Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 21st October 2008, 16:08   #16
BHPian

A camera lens open to the flying objects at high speed is almost certain to be damaged. All it will take is a small pebble, or even a bug can damage the lens.

There are 2 possiblities:

1. Remove the passenger side sun visor and fit a bracket clamp to it. Attach the camera using suitable damping material.

2. Design a mount to fit the holes in the passenger side headrest (after removing the headrest, ofcourse).

Using vaccuum stands is not a good idea as there will be lot of vibration. With proper focussing and cleaning of the windshield, you can get good videos without the reflection of the windscreen.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 16:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Somebody will probably steal your camera in no time if you mount it outside the car. If you mount the camera close enough to the windshield, you wont get reflections on the shots taken. I have a webcam mounted close to the windshield, no reflections whatsoever.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 19:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

Tejas,

I picked this up for my car -
Amazon.com: Panavise 809 CCTV Camera Window Mount: Camera & Photo

Havent had the chance to use it yet (inside the car) and probably wont have the heart to use it on the outside until i get a cheaper / lighter "camcorder".

This one seems more trustable for outside-mounted stuff (they have multiple pads == some redundancy!) >
Sticky Pod-Camera Mounts

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 19:25   #19
BHPian

Ask your passenger to shoot while you drive! If you are trying to shoot and drive at the same time, I dont think it is a wise idea.. even if you mount it somewhere/anywhere.

The passenger can shoot at almost bumper level with a bit of imagination and a secure grip!
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to make it clear to everyone. I don't want to record the whole journey. Just a part on the highway where i can do good speed and the road is smooth and scenic.
So the possibility of the camera being stolen is minimum.

What i have done is that i have bought a shoulder camera harness/mount.
There is a gap between the bonnet and the grill in the front. I'm gonna somehow fix the harness to it using a clamp.

I'l put up pictures as soon as i get something in working order.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
... I don't want to record the whole journey. Just a part on the highway ...
There is a gap between the bonnet and the grill in the front. I'm gonna somehow fix the harness to it using a clamp. ...
How do you intend to start / stop the recording when you want? The camcorder would not be very accessible, one must say, in that position, no? Nor is the remote going to work?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Just to make it clear to everyone. I don't want to record the whole journey. Just a part on the highway where i can do good speed and the road is smooth and scenic.
So the possibility of the camera being stolen is minimum.

What i have done is that i have bought a shoulder camera harness/mount.
There is a gap between the bonnet and the grill in the front. I'm gonna somehow fix the harness to it using a clamp.

I'l put up pictures as soon as i get something in working order.
The dust, dirt and insects that the lens is going to collect while on will spoil it no time - unless it is mounted in special casings. Not to mention rain.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
How do you intend to start / stop the recording when you want? The camcorder would not be very accessible, one must say, in that position, no? Nor is the remote going to work?
when i reach a particular stretch, i'm gonna pull over, fix the whole contraption to the car, start the record process, drive maybe 10kms and remove it again.

I'm making a video of the trip for friends of the whole trip so the recording of the entire drive would be quite boring.

I'm a mac addict, so editing the video is going to be a breeze...

As for insects and pebbles, i have a plexiglass lens shield so that wouldn't be a problem.
i'm not expecting rain on the way either, and if it does, then i won't fix it.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 22nd October 2008 at 16:38.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Check out fellow member btirthankar's blog. All his videos are from a dashboard cam and they've come out good.

Indian Automobiles Emerging Scenario 1995 +

If the link is not working, PM him for details.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Check out fellow member btirthankar's blog. All his videos are from a dashboard cam and they've come out good.

Indian Automobiles Emerging Scenario 1995 +

If the link is not working, PM him for details.
Thanks. Saw the video, its great. However, i don't want the bonnet to come into the frame at all as in his video. All i want is the road. That's the problem, otherwise the passenger could have held the camera and problem solved. Zooming in front of the bonnet would then seem to be a good idea but as you zoom in, it also magnifies the vibrations and unsteady hand movements.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

tejas are u planning this on the accord or on the city? or any other car?? the windshield suction thing will never help. the video will be more jumpy than it would be if your passenger held it while driving..
i think a good solution would be to mount it on the roof. you said you have a plexiglass cover right. try stretching a belt (thick rubber belt) on the roof from the drivers side to the passengers side from the outside and secure it on the inside. sounds complicated but might work out best. anything below the waistline will be fatal for the camera and might end up ruining the video. on the roof with minimal zoom it wil be stable.
if you want ill come by and help. but first arrange for a stretchable rubber belt of say 5-6 feet.
another means of securing this maybe by placing an acrylic shelf kinda thing on the roof and using the same rubber belt to fasten it and tie it down to the roof.
difficult sounding stuff! good diy challenge
frankmehta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
tejas are u planning this on the accord or on the city? or any other car?? the windshield suction thing will never help. the video will be more jumpy than it would be if your passenger held it while driving..
i think a good solution would be to mount it on the roof. you said you have a plexiglass cover right. try stretching a belt (thick rubber belt) on the roof from the drivers side to the passengers side from the outside and secure it on the inside. sounds complicated but might work out best. anything below the waistline will be fatal for the camera and might end up ruining the video. on the roof with minimal zoom it wil be stable.
if you want ill come by and help. but first arrange for a stretchable rubber belt of say 5-6 feet.
another means of securing this maybe by placing an acrylic shelf kinda thing on the roof and using the same rubber belt to fasten it and tie it down to the roof.
difficult sounding stuff! good diy challenge
Frank, its to be attached in my friend's NHC. Again, i want shots of skimming the road, not high shots or shots where the bonnet can be seen.
I'm gonna try my contraption on friday evening so if you free, come over. Also want to experiment it with night mode on...
Maybe we'll perfect a good mount and sell it on eBay! what say?
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... or shots where the bonnet can be seen. ...
Tejas, even if you mount the camcorder on the dash or on the windshield (using a suction mount), you can avoid the bonnet and the windshield edges intruding into the frame by zooming just slightly. Try it.

Mounting the camera low will cause some more problems, unless you want really dramatic shots ALL the time.
* 40% of the frame will be either tarmac or sky (based on where you focus). Mounted higher, you get more of the scenery than tarmac or sky
* The extremes of the car deflect more than any point within the cabin when the body moves up and down or rolls. Despite image stabilization, the shots will be quite nauseating for any viewer because of the constant movement w.r.t. near-field objects
* Dust kicked up and smoke created by vehicles before you near the road surface will make the images smoggy
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a member of a photography club as well and a few members have made a modified rig and i'm gonna try that out today.
Description of the rig:
They take a monopod (it's like a tripod but with one leg) and weld it to a clamp.
This clamp can now be secured to any car of the body: the bonnet, door, etc.
and the camera is securely fixed to the monopod mount.
Let's see how this experiment works out.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default in-car camcorder stand!

I always wanted to mount my camcorder inside the car so that it can hold firmly, so that the recording can include the driver, dashboard also (just like the one fitted on rally car).

This (pictures below) is a home-made stand that fits on the passenger's seat headrest, allowing hands-free filming from the driver's viewpoint.. was wondering, if such a stand/holder is already available in the market! Has anyone had it custom made? Please share your views..

Name:  1543821653_ccfaacaacf.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  1543822587_e8c7bb264c.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  167.3 KB
Name:  1544686048_7830aa60b4.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  187.0 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  159.4 KB

Last edited by iTNerd : 14th December 2009 at 17:14.
iTNerd is online now   Reply With Quote