Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th September 2007, 21:47   #1
BHPian

Default Scratch(writings) removal?

Hi guys,

To keep things short, yesterday morning when I removed my car from its covers and took it outside my gates I got a rude shock. Some 3@$1@2) has left his creative skills on the bonnet of my car. There are large wordings etched on the bonnet and this has really put me down. Normal scratches I can take but offensive wordings on the bonnet is something that I cannot leave as it is.

Now I don't know what you call minor scratches or deep scratches, but I can feel these scratches if I run my fingers over them. Can I somehow get rid of these? Will simple polishing do or do I have to do some extensive scrubbing/re-painting work to get rid of these?

Could you also please guide me as to where I can do these repairs and who will do a good/best job in Bangalore without screwing up the paint job and or doing other damages. Also if you can give me an estimate on how much it would cost and what all has to be done, it would be really helpful. To give you an idea on the work involved, almost 40% of the bonnet has been written on.

Thanks a mil.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that. I dont know what people get by doind this to others cars.

Anyways i suppose you need to get paint touch up and if they are minor a nice polish can get them away.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:59   #3
BHPian

very sad to hear this,these kind of people may be having some jealously factor/inferiority complex.do keep us posted after you show the scratches to an expert and what could be the solution
merains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 22:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear about that,even i had some Absuive words written on the bonet of my ikon,swear if i get that person it will be his last few minutes seeing himself alrite The best idea from my side for your cars bonet is put a black sheet over it and lacker it,style ka style and cheaper than re-painting the bonet i guess.cheers
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 22:18   #5
BHPian

why don't you post a pic so we can get a better idea,same thing was done to my car but only deep scratches that too done by a 75 year old doc had to repaint my bonnet
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 00:16   #6
BHPian

If the scratch is minor, try in 3M's shop near BDA complex, Indiranagar. It is in 10th cross, a narrow road between a Punjabi dhaba and Just Bake cake shop (on the road connecting BDA complex and 100' Rd). I went there to just enquire about scratch treatment but one nice guy there worked on my minor scratches (and showed me they apparently go away) absolutely free of charge. I ended up buying the material (3M Finesse-it) so that I can treat the minor scratches myself at home.

Kousik
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 00:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've faced a similar problem. Some people are just sick, jealous bast***s.
The thumb-rule is, if you can feel the scratches, they will most likely need a touch-up or a repainting.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 06:49   #8
BHPian

Get paint touch up done. As you can feel the scratches, the scratch removing compounds may not be of help.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 07:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
but I can feel these scratches if I run my fingers over them.
This sounds bad. Scratches are deep enough to go for a paint job.

There are workshops who can help in half the cost of your dealer/service point. Let me know where you stay and pm me for workshop's detail. But I can get back to you only after 10am today.

Hope this helps.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 10:23   #10
BHPian

If the scratches are white (cut your paint) then u need to touch up or repaint. Has happened to my previous car so I know exactly how it feels.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 04:50   #11
BANNED

a good rubbing compound will help.. but not much.. yes they will be less prominent.. some kid wrote 2+2=22 (dumb kid or a really pissed off neighbour) on my black accent.. rubbing and polishing has helped quite a lot... say abt 70%

it's worth a try i say....
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:32   #12
BHPian

Hi
I got a few scratches on my Swift recently. Any leads on where i can do the touch up in Mumbai - Western suburbs?

The scratches happened during reversing - misjudged and grazed the RHS of the front bumper against a tree . Its also got a small dent which i reckon can be removed.

I have a sunlight copper color car and the scratches seem to have removed some paint off - as i can see some patches of black on the scratches there - will a touch up job be possible?

Please help!!!
ceebeezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 14:00   #13
BHPian

Guys,

As a first aid try out Formula 1's [COLOR=navy][FONT=Verdana]Scratch Out, this will help to some extent( cost around 150-200rs).[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][FONT=Verdana]However, you get many other products from 3M, Turtle etc[/FONT][/COLOR]
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 14:05   #14
BHPian

Also by the way on JC road check out Auto world, he deals in Com-paint cans.

The best part id you get exact shades for cars from diff stable, this is good sol too.
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 16:02   #15

Unhappy

Sad to hear about that. In the market u get some thjing called as the touch up paint. Wht u need to do is shake the bottle well and and take a little amount of paint in a container and use a sharp edge of the tooth pick and run the paint over scratch but be very carefull cause if dont run it excatly over the scratch it will look a little odd.

Cause this wht i did whn my car was scratched and i jus droved it home from the showroom.

keep me posted, one more thing tell the shopkeeper the exact color or else it will be a mess. All the best
SilverStreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote