Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th January 2008, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb 1995 Cielo AT - Lemon or Project?

I have been offered a 12 year old Cielo AT, if I have a suitable project for it. It is very much in good to decent driving condition, but not being used now. The owner is a friend who is not willing to sell. In short, it is free of cost landing . I was wondering if anything "propah" is possible on a Cielo. Has anyone attempted some such thing? Just curious to know. Please post your ideas here, thanks!
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Propah as in what?? ICE machine? Performance machine? Limo? Rally Car??

What do you intend to do with it??
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:55   #3
BHPian

i had manual one comfy suspension setup
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 10:16   #4
NIP
Senior - BHPian

two wise words of wisdom: STAY AWAY !
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

CIELO a Dead Horse. Spares also extinct.Company is already bankrupt. Save ur bank.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

here an idea for you -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/656739-post3784.html
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dont even think of it.......
Knew a guy in bhopal, who bought this barge for "Baraat ki Gaadi" purpose for 60 grands in 2002...
But couldnt bear the expenses( fuel bills,parts etc) and sold it for around 45 grands within 2 months
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 13:01   #8
BHPian

It will be akin to flogging a dead horse.
However go ahead in 2 conditions - You have some (or may be even a lot) extra money to spend and you are never ever thinking of selling it off (for a profit at least)
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Alright guys thanks. I am not getting into that territory then.
Old 15th January 2008, 18:28   #10
BHPian

Right decision,determinus. My friend bought a used cielo 3 years back for 1.5 lakhs (yes, that's Bangalore) since he wanted a 'sedan' and spent lots on it before he managed to find another buyer - ofcourse for a much lesser price
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 00:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

has any of you actually ever owned a cielo or even drove one extensively? well i have one. it's a '97 make doctor owned car i picked up for 1.4 lakh in 2004 with odo reading 70,000 kms. today, 4 years later with odo reading 1.3 lakh kms it still runs like it was 4 years back. what a smooth and incredible engine! i touched 170 kph and it was rock steady. the only time i open the hood is for oil change and windscreen wash reservoir topping. i have beaten almost all cars under 10 lakhs in top speed and acceleration. my friends owning other cars rate this better than lancer, city and accent in terms of highway comfort. i run it on petrol. LPG, CNG is not my kinda thing. also, the best thing about this car is the exhaust sound this car makes. i am not urging you to buy this car. i know you won't. but i just wanted to tell you that this car is not as bad as it is made out to be.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 03:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

@pgsagar; You must have a Nexia. Twin Cam. My uncle had a manual Cielo GLS, (SOHC) which I drove around for quite a bit; about 6 years ago. The performance was understated, to say the least....the only likeable things were the ride quality & steering feedback of the car. Rear seat comfort, interiors, handling & ergonomics were not even in the same ballpark of other cars such as the Ikon. Forget the Lancer.

The Cielo is past it's prime. Getting suspension components, body panels, etc. is a hassle. Even minor parts like the muffler aren't easily available in the market...trust me, I've been there....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 16:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
has any of you actually ever owned a cielo or even drove one extensively? well i have one. it's a '97 make doctor owned car i picked up for 1.4 lakh in 2004 with odo reading 70,000 kms. today, 4 years later with odo reading 1.3 lakh kms it still runs like it was 4 years back. what a smooth and incredible engine! i touched 170 kph and it was rock steady. the only time i open the hood is for oil change and windscreen wash reservoir topping. i have beaten almost all cars under 10 lakhs in top speed and acceleration. my friends owning other cars rate this better than lancer, city and accent in terms of highway comfort. i run it on petrol. LPG, CNG is not my kinda thing. also, the best thing about this car is the exhaust sound this car makes. i am not urging you to buy this car. i know you won't. but i just wanted to tell you that this car is not as bad as it is made out to be.
Point taken, that is what my friend also is saying. He chose to keep it than selling it due to that and sentimental reasons. But since it can possibly cause more hassles than stisfaction, I thought I will follow other's lead here. But thanks still. I will atleast take a TD

PS: BTW, it is offered to me free of cost (I mentioned it in the first post).
Old 18th January 2008, 16:57   #14
BHPian

Smile Wrong impression about Ceilo

Ask me guys, I am a first hand owner of a black 1996 Ceilo (my dad's). Excellent condition. Drives like a dream. Anyone can come to my place and test drive it. I bet its better than OHC in terms of performance. And yes, it hugs the road like anything on highways at speeds above 120kmph. Spares is not a problem at all (atleast not in Noida).

Also as mentioned earlier, the exhaust note of Cielo is the best and refined i have ever heard in India cars till date.

Last edited by akash_m : 18th January 2008 at 16:59.
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 23:10   #15

Yes, I also own a Cielo 1997. Daily commuting 140kms and on 14 kg LPG it run for 3 days but at speed 80-90.It demands great patiance to go with Cielo as parts are not available and expert mechanics too. This is only problem otherwise still it is a magnificent car. Can anyone know where from to get suspension parts?.
Magnan is offline   Reply With Quote