Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 19:24   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default Need a DC Power cord

Hi,
I have a Jump starter/inverter/inflator combo which is missing the DC power cord(it was optional and I forgot to buy it).
Is there any place in Delhi where I can get a good quality one made.
Its actually very simple to make myself, but I will have to buy two cheapest card 12V DC powered devices, cut the wires and connect them together to get it


The problem is that it should handle 15A without burning out, and thats quite a bit of current for cheap cell phone chargers.
So the best bet would be to get one custom made with to heavy duty male connectors.
Any suggestions folks?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 19:56   #2
BHPian
 
nitroxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DXB
Posts: 817
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

its a DIY bro, just go ahead and use two connectors and check for the wire load rating to be more than 15 Amps and youre done..
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 23:16   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
its a DIY bro, just go ahead and use two connectors and check for the wire load rating to be more than 15 Amps and youre done..
Yes DIY
I can get a 15amp wire, no sweat. Infact I plan to put in a diode and make it one way.
But one tiny problem, the things which go into the power socket are mostly 5A.
Where will I get a 15A(sustained) male car socket plug?

My first try was to cut open the phone charger.
Sure I can jugaad a 15A fuse instead of the 5A one, but the problem is that the inside will burn(small wires).
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:56   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes DIY
I can get a 15amp wire, no sweat. Infact I plan to put in a diode and make it one way.
But one tiny problem, the things which go into the power socket are mostly 5A.
Where will I get a 15A(sustained) male car socket plug?

My first try was to cut open the phone charger.
Sure I can jugaad a 15A fuse instead of the 5A one, but the problem is that the inside will burn(small wires).
The internal wire of the car cannot take not more than 5A load. I would suggest to get a good quality socket from the market take thick wire from the battery put a relay and to switch on the relay use the power of the earlier cigarette lighter wire.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 13:03   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Mine is after market. It was put on a 10A harness.
BTW how about this.
I get a male car plug connector rated for 15A, connect it to battery permanently(end connection open, so its okay, and if it shorts you have fuse.
that way I can directly connect the male into the inflator(which will draw around 7-8A max).
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 12:33   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Ok guys need your help here.
I checked out the market.
If I want to go DIY I need to buy 2 phone chargers and cut off the phone side. But one major problem, they are 3-5 Volts. I need to find a device which plugs into the lighter socket and runs on 12V.
Could not find any such device.
I need to buy two such things and then cut off the wires.
Any tips?

I am told that some shops sell electronic inflators which plug into lighter socket. They use DC-DC power chord, right? Can a cord be had separately. Any help appreciated!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 00:06   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

what has dc volt rating got to do with the connectors? my understanding is you need good connectors (ciggie lighter attachment) which you will join with good quality wires, try looking for some car emergency lights or similar accessories with ciggie light attachment and use it (solder the wires at the terminal ends itself (inside).
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 00:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

My God. Such a lamba method. Crazy man, lol.

MX makes and sells cigarette lighter males pins. You can buy it at any MX distributor shop - in delhi try Lajpat something near Bhagirath something. You dont need to cut anything. These are openable and you will be able to soder a 12-16 gauge wire into it.

I have made a wonderful 12V emergency light using this pin. And it will handle an air pump easy.

The other option is to use it on one side and connect the other to the battery, but that is overkill.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
what has dc volt rating got to do with the connectors? my understanding is you need good connectors (ciggie lighter attachment) which you will join with good quality wires, try looking for some car emergency lights or similar accessories with ciggie light attachment and use it (solder the wires at the terminal ends itself (inside).
by having low DC volt rating the output voltage won't be 12V which tsk is looking for. Also as this charger cable is meant for charging mobile it won't be able to withstand higher current passing through them.

Tsk how about this, why don't you try to use Laptop charger thread.
Or if you are in really hardcore DIY guy, then open that mobile charger. Change resistances to get output of 12V and then put it back up with higher current carrying cables.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 01:46   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
My God. Such a lamba method. Crazy man, lol.

MX makes and sells cigarette lighter males pins. You can buy it at any MX distributor shop - in delhi try Lajpat something near Bhagirath something. You dont need to cut anything. These are openable and you will be able to soder a 12-16 gauge wire into it.

I have made a wonderful 12V emergency light using this pin. And it will handle an air pump easy.

The other option is to use it on one side and connect the other to the battery, but that is overkill.
Wow thank you.
I will check out lajpat nagar for Make lighter pins. Exactly what I need!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 10:29   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

its not in lajpat nagar. Its in Lajpatrai Market. The shop is Soni Electronics. 199 or 99 Lajpatrai Market.

EDIT:
Googled for SONI Electronics:
[SIZE=-1]SONI ELECTRONICS, 292, Lajpatrai Market, Chandni Chowk,, Delhi - 110 006

They are authorised dealers for MX in Delhi :-)
[/SIZE]

Last edited by SumitB : 17th October 2007 at 10:32.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 11:21   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Can I get MX audio stuff in noida? chandni chowk is tooooo far
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:26   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
by having low DC volt rating the output voltage won't be 12V which tsk is looking for. Also as this charger cable is meant for charging mobile it won't be able to withstand higher current passing through them.

adya am talking about just the plug, read as, NO wire and NO step down circuit. the ciggie lighter plug will not change volt rating

Since MX has stuff just procure that and do some soldering and wiring, to make it more quirky fix the lighter attachment (female) at convenient location (boot) with high grade wiring from batt and a switch.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:02   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
adya am talking about just the plug, read as, NO wire and NO step down circuit. the ciggie lighter plug will not change volt rating

Since MX has stuff just procure that and do some soldering and wiring, to make it more quirky fix the lighter attachment (female) at convenient location (boot) with high grade wiring from batt and a switch.
I was earlier planning to cut a cell phone charger, but that changes the voltage to 3 or 5 V depending upon the model.
Therefore I was looking for a plug which does not alter voltage. MX has the stuff. The next question is where to find a dealer in noida.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn) DKG Pre-War 165 23rd August 2017 12:20
Matching HU amp power with Speaker power? hitra In-Car Entertainment 21 25th March 2015 16:18
Maruti Esteem - Non Power Steering to Power Steering udit78 Modifications & Accessories 14 4th May 2011 13:29
subwoofer power and battery power requirement smats In-Car Entertainment 22 18th October 2006 11:51
Please suggest - power windows, power steering from one Esteem to another pramodkumar Technical Stuff 4 1st September 2006 09:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks