Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th January 2008, 21:52   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
@v1p3r
Wrong, Chinoy has done a turbo job for a Guy called "papaboost" (I think) along with his esteem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
if i am right the car papaboost car chinoy tuned it after it had melted/blown a piston.
AFAIK, Ron advised papaboost on how to go about, after he initially had issues, as outlined above. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo
and according to me doing turbo on MPFI engines is far easier than on carb

After all, what does the so called MPFI tuners do in India? They get the Race Dynamics
and claim that they themself did the map for it, so their claim to fame is that they know how to install it.
So, have you ever turbocharged either variety of cars? Is this from experience, or are you just copy-pasting from RDDreams?

Quote:
People forget what happened when one of the first turbo car was put against a very nice baleno in Bangalore couple of year back. That baleno was supposed to be the "best" of that time. That ratty turbo esteem wupped baleno, and if I remember correctly, Chinoy did that turbo. That was the turbo story which turned lots of NOS crazy guys to turbo advocates.
Yes, again, WHY do people compare NA cars to turbo cars? Do you also compare WRC cars that can thulp our Indian rally Esteems?

Quote:
But What I heard was that a nice turbo Cedia blew up on first lap at Kari track.. last I heard plugs were blamed.. Funny again.
Ask Chinoy what happened. He was there. No one runs a turbo with 5/6 rating plugs.

Quote:
Indian Funny turbo instals: There was this guy who fixed the turbo near the trunk, and claimed that it is the best position since you dont have to do much for the cooling since its
very far from the heat of the engine..
WAIT, didn't Chinoy himself put this up on his forum, saying it was a brilliant idea?

Quote:
Another good one is about a NA car beating a turbo esteem in chennai drags..
Most guys who are into this scene knows whos car beat whom ..
Yes, that was me driving. We shredded one set of tyres in 2 hours, so that would tell you the traction issues I had. I almost killed Krupesh, addedly, because the car would squirm about off the line.

Renamo, seems like you are one of Ron's followers. Personally, I have a lot of respect for him, but I have NEVER seen his car on track or dragstrip, and I DO NOT listen to people who talk and don't race (that's you btw). The day you drive a turbo car (have you ever?) on track or race it, maybe you will realise how tough it is. Also, the day you tune a carb/MPFI car, you will realise how tough it is. One mistake and you blow things up. If you're lucky, the engine is old and cheap and belongs to you.

Last edited by v1p3r : 14th January 2008 at 22:06.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 22:09   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Motorsport View Post
On a general note,what do u guys think should be the HP.Please,i mean wheel hp and not flywheel hp.
I know the swifts from Blore wll be doing 170hp,their Honda citys are probably doing 185hp.So let kep the Blore cars out of the competion,they are just too good for our cars.
I would think 120 whp would be good at 7 pounds. And if you find a 170 hp Swift here, let me know. I'd love to see it.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:48   #213
Senior - BHPian

Wow, before I know it this thread has turned into a pissing contest.

renamo, a lot of your post is very relevant, but next time, please be original. We all know where your post's content comes from, as v1p3r has pointed out.

chinoy has carved out a niche for himself with some great work. but somehow each tuner in our country seems to have a bunch of minions ("satisfied customers") who indulge in these silly online pissing contests and the "I am right, you are wrong" philosophy. Does absolutely JACK for the scene there.

KS man I have a lot of respect for you. For having the courage to invest that kind of money in serious equipment. And I understand your frustration with this crowd. A lot of tall claims flying around. But hell, you're doing nothing for yourself or anyone else by not putting up results!! How about giving everyone a snapshot of your work? Like a proper before and after comparison like someone pointed out.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 14th January 2008 at 22:49.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 23:03   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
After all, what does the so called MPFI tuners do in India? They get the Race Dynamics
and claim that they themself did the map for it, so their claim to fame is that they know how to install it.
Wow. Just wow. This one comment deserves a special post.

Dude, do you even know what the hell is involved in building an entire fuel injection system from scratch? Or even tuning a pre-built system? Do you know how many parameters there are to tune?

You talk about the Racedynamics ECU as if its some cheap toy. I cannot imagine the man-YEARS of labor that has gone into creating that product. But then, neither can you.

Show me ONE guy, just ONE guy in India who has built, integrated, and tuned his own standalone engine management system from scratch. Apart from Race Dynamics.
Old 15th January 2008, 00:16   #215
BHPian

So, Race dynamics is built up from scratch i.e. all the hardware and everything researched and developed right here in India.
Is that correct?
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 00:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Dude, do you even know what the hell is involved in building an entire fuel injection system from scratch? Or even tuning a pre-built system? Do you know how many parameters there are to tune?
I think this whole Need For Speed series of video games seems to be giving people the idea that tuning a FI system is as simple as moving around sliders to adjust "Low Boost" or "High Boost."

It's super difficult to wire a EMS correctly, even more difficult to get an engine to just idle on a new EMS. Let's try and not demean or single out any particular product, or tuner. The scene here is too nascent for all this. Good for all the tuners who can get it right. Kudos to those who try, someday they might get there if they are genuine. For those who are out to con, people will eventually figure them out.

We have one dyno here, but nobody wants to use it. Not even those, who live in the same city. Then people will crib about how tuning here is not on par with abroad. Atleast use all of what is available here.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:26   #217
BHPian

Quote:
He is busy this week,but as soon as he is free,I wll put it on the dyno and u guys can see the graph.
Karan
Thank you, we appreciate that. If possible please provide specs too so that we can take it up as a case study & a healthy discussion to follow.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 02:39   #218
BHPian

cant wait to dyno it now....just been ripping about and creamed a bmw 530i and a accord 3.0 vtec . both cars had friends driving and i know they were ripping.

got to give two thumbs up for k.s motorsport for a killer install car running and sounding top classssss

and just to let u know the fuel economy is amazin..i filled 33 litres and got just over 300 km with still little fuel in the tank...wish the swift had a reserve light.
gemballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 03:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I think this whole Need For Speed series of video games seems to be giving people the idea that tuning a FI system is as simple as moving around sliders to adjust "Low Boost" or "High Boost."

It's super difficult to wire a EMS correctly, even more difficult to get an engine to just idle on a new EMS. Let's try and not demean or single out any particular product, or tuner. The scene here is too nascent for all this. Good for all the tuners who can get it right. Kudos to those who try, someday they might get there if they are genuine. For those who are out to con, people will eventually figure them out.

We have one dyno here, but nobody wants to use it. Not even those, who live in the same city. Then people will crib about how tuning here is not on par with abroad. Atleast use all of what is available here.
Man, whatever you do, there will always be some gyaani know-it-all who will say 'Oh yeah we can do it BUT we're not'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
So, Race dynamics is built up from scratch i.e. all the hardware and everything researched and developed right here in India.
Is that correct?
So what if it's not? Does that take anything away from it? If it's so easy to copy-paste stuff, why hasn't anyone else done it till now? Why aren't there a 100 tuning firms with their own 'versions' of the ECU? Where is that fabled ECU I've been hearing about for years now?

Those who can, do.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th January 2008 at 11:33. Reason: Tone.
Old 15th January 2008, 03:48   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that correct?
I have no idea. I couldn't care less if it wasn't researched and developed from scratch (for your info no one does that sort of thing in the automotive industry anymore). There certainly has been a lot more work put into it than others have bothered to. All I know is, it works, and works well. But if you know anything more about it, why not blurt it out. No need to ask rhetorical questions about stuff you already seem to know.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 15th January 2008 at 03:51.
Old 15th January 2008, 05:00   #221
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : For the benefit of other community users, please type in full and proper english. Posting in SMS / Slang is NOT permitted on this board. Also, we would much appreciate your using the correct punctuation and avoid excessive dots (.......and........). Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2008 at 10:52.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th January 2008, 10:54   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
So what if it's not? Does that take anything away from it? If it's so easy to copy-paste stuff, why hasn't anyone else done it till now? Why aren't there a 100 tuning firms with their own 'versions' of the ECU? Where is that fabled ECU I've been hearing about for years now?

Those who can, do.

Quote:
I have no idea. I couldn't care less if it wasn't researched and developed from scratch (for your info no one does that sort of thing in the automotive industry anymore). There certainly has been a lot more work put into it than others have bothered to. All I know is, it works, and works well. But if you know anything more about it, why not blurt it out. No need to ask rhetorical questions about stuff you already seem to know.

Nice! Some pretty pretty aggressive and defensive replies to a simple question that warranted a simple answer. Very Nice!

Nice literary skills guys. And Thank You for the answer Akshay. I guess typing a simple yes/no answer isnt possible (20 characters per post rule)

Cheers, both of ya. Enjoy your cars.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 15th January 2008 at 11:05.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 11:38   #223
Team-BHP Support

V1p3r & Ananth,

Please present your thoughts in a less aggressive tone. Your frustration is apparent and may be justified, but please present your points in the correct tone.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 20:29   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know the swifts from ******** wll be doing 170hp,their Honda citys are probably doing 185hp.So let kep the Blore cars out of the competion,they are just too good for our cars.

I think i am done on this topic

Karan
Welcome to the club Karan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

Renamo, seems like you are one of Ron's followers. Personally, I have a lot of respect for him, but I have NEVER seen his car on track or dragstrip, and I DO NOT listen to people who talk and don't race (that's you btw). The day you drive a turbo car (have you ever?) on track or race it, maybe you will realise how tough it is. Also, the day you tune a carb/MPFI car, you will realise how tough it is. One mistake and you blow things up.
So now you'll never listen to me too since i have not raced...
Tuning is another ball game altogether as pointed above and its not easy in either avtar, the MPFI or the Carb (You guys know Im a carb fan , call me old school but what the heck) and as pointed by so many above if we cant do it ourselves, better than who is currently doing it, we should gobb up and listen. It is very easy to call others names but the crux of the question remains; Can you do it yourself?..and better too!! SO guys please show some respect to all tuners whether you like them or not and can we have criticism in a constructive tone please!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post

We have one dyno here, but nobody wants to use it. Not even those, who live in the same city.
Then people will crib about how tuning here is not on par with abroad. Atleast use all of what is available here.
You bet. I will agree with the above post.
Like Gembella is going to get his car Dyno'ed, I will too, before and after I get my mods in place.... Its a promise.

Last edited by V-16 : 15th January 2008 at 20:30.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 21:27   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! Some pretty pretty aggressive and defensive replies to a simple question that warranted a simple answer. Very Nice!
Sorry, but I don't understand how my post was defensive or aggressive. I have no affiliation to Karthik or Chinoy. I am not a customer. Don't intend to be. IMO that makes me less biased than you. I havent even talked to either of them in person. Hell, I've been out of the damn country last two years for Christ's sake.

I dont even know why I waste my time with this crap. All I did is to try and bring a little decorum and make this thread useful by posting this:

Quote:
Oh come on guys, 10 pages and not a SINGLE piece of info that the OP or anyone else can use from this thread????

I think this thread would be much more useful if people posted their own BUYING EXPERIENCE with their "tuner" (sic) rather than talk some hypothetical crap leading to argument.

Like for example:

Name of Tuner
No. of known installs
Known issues faced by customers
A review of the overall experience for the customer, including cost of the system, time of install, total downtime of the vehicle, post-install issues and how they were resolved.

I am sure with a membership of over 15000 people, this forum can do much better than arguing over some hypothetical nonsense. There surely must be atleast one Team-BHP member per tuner who has gotten something done, and post their experience in the general format listed above?

And nobody pays attention.

Instead, I get my name plastered in bold letters. Sorry, but I dont wish to be involved in this dirty game. I'm outta here.