Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 8th May 2008, 10:50   #121
BHPian

Great. If at all you see a small blue Alto with a bump on the bonnet, please give it the time to pull out of your way
You guys are crazy

rippergeo - Great mileage figures.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 12:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
dude be carefull mann!!
dam the cross winds i was 10kmph short of the ton.
i did a mistake of tellin this to ma friend in the fairer sex ofcourse , she just blasted me like hell!!...lolz
so do keep us posted of the mileage you are getting. i am getting an awesome 16kmpl after this insane driving ..thanks to ma dads proper run- in i guess..haha.

take care and drive safe.
peace out
sameel
10kmph short of what? 100 kmph?

16kmph after blasting?
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 12:39   #123
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If its belching out white smoke and not black, kindly get your vehicle checked asap. If not your going to have to bear with more than just a blown headgasket.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 12:44   #124
BHPian

Talking

10kmph short of 220kmph in ma verna
and dude i am still getting 16kmpl mileage.
thanks to ma dad properly running it in for 18k kms.

i was thinking of getting an elantra and peteing it but i ended up with a verna..adding petes would be my one way ticket to heaven you know. lolz.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 8th May 2008, 14:46   #125
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Crazy mallus with diesel heads......
90% of mallus are dieselheads, the other 10% are just jealous and too shy to come out with the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Great. If at all you see a small blue Alto with a bump on the bonnet, please give it the time to pull out of your way
You guys are crazy

rippergeo - Great mileage figures.
thanks man! but I dont think I can sustain mileage driving. its too boring. but, it has been a great learning experience(driving slowly) and I plan to put things i've learned into practice just a little so that I can get atleast 18kmpl on the highway.

maruti cars get special treatment. they get an extra 2 secs to get out of the way. swift-alto bhai-bhai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If its belching out white smoke and not black, kindly get your vehicle checked asap. If not your going to have to bear with more than just a blown headgasket.
did get it checked. see a few pages back. it was a dirty and wet air filter! problem solved.
but would like to know, how much damage can a dirty filter cause other than dropped mileage, greater carbon deposits and more pollution?
can it cause catastrophic engine damage? would the techies please help?

@sameel- you are priceless!!!! you youself drive at 220kmph in a verna and ask me to slow down when I'm doing 120kmph in a pete'd swift? ROFLMAO.
when are you back in cochin?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 14:52   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
but would like to know, how much damage can a dirty filter cause other than dropped mileage, greater carbon deposits and more pollution? can it cause catastrophic engine damage? would the techies please help?
Water entering the engine could spell disasters for the engine. Also dirt particles entering (and if sufficiently big) are capable of damaging the engine as well.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 15:05   #127
BHPian

Where do you even touch 220 in Kerala?
Old 8th May 2008, 15:27   #128
BHPian

Talking

dude i touched 220kmph not in kerala!! in L&T bypass coimbatore -salem route!!.

in kerala i have gone to 170kmph between appolo tyres signal to alwaye!!

@rippergo - dude!! i can see that i aint qualified for telling ya to go slow
what to do mann the car takes control away from me!!.

anyways 120kmph thats a okay speed yaar..hehe .. drive safe and rock!!
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 16:31   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i was thinking of getting an elantra and peteing it but i ended up with a verna..adding petes would be my one way ticket to heaven you know. lolz.
Quote:

what to do mann the car takes control away from me!!.
yes, these are some of the inherent traits of the verna.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 17:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
90% of mallus are dieselheads, the other 10% are just jealous and too shy to come out with the truth.
Are you so sure? anyway valid point. May be i think i should switch to Diesel then. But can i?? i have to retrospect. How are the roads in Kerala especially in the Cochin part? i am driving in the state next week. I have learned that its raining non stop there...
Kudos to all great vehichles there....
i was wondering whether i can meet a couple of you guys while i am travelling..this will be great...
I am not going offtopic here...i will have my new travel thread started..(hopefully)
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 19:44   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Are you so sure? anyway valid point. May be i think i should switch to Diesel then. But can i?? i have to retrospect. How are the roads in Kerala especially in the Cochin part? i am driving in the state next week. I have learned that its raining non stop there...
Kudos to all great vehichles there....
i was wondering whether i can meet a couple of you guys while i am travelling..this will be great...
I am not going offtopic here...i will have my new travel thread started..(hopefully)
switch to diesel! your wallet will thank you. and you can have fun in the process.
let us know when you're here. we meet practically every week. have PMed you my number.
Old 8th May 2008, 21:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

goccha...Have noted down. I will be entering through Sultan's battery (is it rechargable?) kannur and then to Cochin. I will be there a day max in Cochin. Let us see how thins go. Still not planning to switch. stretching my pocket.
one more thing..is there any possibility of hartal on sat, sun, monday. I badly need one..to blast off..

Last edited by kutlee : 8th May 2008 at 21:48.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 22:04   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
switch to diesel! your wallet will thank you. and you can have fun in the process.
And your heart won;t burn when you are stuck for hours in traffic jams!!

Quote:
let us know when you're here. we meet practically every week. have PMed you my number.
yeah! Infact i think the cochin meets are th only one's which havenothing to do with cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
one more thing..is there any possibility of hartal on sat, sun, monday. I badly need one..to blast off..
U need a hartal in strikes own country?? Simple.. just mutter to one of the autowallah's about a hartal on the day u wnat, and leave the rest to them!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 06:44   #134

Default Comaprison between the VDI and the CRDI

this was a reply that i'd given to a PM. didnt see the sense in starting a new thread for it, so just posted it here.
anyway, its a comparison between two cars from totally different segments. wouldnt be fair to start a thread on it.

Sorry mods if its going off topic. feel free to delete it if necessary

Service intervals are same for both -10,000kms.
I think the verna costs around 2000-3000rs per service, which includes oil, oil filter, air filter, checkups, wash etc.

verna needs 4.5 litres of oil(IIRC). swift 3.1
filters are slightly more expensive in the verna, I think.

I find it difficult to compare service costs because, the verna is dad's and it gets standard treatment.

swift is my car, and I get it serviced every 5000kms. purely voluntary. I'm by its side all the time, even when its being washed, and I provide all the parts and materials myself, so usually pay only labour charges at the MASS, which is like 200-300Rs(Note-Air filter is Green, which is cleaned for me free of charge by peter)
oil-semisynthetic- 600rs for 3litres
oil filter 390Rs(changed every 10,000k)
air filter stock- 299/350 or something- best changed every 5000kms

labour charges at the local MASS is usually negligble.

swift is very economical to maintain, and I find it easy to do so. have not reqd any major parts till now.

I'm sure the verna can be just as economical, if its done the way i do with the swift.

performance-
verna will thrash the stock swift hollow. in a straight line. that will make up for perceived cornering disadvantages.
eg- cochin Thodupuzha in sport mode(driver)
almost entirely twists and turns.
swift- 1 hour 10 mins
verna- 45 mins
and my passengers felt waaaay more comfortable/safer in the verna.
the driver(me) felt less comfortable in the verna

the verna will take corners well.
if you look down at the speedo- you will be frequently surprised to see you're doing 20kmph higher than a similar corner in the swift.

it just doesnt feel as nice as the swift while turning thats all.

braking in the verna is waaaaay better than a swift- even if a VDI ABS is compared.

the pete'd swift just about keeps up with the verna. but will never be faster than the verna.

verna is more refined and the engined much more relaxed during high revs. this is, the ultimate petrol car substitute. no doubt.

economy
normal driving-Swift- 18kmpl
verna- 17kmpl

driving for mileage-S- 23kmpl
V-23kmpl

ripping S 14kmpl
V-10-12kmpl

the swift wins out in
1.being much more fun to drive
2.slightly cheaper to maintain
3.slight edge in FE
4.easier and more fun to drive slowly(verna is jerky in the city till you learn to modulate the throttle)

verna is
1.far more practical
2.much faster
3.much safer
4.built much better

verna is the clear winner
but i love the swift, and I just cant drive any other car now.

EDIT- smae post has been put up on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post848716 (Hyundai Verna CRDI (SXI) with ABS)

Last edited by rippergeo : 31st May 2008 at 06:47.
Old 31st May 2008, 10:44   #135
BHPian

Nice comparison, ripper.
Which do you feel is more comfortable to ride in its stock form? ( ability to absorb bumps, etc )
Which one would you prefer for long drives?