   #513
Senior - BHPian

can i get the app. costs of mivec and all the available evo engines in the market, need this asap. also which ones are direct bolt-ons ? what all do i need.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 13:39   #514
Senior - BHPian

@ jesal - get in touch with either Sideways or Harrie - i guess they have MIVEC transplants in their cars. Speedzak also owns a MIVECed lancer.
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 11:03   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
As a rough estimate, the total was around Rs. 4 lacs, inclusive of the cost of the original car.
I was keeping a religious tab of all expenses up to a point, then stopped, since there were constant niggling fixes and expenditures occurring.
An approx break-up would be:
Mechanicals (including engine overhauling): Rs. 1.2 lacs
Paintjob, body-work , interiors etc: Rs. 1 lac
Spares, miscellaneous costs: Rs. 1 lac

Remainder: cost of car + other uncategorized expenses. Do the math
so why did you not get a mivec then since u did spend so much
Old 21st March 2008, 12:18   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
so why did you not get a mivec then since u did spend so much
In retrospect, I probably should have gone for the MIVEC swap straightaway. Would have saved on the stock engine overhaul and modding. Anyway, we live, we learn
There are still a few factors that go against the MIVEC - availability of spares and knowledgeable mechanics, high octane fuel (availability+price), and of course, the cost. If I ever go through with the swap, I will need to drive the car down to Chennai or Mumbai, get the work done, stick around there for some time to fine tune things and then drive back to Calcutta. Not a "simple" procedure by any means, and it will definitely cost a bomb.

Maybe I should open a Project Phoenix charity fund...lol!

Meanwhile, can someone give me a fairly accurate estimate on how much the procedure would cost?
4G92 engine with tranny, ECU (maybe Haltek), wiring, brakes (rear disc conversion +bigger front discs), speedo, tacho. And labour, of course.
I think the Pedders suspension I have fitted would work fine with the new engine.
And what are the formalities involved in terms of tax and registration? Am assuming the impoter will factor the import duties into the engine cost.

Wishful thinking, I know. But hey, I can do that, can't I?
Old 21st March 2008, 12:29   #517
Senior - BHPian

even i want costs. do u get these engines in kurla at all ?planning to go on monday. am getting a lancer for cheap too just playing with the idea for now
Old 1st April 2008, 20:46   #518
Senior - BHPian

Default Update

Ok, here's an update. There has been a good amount of tinkering and experimentation done on the car over the last couple of days. The car's still nowhere near what it should be, performance-wise. It seems choked while accelerating, and there is an irritating jerking while stepping on the gas from a steady rpm, especially at low speeds.
Jignesh (Viper) and his friend Satish were in town the last couple of days on some business. After driving the car, they both agreed that it needed to "free up" much more. Satish, who really impressed me with his knowledge and practical approach with regards to automobiles, suspected the trouble lay in some sensors, in particular the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Jiggy also suspected there was something wrong with the ECU.

As luck should have it, there was a Lancer in the workshop getting repaired. Sazid, who runs the workshop was very kind and let us borrow the MAF sensor and the ECU from that car.
The MAF went in first, and the test run showed some improvements, but there was still scope for more.
Then the ECU was stuck in and we did some more test runs. The difference was HUGE. The car felt unrestrained and smooth, revved higher and accelerated much, much better. It was as if Phoenix had been released from some invisible shackles!! The jerking movement that I had spoken of had also vanished.

So that's the story. I need to replace the MAF sensor and the ECU. The MAF isn't very expensive, but the ECU is another story. The OE Lancer ECU would probably cost something like 8-10k. :(

Are there any other options that I have? The obvious one would be Race Dynamics' RD 601. The price of this ECU + other expenses (air tickets & acco for Karthik, since he doesn't have a unit in Calcutta) would be more than 30k. The question is, is it worth it? I just read Psycho's review on this product and the general consensus seems to be a thumbs up. However, given that my car is NA and meant for street use, will this be a good option for me? 30k+ is a lot of money...

Suggestions welcome.

On another front, I have installed the RPM Shortshifter that I had purchased waaaay back. It's a little hard at the moment, but that is expected, and it's supposed to get smoother in a short while. But the gear shifts are an absolute joy now. The Lancer has a great gear shifter anyway... this has made it even better! Will post a detailed review after using it for a while.

The Triphase module was also installed today and I am currently testing it. However, given the defective ECU, I don't think now is a good time to evaluate it. Will have to hold off on this one... again, will post a review in the future.
Old 1st April 2008, 21:07   #519
Senior - BHPian

See? I told you not to loose heart.
Why not try to joogaro the ECU from a written-off car? This of course would be a temporary fix till you get the RD601 or a sweet M-I-V-E-C..
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:49   #520
Senior - BHPian

Are you still willing to put in more money into this project?? Sorry to sound negative but it seem sot be a never ending pit to me. Why not save the money for now (Get a used ECU off a totalled car) and then go for the whole MIVEC shebang later on?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:17   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are you still willing to put in more money into this project?? Sorry to sound negative but it seem sot be a never ending pit to me. Why not save the money for now (Get a used ECU off a totalled car) and then go for the whole MIVEC shebang later on?
I know what you're saying, and I agree 100% with you - it has been a bottomless pit of sorts for me. I had pretty much decided that I won't spend any more on this, apart from the odd bits and pieces (seatbelts, damping etc).
Now, the ECU is something that I need, to realize the true potential of whatever mods I have put into this car. I got a brief taste of that, and it felt really sweet.

As for a used ECU - I'm skeptical of getting one in good condition here. I don't want to spend, say half the amount of a new ECU on a used one, only for it to screw up in a few days. A new one would probably give me a bit more peace of mind, and that's something very important to me now. If you can help me locate an ECU which would be in good condition, I'll be very happy to save the dough!
MIVEC is a pipe dream for now.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:36   #522
Senior - BHPian

Ok, will see what I can do, till then keep smoking the pipe & the dream within!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:23   #523
BANNED

Abhishek,

Hope you are happy and now convinced that there is nothing wrong with the engine but your electronics(as confirmed yesterday) that need to be replaced.

Dont worry the Phoenix will shine and perform. just plop in a RD ECU and you will be set.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:44   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
just plop in a RD ECU and you will be set.

Viper
Viperjee, hum kab se Razor Singh ko yehi bol rahe hai..
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:52   #525
BHPian

@ Razor Have you tried your ECU in another Lancer? I assume you using correct OEM ECU Part#, Year/Revision which came as original in your car with the engine.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote