Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th August 2006, 02:24   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey i own a zen and was just contemplating whether i can make it a ezen.can somebody please shed some more light on it.
1.how much would the mpfi esteem engine cost?can i get a second hand engine?
2.can i retain the gearbox of the zen and mate it to the esteem engine.is it possible or do i need to buy the esteem gearbox too?
3.if i buy a new engine,does the ecu come with that or i have to buy it seperately/how much does the ecu cost?
4.i do know that il have to put the esteem brakes ?
5.what else will be changed.
6.will i have to change the suspension too.
7.will there be a lot of mods to the engine bay.are the mounting brackets of the zen and the esteem engine same.
can somebody give a breakup of the cost involved and the part that need to be changed.
dom,psycho,viper,naditya please help as i will have to start buttering up my dad
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 10:23   #167
BANNED

Hi,

My answers in bold.

Viper

hey i own a zen and was just contemplating whether i can make it a ezen.can somebody please shed some more light on it.
1.how much would the mpfi esteem engine cost?can i get a second hand engine? Approx 50k for engine + ecm only. Overhauling the same advisable.
2.can i retain the gearbox of the zen and mate it to the esteem engine.is it possible or do i need to buy the esteem gearbox too? Yes you can retain the gearbox howering the gearing will be short.
3.if i buy a new engine,does the ecu come with that or i have to buy it seperately/how much does the ecu cost? Answered above
4.i do know that il have to put the esteem brakes ? Not necessary.
5.what else will be changed. Alternator + brake booster + exhaust manifold and some small hoses etc.
6.will i have to change the suspension too. NO
7.will there be a lot of mods to the engine bay.are the mounting brackets of the zen and the esteem engine same. for MPFi a lot of wiring to be done. YES
can somebody give a breakup of the cost involved and the part that need to be changed. Difficult to do so as everyone charges different rates.

Would suggest you to go in for a Carb esteem engine using a Webber 40 DCOE carb. Will be quicker than a MPFI esteem engine and a lot cheaper & simpler to install.

dom,psycho,viper,naditya please help as i will have to start buttering up my dad

Last edited by viper : 29th August 2006 at 10:36.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 22:32   #168
BANNED

@viper:hey thanx a lot.by short gearing you mean that it will have a fast acceleration but the top speed wont be that high.
is the webber carb easily available.
i did not understand what you meant by "overhauling the same advisable".is 50k the price for a second hand engine.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 08:26   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
@viper:hey thanx a lot.by short gearing you mean that it will have a fast acceleration but the top speed wont be that high.
is the webber carb easily available.
i did not understand what you meant by "overhauling the same advisable".is 50k the price for a second hand engine.

Hi,

Yes you understood correctly. Webbers are not too difficult source you should have some good contacts. 50k is the approx. price for 2nd hand engine.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 23:06   #170
BHPian

hey guys just a wild thought about how this could work,

1)Anyone tried out the Swift Engine head on an E-ZEN setup(Esteem engine +Swift head).will it be a good option?
2)What are the changes required in terms of fitting,to run an MPFI Esteem engine with an Esteem CARB.what wil be the drop in BHP if its a Carb set up?
raghuram.cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 02:26   #171
BHPian

hey buddy you've been told the major detail's already..the option of going with the carb is more suitable because it gives you more tuning option's..also the 40 mm dcoe webber is one of its kind..the tuning is very tedeous..but once you crack it right..there's no stopping it...you'll have to build a custom intake manifold for optimum performace from the carb..also engine overhauling would include replacing gasket's with replacement's of the piston and piston ring as requeired other parts such as con rod's and all can also follow up..everything else is pretty much compatible from the zen that includes the gear box,fuel pump etc etc...do let me know your progress..cheers..happy revvin...!!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 06:00   #172

i'm gonna start a 1.3 swift GTi swap project for my 1996 european suzuki alto.
i will be posting my findings here.
i hope it will work..

the 1.6 GTi as we call the esteem with swift GTi head is torqueish, but will break down above 6000 RPM but if that is not a problem u will have a very good engine..

but the 1.3 GTi is a faster, lighter engine and with the right chip it will rev. about 8500 RPM, and with a simpel turbo setup 190 RPM at the crankshaft could be accomplished

this is what the guys here who tried found out..
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 18:33   #173
BHPian

Tooo much for so little design, Zen already is loded with heavy engine.
To achive the new change, lots of thing have to be changed.
The engine compartment structure, load balancing, brakes, supensions.
parimal_vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 04:21   #174
Senior - BHPian

is it easy to re - register and E zen in the RTO ? whats the procedure and cost. is this necessary and recommended or should one just go ahead with a swap ? what have the other guys who own E zens and B zens done ? what about insurance will it cause a problem ?

Rev
revtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 12:56   #175
BHPian

Good query there Revtech. I would like to add....Is it legal to do so? I think not.....coz if there some kind of a problem like a mishap or a theft & if cops are involved, the 'heart transplant' will be considered as a cerious offence in the first place. Wont it?
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:38   #176
Senior - BHPian

no replys ?? goes who have done it please help
Old 6th March 2007, 19:37   #177
BANNED

No an engine transplant of such manner is ILLEGAL .. In fact any transplant (even if its the same engine) which doesnt bear the same engine code as in the RC book is deemed illegal unless permission is sought from the RTO ..
So , all the e-zens and b-zens are infact illegal .. But its quite rare that the cops check .. The only problem is in case of an accident ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 19:41   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
.. The only problem is in case of an accident ..
What about Insurance.. I dont think you can get insurance for the vehicle..

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 19:55   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
What about Insurance.. I dont think you can get insurance for the vehicle..

Godfather
Well as long as the insurance guys dont figure out what engine is running its not a problem .. However insurance renewals wont be a problem .. Like i said , its only when you bang you are in trouble ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 21:24   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well as long as the insurance guys dont figure out what engine is running its not a problem .. However insurance renewals wont be a problem .. Like i said , its only when you bang you are in trouble ..
what happens then ?