Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th July 2007, 21:21   #1
BHPian

Default Average decreasing after installation of LPG

Hello,

well just last month i purchased a used 99 siena 1.6 elx Fully loaded with power steering, power windows, central locking and AC, run about 68k , single owner mumbai registered.

The day i got i immediately went over to fit LPG into the car, i fit a 60 kg/ltr tank in the boot and since then my average my become 4

Well this car was bought for family outings as its very spacious and inspite of having an LPG in the boot there is still ample space to put in a few bags.

well after fitting of LPG i drove in town for a while and the lpg got over rather fast , then over weekend i took my family to lonalva, and belive me a full tank of LPG lasted me exactly 202 kms with part ac driving and i went trough the mum- pune expressway and didnt even cross 80km/hr,
i had to come back on petrol and was really wild at this cause i expected my lpg to last all the way back as well. cause my dealer told me its recommended to fit 80% of the full tank capacity.

when i was coming back on petrol without ac the car gave an avg of 13, cause i did tank up and reset tripto meter and tanked up again in mumbai, and recently also i did the same with lpg in the city and its giving me an avg of less than 5 in the city with LPG, i showed the car to the LPG fellow and he slowed the engine a bit which was a little fast but it hasnt helped since then.

now i dunno wat to do, can any one please suggest wat i can do now?
has anyone else faced this kind of an issue?

cause i cant use the car with such bad average at all. it'll be more expensive that petrol

Thanks

Zeeshan
zeeshan suleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 21:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get the air filter cleaned every week.
I am sure your tuner knows nuts about tuning a LPG car, find a better tuner.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 22:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Get the air filter cleaned every week.
I am sure your tuner knows nuts about tuning a LPG car, find a better tuner.

Ive just got a new air filter, plugs, engine oil and petrol filter as well. And i just opened it yesterday and it was sitting there almost as good as new, not much dust on it
Old 17th July 2007, 22:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Usually there is around 10% to 15% drop in efficiency from petrol when on LPG, I believe there has to be some alteration to the ignition system when running on LPG to get good mileage,does the ignition on siena alter itself? You have not mentioned the mileage on petrol with ac on,cause 13 kmpl is good but I do not think 1.6L fiat will give more than 10 kmpl... that to with a very light foot. it drop like a brick with with a heavy foot.
Also whats the lpg Tank capacity? the trip you mentioned was up hill on lpg[mileage drops] and on petrol was down hill.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 17:50   #5
BHPian

honestly, since i've bought the car all i did was drive a little in the city i.e getting seat covers done and tints done and the tune up at the mechs so i havent reallly driven a lot and the next thing i left for lonavla.

well, while going on LPG i was using the mumbai pune expressway where the uphill is not felt that much except for a very few turns so i don't think it should affect that much should it?

yeah it automatically switches from petrol to LPG the moment you rev the car after startup. when this happens u hear a tick sounds that comes from the LPG tank, and also ther LPG meter lights up the moment it switches to LPG, hopefully i'll drive it a lot this weekend LPG just to make sure.

this weekend when i go for long drives should i drive with the ac off or on? please suggest.

Thanks
Old 18th July 2007, 23:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

get a leak check done first. what brand of lpg kit? how much you paid for it.
60 lt tank is supposed to take 48 lt max. where from you filled lpg? all pumps are not good.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 00:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

All I want to say is there is a lot of difference in mileage with ac ON and OFF, if you have got ac car use it... just get the Lpg setup right. As gigy said check for leeks. and the filling station you buy the gas from.
As I said earlier only 10 to 15 % decease is all...that it, by what you say your getting more 50%, no use running on Lpg than.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

go thru this thread..it may help you..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...o-1-6-gtx.html (LPG Kit fitment for a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX)
Old 19th July 2007, 01:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
All I want to say is there is a lot of difference in mileage with ac ON and OFF, if you have got ac car use it... just get the Lpg setup right. As gigy said check for leeks. and the filling station you buy the gas from.
As I said earlier only 10 to 15 % decease is all...that it, by what you say your getting more 50%, no use running on Lpg than.

I dont think there is a 'lot' of difference in mileage with AC on or off, there could be marginal difference which is as good on petrol as it is on LPG.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
get a leak check done first. what brand of lpg kit? how much you paid for it.
60 lt tank is supposed to take 48 lt max. where from you filled lpg? all pumps are not good.

Yeah he had told me 48 is max, i usually fill from bombay central, the pump opposite navjeevan society. actually i dont even know where all LPG stations are in mumbai, only know 3: bombay central, dockyard road, and shivaji park.

My fitter told me that the max amt depends on wat angle the bottle head is kept, if the valve is upright u can fill 48+ but he says 48 is wat u should put cause its flamable gas. and its not recommended to put more than 80% of the total capacity.
Old 19th July 2007, 15:58   #11
BHPian

Could you gimme a list of all good pumps with LPG, please can you explain how does the pump make the diff, i knew that in petrol as some pumps mixed and did all jhol, does this also apply to LPG ?
Old 19th July 2007, 16:07   #12
BHPian

I got mine done for 18 K with the entry on the RC Book, the Kit is called Voltron.
Old 20th July 2007, 15:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Get the tuning correct, and u'll get petrol-ish mileage.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 15:40   #14
BHPian

Unhappy

I did get the tuning done just after LPG was fitted, still no improvement
Old 20th July 2007, 19:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

cant comment on the brand as never heard about it from anyone. should have gone for reputed brands for 18k i think its a open loop system.the mixer is prime suspect if everthing else is checked. mixer are made locally and its a important thing. put in a lambda control if its mpfi car.
adultered lpg is difficult but the mix its made of may matter, not too sure of it since there is a standard chemical composition. personally i found lpg of IOC best and HP worst.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote