Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2008, 10:10   #1
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Thumbs up Performance Mods for Accent

Hello team-bhpians,
I have Accent 1.6L DOHC, and installed Green Filter and FFE from AutoPsyche, Gurgaon.
Intially my car was giving mileage of 11 KMPL in City (stock tyres 175/70/R13) . After Installing both the mods and service done from AutoPsyche, My car started giving mileage of 14-15 kmpl in city with very rough driving (rising my rpm till fuel cut off many times). This installation made my car very smooth and i can feel the torque at low rpms with high gears. No knocking or sort of it in 5th gear at 35-40 kmph. I can smoothly pull the car after the installation.
I'm very much impressed with the mileage factor. I was shocked to see such mileage boosting. If i drive with proper gear shifts for getting good mileage and not accelerating the car quickly i can get the mileage of around 16 i guess.
I don't know if this is possible or not. I checked it twice. I did a Full tank and ran my car for like 160 km and then refilled it. approx 490 Rs petrol used. Did calculations and concluded that i got 14.7 kmpl then again did the same and ran my car for like 150 km and again 460 Rs petrol used. It really confused me, how i'm getting it.
I had read somewhere that performance airfilters increases the mileage for like 1-2 kmpl (**Depends on the engine and driving skills). May be airfilter is sucking hot air near the engine that's why giving such mileage, not sure about it.

Please throw some light on it BHPians.
** Waiting for Cold Air Intake Installation too **
Regards
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 12:43   #2
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

Man, that is impossible. 14kmpl when you redline it?? There must be something wrong with the calculations. Did you get your car serviced after the mods?

You have installed the green stock replacement filter without making any changes to the stock intake pipe right?
Hot air on the intake side will decrease performance. I'm not sure about the mileage though.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 13:44   #3
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

Was going through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post544504 (Max kmpl , and how to achieve it).

It looks like hot air at the intake leans out the air-fuel mixture and hence better mileage.

In your car, the green filter is letting in more air but I think the ECU has not detected the increase in airflow and has not adjusted the fuel flow accordingly. Even so, the figures you have mentioned are unrealistic!!
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 14:18   #4
jat
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Are you driving with higher gears now? Such FE results can occur when you have stepped up one gear from normal use. Please note that if you are doing so, the fuel economy will increase, but the engine parts such as bearings etc will be overloaded when operated at lower rpm than normal. (please note that the power to drive the vehicle is not dependent on the engine but dependent on the external factors such as payload, wind, slope etc. the engine develops power depending on the demand from these factors. lower rpm may cause a mismatch between power required power developed. In other words, the engine is not the master but the car is the master and engine is the slave)
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

hey please check the fuel gauge and the quantity of fuel the guy put in.lol.maybe a small change is possible but not to this extend.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 15:59   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 558
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Hey Gangsta! That's really surprising! The margin is a big number. How about asking AutoPsyche what did they actually do with the car like adjusted the timings,checked the compression et all?? Is the air filter a stock replacement or it has its own piping? The increase in torque at lower rpm's is because of the FFE,it must be a 4x2x1 design for low end torque.

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 16:07   #7
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

thanx for the comments bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Was going through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post544504 (Max kmpl , and how to achieve it).

It looks like hot air at the intake leans out the air-fuel mixture and hence better mileage.

In your car, the green filter is letting in more air but I think the ECU has not detected the increase in airflow and has not adjusted the fuel flow accordingly. Even so, the figures you have mentioned are unrealistic!!
I know they are unrealistic. yesterday i thought to give a try on the car.
On stock my car couldnt go over 185 kmph tried once on greater noida, express. After the mods, i managed to touch 195 kmph on jaipur-delhi highway. so, if the fuel flow would had been less than i couldnt manage to increase my top speed.
It really hits my mind how can i get this mileage. But i did checked it twice. Like ram_hyundai asked to check the fuel gauge and the quantity of fuel the guy put in. I will again do the test or should i ask the hyundai service station people to do the mileage test for the car? Please advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
Are you driving with higher gears now? Such FE results can occur when you have stepped up one gear from normal use. Please note that if you are doing so, the fuel economy will increase, but the engine parts such as bearings etc will be overloaded when operated at lower rpm than normal. (please note that the power to drive the vehicle is not dependent on the engine but dependent on the external factors such as payload, wind, slope etc. the engine develops power depending on the demand from these factors. lower rpm may cause a mismatch between power required power developed. In other words, the engine is not the master but the car is the master and engine is the slave)
Na, i havnt checked it till now because i got carried away with the FFE sound you know. I need to recheck the mileage but driving it with higher gears like i use to drive.
1st gear - 20-25 kmph
2nd gear - I missed i directly switch to the 3rd gear at 20-25 kmph
3rd gear - 40-45 kmph
4th gear - again i don't go for it and switch to 5th gear.
and i don't drive more than 70 kmph on delhi roads. Average 50-60 kmph speed and no sudden acceleration.
By this i gets the mileage to 12-13 kmpl.
I will try to do this with the modded one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
hey please check the fuel gauge and the quantity of fuel the guy put in.lol.maybe a small change is possible but not to this extend.
ram
i checked it twice. I know 1-2 kmpl increase is possible but not 4 kmpl. May be you are right. But i will recheck it again because its a great confusion.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 16:22   #8
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey Gangsta! That's really surprising! The margin is a big number. How about asking AutoPsyche what did they actually do with the car like adjusted the timings,checked the compression et all?? Is the air filter a stock replacement or it has its own piping? The increase in torque at lower rpm's is because of the FFE,it must be a 4x2x1 design for low end torque.

cya
A
I know it is a big number. I will be going to autopsyche soon for the cold air intake installation. then i will have a talk with them about it. on the time of installation i was there, i don't think so they did anything apart from the installation. but still i will talk to arush regarding this. But before talking to them i will first confirm it 100% by doing the mileage test once again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Man, that is impossible. 14kmpl when you redline it?? There must be something wrong with the calculations. Did you get your car serviced after the mods?

You have installed the green stock replacement filter without making any changes to the stock intake pipe right?
Hot air on the intake side will decrease performance. I'm not sure about the mileage though.
I havnt red line it everytime. but yes many times like 8-10 times in 160 km.
2nd and 3rd gear redline.
Yup, i got my car serviced after the mods only (next day).
Oh one more thing i forgot to tell you guys.
Before the service i was getting approx the same mileage. I know how my fuel needly shoots down on redlining 3rd gear. But really surprise to see, after the service the car rocked. I couldnt see the shooting down of the fuel needle as i use to see before.
My idle RPM was approx 600, i just asked them to increase it to 750-800 because accent's idle rpm is 750-800. They did it. I really don't know what they did in the service. But i really felt the smoothness and torque in the ride after the service and mileage shooting up.
I had a talk with arush regarding the hot air intake, he was telling the same. Increase in the mileage and decrease in the performance.
But i have increase in the mileage and increase in the performance.

thanx guys i will reconfirm it again with the mileage test.

Last edited by Gangsta : 19th January 2008 at 16:33.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:37   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default accent 1.6 dohc fuel average

hey gangsta

you are right ..Just last month i got a free flow done for my accent 1.6 dohc and man it gives me 12 to 13 km/litre in the city and 17 km/litre on the highway and that also fast driving man....earlier i use to get 10 km/litre in city and max and i say max 12 km/litre on the highway ....have not checked the top speed but will try that soon ...185 ++ soon on expressway.

i think the problem lies with these company fitted exhaust systems .
They not only rob power but also affect fuel efficency

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2008 at 16:53. Reason: Please do NOT type in full bold.
COOLAMOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 22:47   #10
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLAMOL View Post
hey gangsta

you are right ..Just last month i got a free flow done for my accent 1.6 dohc and man it gives me 12 to 13 km/litre in the city and 17 km/litre on the highway and that also fast driving man....earlier i use to get 10 km/litre in city and max and i say max 12 km/litre on the highway ....have not checked the top speed but will try that soon ...185 ++ soon on expressway.

i think the problem lies with these company fitted exhaust systems .
They not only rob power but also affect fuel efficency
that's good to hear dude that you are getting this much mileage and that too under city conditions like mumbai where we can find jams on every 2nd road. what about the air filter? I have Universal Twin Conical Green Filter installed. I'm getting 15-16 kmpl 100% confirmed under normal city driving. Initially i was like but now i'm dead sure that i'm getting 15-16 kmpl. Highways i'm getting around 18 kmpl.

What all mods you had done? Ofcourse i can feel the power in the car. Fuel Cut on 4th gear clear cut without any obstruction.

I need to go for the light weight alloys to gain more output from it.
Drive Safe.. it will touch 190 in the 4th gear. 100% sure. I had done it twice on stock tyres on Greater Noida Express. But don't wanna do it again as it is not safe to drive at such high speeds. Havnt checked the top speed till yet. So cant comment on it.

Happy Driving Mate
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 18:04   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default accent 1.6 190km/hr

I too have a free flow and universal twin conical green filter and use Mobil 1 syntheic oil
tyres are 185 60 r 14 potenza but
15 to 16 in normal driving conditons your car gives is too good .
your car is more fuel efficient than a maruti 800.
190 km/hr is really fast that also on stock tyres so the cars capable of that speed .
will you be going for 13 or 14 light weight alloys
i have to experiment soon
COOLAMOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
autopsyche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Gangsta.. thats good stuff dude! To be honest even i have never seen such a drastic difference in increment in fuel effeciency myself. When u called me to tell me the difference, i was a bit skeptical myself, but now that you have tested it over and over again im sure youre right on that part. Good luck to u for further reduction in fuel consumption
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 15:53   #13
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLAMOL View Post
I too have a free flow and universal twin conical green filter and use Mobil 1 syntheic oil
tyres are 185 60 r 14 potenza but
15 to 16 in normal driving conditons your car gives is too good .
your car is more fuel efficient than a maruti 800.
190 km/hr is really fast that also on stock tyres so the cars capable of that speed .
will you be going for 13 or 14 light weight alloys
i have to experiment soon
I will be going for the 185/60/R14 tyres only and ofcourse light weight alloys. Let us see, Yokohama or Potenza. Good luck on the test for the top speed mate. But still drive Safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Gangsta.. thats good stuff dude! To be honest even i have never seen such a drastic difference in increment in fuel effeciency myself. When u called me to tell me the difference, i was a bit skeptical myself, but now that you have tested it over and over again im sure youre right on that part. Good luck to u for further reduction in fuel consumption
thanx mate, I had also never seen such different in the fuel effeciancy. But i'm getting it. I'm very happy with the mileage part now. We have COOLAMOL getting good mileage with same mods done on his accent 1.6L too i.e its the 2nd accent getting such difference in the mileage with the same mods done.
By next week i will be coming at your workshop for the mods for the elantra petrol with my friend. Let us see what will happen to his car on the mileage part.
Today I had been to greater noida. I was driving constant at 50-60 kmph at expressway , and when i was coming back i was at constant speed of 60-70 kmph. After coming back to delhi, i thought of calculating the mileage part. It was 19.3 KMPL. lol i know many people will find it funny here but this is true.
This difference is there because of my driving style too, i have a habit to use high gears at less speeds eg. I go for the 5th gear at around 40 kmph. No speedy accelerations. Fast Driving (which i do very rare) gives me 13-14 kmpl and that too 100% confirmed.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 19:00   #14
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

How about ECU Remapping on my Accent 1.6L? any suggesions?
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 00:39   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
How about ECU Remapping on my Accent 1.6L? any suggesions?
Why?You are getting really great mileage.You seem to be happy with the performance too.There isn't any off-the shel remap for an acent as such.YOu would need to get an ems from racednamics or an emanage ..

Last edited by binz : 16th March 2008 at 00:41.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggest Some Performance Mods for Santro rareone Modifications & Accessories 58 21st September 2013 14:47
performance mods for hyundai accent 1.6 dohc team44_gautham Modifications & Accessories 4 1st February 2009 01:29
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02
performance mods chandan Modifications & Accessories 10 17th December 2005 15:48
performance mods for a desiel mahindra jeep revtech Modifications & Accessories 4 10th May 2005 01:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks