Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th September 2007, 07:49   #1

Default Siena 1.7TD .... RIP ??

hi guys,
Recently had an "incident" with my siena whereby i ended up on the wrong side of the road in oncoming traffic .
As if this wasn't hair raising enough......when i managed to finally limp to a garage it turns out that the engine was in pretty bad shape coz of the impact (while i was trying to somersault over the lane divider) .
Anyways ... it turns out that i need to get a half-engine in order to get things working again. according to him i need a Block,Connector and Head since mine were pretty banged up/cracked up or something(according to the mechanic).
Myself being a novice in this ... i wanted to know if replacing them makes sense ? also....i am being offered the same for 7-10K in bombay.....a complete second-hand engine for 20-25K(bombay again) and a new boxed engine for about 40K in pune (Siena 1.7TD).
Are the prices right or am i being fleeced ? and which seems to be the best option since i am on a tight budget(who isn't) of around 20-25K.

P.S. i would prefer to source the parts/engine from a genuine person rather than these garagewala types. So, if anyone has these parts and/or knows someone who does plz do give me a shout.
gour.vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 11:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Where is your car in Pune? I would love to take a look at it if possible please?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 12:55   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If you need the block, connectings and the head, thats comprises of the WHOLE engine. Don't know what that guy meant by half an engine then. I suggest you kindly get the situation verified once again by some knowledgeable people.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 23:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

40K for a boxed engine sounds about right. That is the price it is available in Chennai for.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 07:42   #5

hi all,

thanks a lot for ur inputs.

@moralfibre - its in hinjewadi.....near the main hinjewadi chowk.....i banged it on the katraj-dehu rd. bypass and hinjewadi was the most i could make it to. would be really helpful if u could take a look at it.

@mclaren1885 - ya i know...hopefully mf will take a look....coz i have a strong suspicion that i am being robbed blind.

@jyobeb - yep...thought so....coz the boxed set i am getting is from a showroom....so i guess the prices would be pretty even across pune/chennai etc etc.

Thanks a lot guys for ur inputs.....hope to get my pretty lady back on the road soon
Old 28th September 2007, 09:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gour.vijay View Post
@moralfibre - its in hinjewadi.....near the main hinjewadi chowk.....i banged it on the katraj-dehu rd. bypass and hinjewadi was the most i could make it to. would be really helpful if u could take a look at it.
Vijay, B.U. Bhandari is a stones throw distance away from Hinjewadi chowk. Exactly 1.5 kms. This is an authorized Fiat service center. I am PM'ing you the number of my friend who works there as a Works Manager. Very genuine fellow.

Recently a friends friend got a 1.6 GTX engine for about 60-65k so 40k sounds about right for me for a new engine.
Old 28th September 2007, 11:16   #7

ok....thanks a ton mf.....will get in touch with him today and see how it goes from there
Old 28th September 2007, 12:11   #8
BANNED

New engine is best bet !
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:37   #9

@nicejits - yep....safest bet seems to just plonk a new engine in...but the dough is the problem not too many wads of them lying around with me.....infact i was saving up the 20-25k i have now for a new ICE setup....:( seems that has to wait for a few more months till diwali bonus.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gour.vijay View Post
@nicejits - yep....safest bet seems to just plonk a new engine in...but the dough is the problem not too many wads of them lying around with me.....infact i was saving up the 20-25k i have now for a new ICE setup....:( seems that has to wait for a few more months till diwali bonus.
Well actually alternately you could just look for a second hand engine from the used market (chor bazaar). Last I remember there is a 1.9 Fiat Diesel engine lying here in the local chor bazaar. Shouldn't be a problem to source for 20-30k. Fitting could be a problem. Check with TURBOSAM and he should know.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Remove every useable part from ur current engine and take it to the engine seller when U're buying it.
He'll give U a good price for the Fiat engine spares.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 17:12   #12

@moralfibre - 1.9 diesel ? does that fit into a 1.7td ? also also got some uno engines but it seems that there r slight differences between the siena and the uno engines due to which they r not interchangable (thats what i was told anyways). incidently is the 1.9 in mumbai or pune ? coz transporting engines is a bit of gray area...right ? especially if its sourced from chor bazar without proper papers....so if its in mumbai can that be a bit of a problem ?

@nitrous - u bet.....being on a tight budget...if i do end up going the new engine route....i will damn well make sure that i milk my old one for every cent and then some more
Old 28th September 2007, 17:48   #13
BHPian

MF there is a chor bazar in pune as well?
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 18:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
MF there is a chor bazar in pune as well?
Yes sir there is one in Pune by the name of Juna Bazaar.

Vijay, the 1.9D engine was in Pune Chor bazaar. I am not sure about interchangeability but you can check this with TURBOSAM.
Old 7th October 2007, 02:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Yes sir there is one in Pune by the name of Juna Bazaar.

Vijay, the 1.9D engine was in Pune Chor bazaar. I am not sure about interchangeability but you can check this with TURBOSAM.
Great i don't have to travel as far as bombay then!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote