Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 10:53   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a lovely comparison Ripper. Do you have any idea how much a pete box cost for a viva crdi? Also, do you recommend its installation?
Old 31st May 2008, 13:03   #137
BHPian

Was reading in this thread: today about turbo lag in the Verna?
Could you please clarify this, ripper? Does the power take some time to kick in or is the delivery smooth and linear?

Last edited by srijit : 31st May 2008 at 13:07.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:15   #138
Senior - BHPian

Nice comparison Ripper. I love the handling in Swift!!
Old 31st May 2008, 13:47   #139
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That was a lovely comparison Ripper. Do you have any idea how much a pete box cost for a viva crdi? Also, do you recommend its installation?
how can I not recommend it? look at what it has done for the VDi- this little hatch can now keep up with the verna except on the absolute straightest of roads.
I think its 18000 for the viva and accent CRDi- definite value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Was reading in this thread: today about turbo lag in the Verna?
Could you please clarify this, ripper? Does the power take some time to kick in or is the delivery smooth and linear?
both cars,swift and verna, have turbo lag, but its nowhere near bad as its made out to be.

the power delivery is not linear.again in both cars. when the turbo kicks in at around 1900-2000, if you have the accelerator floored, you will take off like a rocket.

its a problem only for inexperienced drivers. few 1000kms with the cars and anyone can learn how to modulate the throttle and play with the powerband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Nice comparison, ripper.
Which do you feel is more comfortable to ride in its stock form? ( ability to absorb bumps, etc )
Which one would you prefer for long drives?
the verna is undoubtedly better at taking bumps. most people would prefer the verna on long drives. I would take the swift, unless its an emergency and I have to get there as quick as possible. then its the verna all the way.

Old 31st May 2008, 18:30   #140
BHPian

No need to put an entire long quote. Select relevant parts for your comments.

i dont mean to disrespect our fellow ernakulam bhpians but
that just didnt feel rite
(i love verna just as much as you and i totally think tuned verna can smoke out any swift hands down ;-p)
according to me..

verna is
1.far more practical ( for sure cause it gives you a descent mileage and mind blowing performanecheers
2.much faster ( hell yeacheers
=========================

3.much safer 4.built much better
( definitely NOT.. i think its the worst model of hyundai on the saftey basis.. They worked so hard in increasing the car mileage and performance that the car ended up as heavy as paper weight lol.. the car is too damn risky at high speeds..braking is good but on high speed the car looses traction( lol and in comes the rainy season).. The truth is i cant get the car over 120+ the car feels like its gonna fly.. 3 2 1 LIFT OFF)

Mods note: Use punctuation properly. Use upper case to start a sentence.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2008 at 08:14.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:39   #141
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Godspeed View Post
i dont mean to disrespect our fellow ernakulam bhpians but
that just didnt feel rite
(i love verna just as much as you and i totally think tuned verna can smoke out any swift hands down ;-p)
according to me..

verna is
1.far more practical ( for sure cause it gives you a descent mileage and mind blowing performanecheers
2.much faster ( hell yeacheers
=========================

3.much safer 4.built much better
( definitely NOT.. i think its the worst model of hyundai on the saftey basis.. They worked so hard in increasing the car mileage and performance that the car ended up as heavy as paper weight lol.. the car is too damn risky at high speeds..braking is good but on high speed the car looses traction( lol and in comes the rainy season).. The truth is i cant get the car over 120+ the car feels like its gonna fly.. 3 2 1 LIFT OFF)
the stock verna is faster than the pete'd swift. ofcourse a tuned verna will be faster than a tuned swift. we're both saying the same thing.
I never said the swift is faster. i said it can now keep up with the stock verna. i drive both the cars so I know.

we will never know for sure which is safer till we crash test them side by side. not going to try that.

there is no question of disrespecting. you have your opinion, and I'm willing to listen.

i just thought that i should be able to comment on both cars because i drive both on a daily basis.

agreed the swift feels more planted than the verna.but that is only till you hit the brakes.try the brakes at 140kmph in a swift and the verna, verna brakes far better than the swift. hence i feel it is safer.

this discussion is kind of unfair because the verna is a sedan that costs 3 lakhs more and has all round discs.

the verna is a lot safer than you think. its ill informed public opinion that bad mouths the verna as an unsafe car. it isnt. not any more than the other sedans and hatches plying our roads.

it is a very fast car, and new, inexperienced guys get carried away by all that power, lose their heads and crash. its not because the car is bad/unsafe.

although it is my fault for bringing the verna into this thread, may I suggest discussing the verna further on this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sxi-abs-9.html
Mods!-I have learnt my lesson, and promise not to mix up thread topics again

Old 31st May 2008, 23:22   #142
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
performance-
verna will thrash the stock swift hollow. in a straight line. that will make up for perceived cornering disadvantages.
eg- cochin Thodupuzha in sport mode(driver)
almost entirely twists and turns.
swift- 1 hour 10 mins
verna- 45 mins
Cochin to Thodupuzha is a distance of ~58 kms. According to you the stock Swift in "sport mode" will need 1 hr 10 mts, i.e., an average speed of ~50 kmph. Not very sporty, is it? Is this a very sharp climb?

The Verna's timing looks much more impressive, and correspnds to an avg. speed of ~77 kmph. So according to you, with both cars being driven in "sport mode", Verna can take a 25 min lead over the stock Swift over a distance of just 58 kms. Frankly, I find that incredible. I don't think the Swift has really been pushed to its full potential here.
Old 1st June 2008, 00:27   #143
BHPian

Quote:
both cars,swift and verna, have turbo lag, but its nowhere near bad as its made out to be.

the power delivery is not linear.again in both cars. when the turbo kicks in at around 1900-2000, if you have the accelerator floored, you will take off like a rocket.

its a problem only for inexperienced drivers. few 1000kms with the cars and anyone can learn how to modulate the throttle and play with the powerband.
Thanks, ripper. That sounds great
Old 1st June 2008, 06:48   #144
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Cochin to Thodupuzha is a distance of ~58 kms. According to you the stock Swift in "sport mode" will need 1 hr 10 mts, i.e., an average speed of ~50 kmph. Not very sporty, is it? Is this a very sharp climb?

The Verna's timing looks much more impressive, and correspnds to an avg. speed of ~77 kmph. So according to you, with both cars being driven in "sport mode", Verna can take a 25 min lead over the stock Swift over a distance of just 58 kms. Frankly, I find that incredible. I don't think the Swift has really been pushed to its full potential here.
that is very much possible. the swift might not have been pushed to the limits. I dont feel as safe as I do in the verna. so i back off in the corners.even on the straights, I rarely go over 100kmph in the swift, unless i'm trying to get away from irritating drivers. the reason being, its not safe to exceed the brakes' ability.
you might ask- "is 100kmph all the swift can handle?"
no! it can take a lot more. but i dont want to risk it. I like having a safety reserve. I'm getting older and more responsible.

it is not a very steep climb. traffic conditions also play a part.

I can push the verna harder because, i know the brakes will bail me out if I'm in trouble.

the other thing is, at a 100kmph, the swift feels fast, but 120kmph, the verna still feels like its doing pedestrian speeds.I dont look at the speedo much. just drive at the the speed which is most comfortable for the car and me.

its a combination of better NVH,softer ride and lower stance(I think) that lets me drive the verna faster.

both these drives were with my wife accompanying. riding fast in the swift makes her nauseous, because she gets thrown around a lot more. that also causes the "sport mode" timings of the swift to be skewed.

IMO that was the biggest factor causing the difference in timings.

all this does not conclusively prove that the verna is safer and more stable than the swift. it just means, I'm more comfortable pushing the verna to its limits than the swift. each driver's preferences will vary.

the problem is, even though you're doing much higher speeds in the verna, it doesnt give the same level of driver involvement as the swift D.
which is why I pete'd the swift and not the verna.

EDIT-@ rks- have you tried the verna over long distances?what did you think? was it not fast?

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st June 2008 at 06:50.

Old 2nd June 2008, 22:59   #145
rks
BANNED

Quote:
the other thing is, at a 100kmph, the swift feels fast, but 120kmph, the verna still feels like its doing pedestrian speeds.I dont look at the speedo much. just drive at the the speed which is most comfortable for the car and me.
EDIT-@ rks- have you tried the verna over long distances?what did you think? was it not fast?
I have never driven anything as powerful and quick as the Verna. Will get my hands on a Swift Vxi before the end of this year, as my close relatives are getting it (against my recommendation of i10).

Even though the Verna is quick, you can only push it so far in real-life traffic conditions. If the top speed you are doing is only around 120 kmph, you have to rely on the Verna's superior pickup to beat out the Swift . But against that, you have its larger size and lower maneuverability, and these play a big part when the roads are relatively narrow and traffic-filled. Under these conditions, you will find that a small peppy car can take on the Verna. Even though these small cars will take a longer time to reach 120 kmph, they have the ability to cut lanes, squeeze through gaps and maintain high speed (even around corners), whereas the Verna guy will have to brake more often. Of course while the Swift is peppy, it is not all that small or maneuverable and so may struggle even in this respect against the Verna.

On the other hand, if you have wider roads as in Expressways, the Verna will really thrash the stock Swift. But e.g. over the 93-km long Mumbai-Pune Expressway, when both cars are driven at full speed, I don't think the Verna will get ahead by more than about 10 mts at the maximum. Even my old Santro can do the 93 kms in about 50 mts at full clip (avg. speed 113 kmph). Let us say you grant an average speed of 140 kmph to a Verna (very tough and unlikely, given the ghat roads, the toll gates and the heavy and slow traffic on all lanes). That would still amount to a time of ~40 mts through the Expressway. So your experience that the Verna can gain to the extent of 25 mts over a 58-km traffic-filled stretch was only possible because you drove the Swift much more conservatively.

Last edited by rks : 2nd June 2008 at 23:00.
Old 3rd June 2008, 06:13   #146
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
So your experience that the Verna can gain to the extent of 25 mts over a 58-km traffic-filled stretch was only possible because you drove the Swift much more conservatively.
I agree with this bit. but the rest of your post.....we might argue till kingdom come and not find a consensus.

Old 22nd June 2008, 20:36   #147
rippergeo

Had been on a very enjoyable/eventful monsoon DRIVE through idukki and kottayam's ghats.

Car felt completely planted on the corners, no drama, no tyre squeal(thank you potenza)
was a delight on the ghats, responsive chassis, brilliant engine.
It was a team BHP DRIVE, so the speeds and rev ranges did get pretty interesting.

mileage 16.1kmpl when I filled up to the brim at kattapana. mostly uphill route. revs stayed between 2000-4000rpm through out. most of the time below 3000rpm, climbing above that only on the exits from corners.
there was enough torque in between 2000-3000rpm to keep the petrol swift following me on its toes and bouncing off the rev limiter

the return trip from vagamon to cochin was mostly downhill.
was following speedzak's qualis for sometime and then steeroid's safari.
mileage returned 15.5 kmpl.
did not use the brakes much. mostly engine braking in 3rd and 4th. probably why the mileage is lesser compared to the uphill section.
revs stayed closer to 3000rpm most of the time.

I love my car

now beginning the hunt for an end can.

Old 22nd June 2008, 20:42   #148
BHPian

Ripper - Thats a very good FE you have got. In my Lancer, I could manage only 13,but Iam very happy with that. IS there a possibility of fitting a free flow on the Swift D?
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:51   #149
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Ripper - Thats a very good FE you have got. In my Lancer, I could manage only 13,but Iam very happy with that. IS there a possibility of fitting a free flow on the Swift D?
I'm not sure about a full free flow, but Remus end cans are available. waiting for some detailed reviews.
You should be very happy with your mileage figures. the way your 1.75 llakh old lancer was being ripped, I'm amazed it got to 2 digits. it actually makes me feel that I could've done better than 16kmpl.

Old 22nd June 2008, 21:00   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mileage 16.1kmpl when I filled up to the brim at kattapana. mostly uphill route. revs stayed between 2000-4000rpm through out. most of the time below 3000rpm, climbing above that only on the exits from corners.
there was enough torque in between 2000-3000rpm to keep the petrol swift following me on its toes and bouncing off the rev limiter

the return trip from vagamon to cochin was mostly downhill.
was following speedzak's qualis for sometime and then steeroid's safari.
mileage returned 15.5 kmpl.
did not use the brakes much. mostly engine braking in 3rd and 4th. probably why the mileage is lesser compared to the uphill section.
revs stayed closer to 3000rpm most of the time.
Petrol cars are more fun to drive*. But few Diesel cars, like our Ripper's, is fun to drive and at the same time a tremendous joy when you have to visit the fuel stations!

Those figures are pretty impressive Ripper

*That is a hugely debatable topic. To each his own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks