Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th March 2007, 21:30   #181
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
what happens then ?
Well you cant claim insurance thats about it .. Incase of a total loss that is , unless you can get down to swapping the stock engine back ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 21:31   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what happens then ?
Either you pay up for the expenses from your own pocket at your local garage/tuner
because if you are going to claim insurance then you will have to leave the vehicle at a authorised service station.. imagine the shock for the insurer when he is told that the zen requires a new esteem/baleno head, . This is in case of a frontal collision where the engine is damaged a bit..wow you cant even claim total loss here.. in events of normal body damage it should not be a problem at all..

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 00:02   #183
BHPian

Thanks for confirming mclaren1885.

Guys, I dont see insurance as a major problem coz TP insurance would suffice. Though its not correct to do so.

az
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 06:19   #184
Senior - BHPian

but then you cant insure your car so you would have to end up paying if something happens...getting totalled is whats in my mind. but isnt there a way of gettin it registered at the RTO ? why wont they do it ?

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 08:18   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
b but isnt there a way of gettin it registered at the RTO ? why wont they do it ?
Rev
Because according to the new regulations one is not allowed to swap engines .. Be it from petrol to diesel like in the case of the isuzu petrol or the diesel engines for the ambys or the contis .. The only criteria to swap engines is when a car meets with an accident and if the engine is beyond repair a swap shall be carried out by the company alone and this shall be informed to the RTO with necessary proof and documentation for the need to swap the engine .. However the engine must be of the same make and cubic capacity as shown in the RC book ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 12:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

my tp insurance is gone now plannin to get first party done will keep this updated soon. also if u do a swap. please do not things like totally the car and cost involved in makin it back on the road. the point is drive it properly and safely on the road make sure u do not do stunts and most of all love your life more than the car. if u total the car are u gonna come out alive of it to fix it. i still havent put my car in 3rd gear after 120 in the second i dont have the feeling to go faster or i run out of road. drive safe man. forget the totalling thing. this is for everyone here. its easy to swap, easy to drive to. its how u want to.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 13:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

dude.....accidents arent always your fault !!! i had met with an accident a few months back when i was at the speed of 3 kmph but still costed me over a lakh !! the other person admitted it was his fault entirely so thats why it was just in my mind.

Rev
Old 7th March 2007, 13:55   #188
Senior - BHPian

From what little i know, i believe engine swapping is possible & endorsable with the RTO & also Insurance is available as long as you declare the whole thing correctly, albeit the premium will be more than normal.

If the same type of engine is swapped, the hassles are lesser, but if it is an upgrade the process is a little different, but NOT illegal. What is illegal though is not making the endorsement in the RC. The RTO has to approve of the modification. Once RTO approves, insurance is available too.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 13:56   #189
Senior - BHPian

well, like has been said, insurance is not going to cover the thing, the only time you need to worry about it is if you go and bang into something else, and there is damage to the other property. if there is, then all hell will break loose, cause then the police case will ask for the engine / chasis number, and you need to put the wrong one in. its a huge hassle and messy in the event of an accident! thats the only flip side!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 14:20   #190
Senior - BHPian

What is generally done in such engine swaps is the original engine number from the RC is endorsed on the Engine..thereby saving a lot of hassles.. It may not be legal though!! But then why does the legal issue come up if the engine has the same engine number??
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 14:26   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
From what little i know, i believe engine swapping is possible & endorsable with the RTO & also Insurance is available as long as you declare the whole thing correctly, albeit the premium will be more than normal.

If the same type of engine is swapped, the hassles are lesser, but if it is an upgrade the process is a little different, but NOT illegal. What is illegal though is not making the endorsement in the RC. The RTO has to approve of the modification. Once RTO approves, insurance is available too.
yea thats what i ahd in mind.this may be a long and tiring process but im sure its possible.but in this case do you have to get the NOC before or after the swap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
What is generally done in such engine swaps is the original engine number from the RC is endorsed on the Engine..thereby saving a lot of hassles.. It may not be legal though!! But then why does the legal issue come up if the engine has the same engine number??
thats kinda sneaky but should work.but im sure if something big happens down the line youll be in trouble.

Rev
Old 7th March 2007, 14:32   #192
Senior - BHPian

well rev,

if something BIG happens..i sure wont live to be in trouble!! But this method though a little "sneaky" as you rightly put works and saves a lot of time and bother..especially with the authorities..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 15:30   #193
BHPian

Question

[quote=headers;386668]well rev, if something BIG happens..i sure wont live to be in trouble!!
Not necessary man. What if some heavy vehicle crushes the entire car when parked on the road.

Esteem_lover could you please shed more light on the non illegal ways of a carrying out a engine swaps
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 16:29   #194
Senior - BHPian

[quote=autozealot;386725]
Quote:
well rev,
Quote:
if something BIG happens..i sure wont live to be in trouble!!
Not necessary man. What if some heavy vehicle crushes the entire car when parked on the road.
yea thats what i meant once again.what if its not ur fault and your vehicle gets banged when parked or something.

any way what im basically interested is whether this can be done legally.

Rev
Old 7th March 2007, 16:33   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot View Post
Esteem_lover could you please shed more light on the non illegal ways of a carrying out a engine swaps
I am not an authority on this subject.

Any modification is illegal per se(yes, even the bull bars). A modification with the approval of the RTO endorsed on your RC is very much VALID & LEGAL. Just check with the local RTO.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote