Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th January 2008, 13:04   #1
BHPian

Default Fibre Glass Or Dynamat ?

simple query really, do u think lining bodywork with fibreglass works in a similar manner to layering dynamat ?

2 reasons for the thought , firstly kinda got a few sources for gettin hold of fibreglass on the cheap. and more importantly ...... i want DIY mods , not a buy and apply with no satisfaction at all !!! dont wanna work around just slappin cash to solve my problem , i want a proper DIY way of sound deadening .

so any other suggestions for sound deadening would be appreciated apart from "go to this shop and buy blah di blah and blah di blah will fix blah di blah for you "

oh just got myself a w124 shell , so working from groundup..the engine bay is empty so thought id use the chance to make this one as silent as a lexus
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 16:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have no answers to ur queries.. But can u start a thread and post some pics of your W124 restoration ?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 17:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Blueraven has worked with fiberglass in panels, boots etc so maybe you should ask him.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fiber glass and dynamat both are different things.

Dynamat add weight but fiber glassing does not. I would suspect fiberglassing the door panel only will make it stiff but it might rattle also.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 21:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Fiber glass and dynamat both are different things.

Dynamat add weight but fiber glassing does not. I would suspect fiberglassing the door panel only will make it stiff but it might rattle also.

can i add any material in between the fibreglass layers while applying the resin to assist in sound deadening ?? and also is dynamats primary reason for doing its job due to the weight n solidity it adds ? if so , then can i add a few layers of " something" to get fibreglass to work in same manner
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 11:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

you can add lead sheets to make it heavy, but I think it will be costly affair also.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote