Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:18   #1
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default My Lancer SLXi heading for a much needed re-vamp

My Lancer SLXi will soon go in for a much needed souping up (Stage-one performance mods)!

The idea is to do the following:

1. Replace the stock air-filter and replace it with a performance filter like K&N/Pipercross/others
2. Get a complete FFE system
3. Change the rubber and get a new/used set of alloys. Still contemplating on the right upsize.
4. Any other mods, if required.

I spoke to Automech, Mumbai a while back. He has a readily available complete FFE system for the Lancer. The price quoted is INR 9500 approx.

Also enquired about a performance air-filter. He said he has a pipercross air-filter, which apparently is better than a conical K&N air-filter (If Automech says so, I would be inclined to believe them). Since, this is not a stock replacement filter, some modifications would be required for the Intake. The price quoted is INR 4500 approx.

Are the prices qouted by Automech, Mumbai reasonable enough? Experts, please comment.

Still looking for a good set of used alloys. Haven't managed to find them and it looks like will have to go for a brand new one. Along with a new set of tyres (Michelin Pilot Preceda or Bridgestone Potenza, still not sure about the right upsize).

Any specific suggestions, advise most welcome. Appreciate everybody's time and patience.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:02   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

also look at ractive filters. the best VFM. i got my sf100 for about 2k from viper.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:08   #3
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
also look at ractive filters. the best VFM. i got my sf100 for about 2k from viper.
@akshay, are you suggesting that the pipercross filter is overpriced or something? Correct me if I am wrong.

Have read about Ractive filters but do not know the pros and cons vis-a-vis the pipercross/K&n/green

Another general query is about the life of these performance air-filters? K&N on their website claim that their stock replacement and performance air-filters come with a million mile warranty . Its like this would be the last filter you would put in your car. How true is that?
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

The debate about K&N vs Green vs Ractive vs Pipercross has been raging for a while on this forum and off it. Do a search and you will know what I am talking about. Bottom-line is, you gotta decide for yourself which brand you want to go for. I have used both K&N and Ractive and am happy with both. Ractive is comparatively cheaper, so it makes it a better deal. It is supposed to last as long as a K&N.
Performance-wise, I haven't seen much of a difference to be honest.

About the Automech FFE price, it seems reasonable enough. You do have more options... look around the forum and you will find them.
There are a few modded Lancers on this forum, mine included. Most have threads dedicated to the modding process... reading these might be helpful to you. All the best, and have fun!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:48   #5
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
The debate about K&N vs Green vs Ractive vs Pipercross has been raging for a while on this forum and off it. Do a search and you will know what I am talking about. Bottom-line is, you gotta decide for yourself which brand you want to go for. I have used both K&N and Ractive and am happy with both. Ractive is comparatively cheaper, so it makes it a better deal. It is supposed to last as long as a K&N.
Performance-wise, I haven't seen much of a difference to be honest.

About the Automech FFE price, it seems reasonable enough. You do have more options... look around the forum and you will find them.
There are a few modded Lancers on this forum, mine included. Most have threads dedicated to the modding process... reading these might be helpful to you. All the best, and have fun!
Thanks Razor. I have read your thread about the modded Lancer as well as Ricky's. Have taken cue from that.

I think I will go with what the Automech guy suggested and see how works. I will have to drive down to Mumbai and would like to see the whole thing in front of me. How long does it take to take out the stock exhaust assembly and fit in a new one? Plus the piper-cross air-filter installation.

Do you think it can be done in a day or two over a weekend? (assuming both the FFE and the pipercross are available on hand)
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:08   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

IMO all conicals would perform the same unless there is some significant difference in the material used. AFAIK k&n, ractive and pipercross use just about the same material so the performance would be the same. ractive is about half the price of k&n.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:53   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
How long does it take to take out the stock exhaust assembly and fit in a new one? Plus the piper-cross air-filter installation.

Do you think it can be done in a day or two over a weekend? (assuming both the FFE and the pipercross are available on hand)
Yea, both should be done in a day. The filter+intake job shouldn't take over an hour, at most two. The exhaust needs a bit more work, but Automech do this all the time, so should not take them much time.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 00:28   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

What tire specs are you looking at? If 15" then go for 205/50/15

Also get a nice spoiler, and a body kit and then your car will be awesome.

Tires - Yokohama S Drives
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 09:00   #9
BHPian
 
redeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

i got my lancer tire size up to 205/50/15 ...
a FFE by Raj and
Greens storm air filter .
check my thread for more details on it..
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 11:16   #10
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
What tire specs are you looking at? If 15" then go for 205/50/15

Also get a nice spoiler, and a body kit and then your car will be awesome.

Tires - Yokohama S Drives
@BUSA,

the spoiler and the body kit will have to wait for a few months. I have just saved enough to get in for the FFE and the pipercross.

The tyres and wheels should be done in Feb. I will keep that size in mind for the tyres. How much wud the Yokohomas cost me for a set of 4?
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 11:19   #11
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
i got my lancer tire size up to 205/50/15 ...
a FFE by Raj and
Greens storm air filter .
check my thread for more details on it..
thanks for the heads-up redeye. i will look up your thread today. the same tire size is suggested by Razor as well. So, I guess thats the right upsize for a Lancer to 15". Is there a big compromise in the ride quality because of the 15" ers?
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 11:51   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Folks,

Anyone knows someone who performs such kind of mods in and around Delhi? I am not looking for a big boost - maybe a 10% or so which gives me a sub 10 sec 0-100. Actually I am planning to buy a Chevy Aveo. BTW is it wise to do mods on a new car?


Another ques (possibly naive) - is it possible to upgrade from R14s to R15s on the same set of alloys?
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:51   #13
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Folks,

Anyone knows someone who performs such kind of mods in and around Delhi? I am not looking for a big boost - maybe a 10% or so which gives me a sub 10 sec 0-100. Actually I am planning to buy a Chevy Aveo. BTW is it wise to do mods on a new car?
I would advise you against going for any performance mods like FFE or a performance filter on a new car. Purely for the fact that these could void the warranty of the new car. Maybe the experts can throw more light on this.

A good idea is to run the car stock till you run out of the warranty time-frame. After that, the sky is the limit for the performance mods you want to do in your car .
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 15:46   #14
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
What tire specs are you looking at? If 15" then go for 205/50/15

Also get a nice spoiler, and a body kit and then your car will be awesome.

Tires - Yokohama S Drives
@BUSA, how about considering 16"ers or 17"ers. From what I see in the tyre upsize chart there are 4 possible upsizes for 16" and a couple of them for 17". Will the ride quality and comfort go for a toss with such an upsize?

Has anyone on this forum or outside tried 16" or 17" in Lancers? Looking forward to your guidance and suggestions, folks.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 16:15   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
@BUSA, how about considering 16"ers or 17"ers. From what I see in the tyre upsize chart there are 4 possible upsizes for 16" and a couple of them for 17". Will the ride quality and comfort go for a toss with such an upsize?

Has anyone on this forum or outside tried 16" or 17" in Lancers? Looking forward to your guidance and suggestions, folks.

The "correct upsize" would be 15" as this is a tried & tested upsize. No issues with ride quality suffering, no scraping with the suspension parts, no torn tyres or damaged rims on bad roads.

You could look at 16" if you desire, but the chances of damage are more & the ride quality will suffer - unless you only drive on super smooth expressways which most of us do not.. 17" is a reciepe for disaster (slight exagerration there) the tyres may foul with suspension parts & wheel arches, torn tyres is a definate possibility as are damaged rims.

Your call

Cheers !!!!
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: OHC AT/ VTEC or Lancer GLXi / SLXi gbpscars Shifting gears 2 13th September 2007 12:01
To Buy or not to Buy (Lancer SLXi 2004) prince_pervez Sedans 7 23rd February 2007 14:53
Lancer 2001 Slxi danlalan Shifting gears 3 15th January 2007 23:47
Lancer Slxi 2001 For Sale!!!! danlalan Shifting gears 0 11th November 2006 21:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks