Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th March 2008, 14:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
You will probably need a bigger intercooler.
That will solve your current problem of the 6K rpm cut-off.
any idea as to why this happens? Mathew explained the reason on the first night we went out for the test run - but i forgot the entire reason - thanks to the FUN we had .

Quote:
I had the same issue in my RS, after the new intercooler ( Forge ) , you can map the car to 240 bhp. Will rev cleanly all the way upto 6.5 K RPM ( when the limiter cuts in ).
is there a way to remove this rev limiter thingy? his was pulling all th way to 6k IIRC, then a small jerk and again it used to pull further IIRC. what if he wants to take care of the hicks without plonking in a bigger intercooler?

oye! @ shuvd - do you remember anything?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 17:01   #137
BHPian

Well, at 225 bhp, the Stock Intercooler of the RS is not able to supply enough Cold air, back to the engine. That's why, after a while of driving, car will loose some power/ feel sluggish around the mid to high rev band.

By upgrading to a bigger intercooler, you will solve this problem.

Also, I would suggest that you do not remove the rev-limiter. If you keep pushing the car really hard, without the limiter; it can damage the engine's internals.

P.S: Have you changed the engine mounts ? ( Powerflex )
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 17:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, at 225 bhp, the Stock Intercooler of the RS is not able to supply enough Cold air, back to the engine. That's why, after a while of driving, car will loose some power/ feel sluggish around the mid to high rev band.
got it!

Quote:
By upgrading to a bigger intercooler, you will solve this problem.
got it! but just by adding the bigger intercooler he wont get 240 right?? the bigger intercooler will just ease out the problem of loss of cold air?? (the car already has the Carbonio CAI) he needs to remap his car's ecu again for 240bhp?

Quote:
Also, I would suggest that you do not remove the rev-limiter. If you keep pushing the car really hard, without the limiter; it can damage the engine's internals.
very true.

Quote:
P.S: Have you changed the engine mounts ? ( Powerflex )
well shuvd will be able to answer this question. orey! where are you man?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 22:05   #139
BHPian

You are correct, just by changing the intercooler; he won't get 240 bhp.

He would need another remap, then the power would be upto 240 bhp. ( Since, the new intercooler can put out more cold air, this would need to be communicated to the ECU, via the new map ).

All the best !!
Old 6th March 2008, 22:11   #140
BHPian

shuvd,

I wanted to ask you about your brakes ?

How is the feel ( on the pedal ) and the stopping distance ? I somehow still don't feel its all that great, despite changing to bigger rotors and new pads on all 4 wheels.

On the contrary, a friend in Mumbai is still running his 240 bhp car on stock brakes and raves about them !
Old 6th March 2008, 22:59   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shuvd,

I wanted to ask you about your brakes ?

How is the feel ( on the pedal ) and the stopping distance ? I somehow still don't feel its all that great, despite changing to bigger rotors and new pads on all 4 wheels.

On the contrary, a friend in Mumbai is still running his 240 bhp car on stock brakes and raves about them !
Just chipping in on behalf of shuvd here...the brakes aren't great at the moment. Nowhere close to enough for a car with this kinda power. Not sure about your friend's case, but I don't think shuvd's too happy with the OE brakes
The new brakes have been sourced but not fitted yet because shuvd's looking for a set of original RS alloys. The new brakes cannot be fitted with the current set of alloys.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 23:36   #142
Senior - BHPian

Are the RS and TPi Rider stock brakes, identical?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 12:02   #143
BHPian

I think so ! The RS and Tpi share the same brakes and braking system, as far as I know.

Anyway, I maybe a little finical, since I am comparing the above to the brakes on my Civic. It sure is a lot more confidence inspiring than the RS currently !!
Old 11th March 2008, 12:19   #144
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, sorry guys for such a long period of silence. Didn't have regular access to a comp.
@ Piranaha Boy & Anshurao - Thanks guys!

@ Akshay1234 - The engine seems starved at 6K+ rpm and knocks sometimes.

@ Eclipse 78 - Thanks for the explanation. Can't even afford to think of an IC right now. I haven't changed the engine mounts yet and am still running on stock brakes. Stock brakes were good enough for stock power. But now, its reallly inadequate.

Update:
Have been using Speed 97 for sometime now. Haven't noticed any gains.
A new problem has cropped up. At 3K rpm, the engine feels strained and misses its beat sometimes. Was advised to get the fuel pump checked.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 20:06   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Eclipse 78 - Thanks for the explanation. Can't even afford to think of an IC right now. I haven't changed the engine mounts yet and am still running on stock brakes. Stock brakes were good enough for stock power. But now, its reallly inadequate.

Update:
Have been using Speed 97 for sometime now. Haven't noticed any gains.
A new problem has cropped up. At 3K rpm, the engine feels strained and misses its beat sometimes. Was advised to get the fuel pump checked.
I think its a VERY bad idea running a stage 2 map with a Stock intercooler surely will ruin your engine! as for the car feeling sluggish @3K RPM it could also be the injectors that need upgrading.

I very well could be wrong but this is what I have understood when I was researching about maps on 1.8T.

Regards,

Satyam.
sbfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 15:36   #146

Hahaha. Good job with stage 2 remap bro. But yes, like viper said. Excessive power is always addictive. Drive safe.
Aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:55   #147
BHPian

Quote:
I think so ! The RS and Tpi share the same brakes and braking system, as far as I know.

Anyway, I maybe a little finical, since I am comparing the above to the brakes on my Civic. It sure is a lot more confidence inspiring than the RS currently !!
if i am not mistaken,the RS has discs all over,where as the Tpi has Discs at the front and drums at the back.
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:06   #148
BHPian

Nope, The RS and the 1.8 Tpi, both have discs all around.

Confirmed this with Skoda. Also checked their website.
Old 14th March 2008, 04:07   #149
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Interesting article must read

Came across a very interesting article in which the turbo K03 is used in Skoda tpi too is compared with k04.

"" - The turbocharger used on the 1.8T VW's is the Borg-Warner KKK03. The K03 turbo is a smaller turbo, capable of spooling up much quicker than other traditional turbos. Stock, the engine/turbo combination produces 150hp, with 150ft/lbs of torque that kick in at about 1750 rpms; all at a safe 7psi. The beauty of the engine is that torque stays on all the way through the rpm range, so full torque is available through almost all of the rpm range. This makes the car a joy to drive, with smooth consisitent power always available.

Now add chip tuning to the equation. For about 500 dollars, chip tuners modify your ecu to perform at different levels. In the past, this meant a few percent gain in hp. Boost management is handled by the ECU, so chip tuners are able to generate massive amounts of power by modifying the stock programming. On the stock program, the turbo generates about 5-7 psi. For example, with the GIAC 1.1 bar chip, your car will now make about 15-16 psi of boost pressure. Under loaded conditions, the GIAC can spike at up to 20 psi. What does this all mean? Increasing your power by about 33% with just the chip makes large amounts of HP and torque available immediately. HP is up by about 47 over stock, and torque is increased by up to an amazing 90 ft/lbs!!!! For most drivers is simply the easiest, most effective power upgrade available.

All this power does have it's tradeoffs. The K03 turbo was designed to run reliably at certain boost and temperature levels. By chipping, you are increasing the boost and temperature levels, which may decrease the life of the turbo. By using a simple bolt-on upgrade, such as a KKK04 (K04) turbo, power levels increase to around 230-240 hp, while the temperatures stay about the same. Stay away from full throttle, and temps will be even lower. Of course these levels can only be attained be updating the ecu programming, a feature only available to users of the baseline GIAC chip. For a small fee, you can get the K04 program on a chip, and pop it into the special board that was put on when you got the first GIAC chip. Most K04 kits with GIAC chip and all the extras (like gaskets and new thermostat) are available for under $2,000.

So that's still not enough power, huh? Even more options are available, but you better upgrade some other items before getting up to the next level of power. It would be advisable to get the following before going above 250 hp:
  • Limited Slip Differential (Peloquin or Quaife)
  • Upgraded Suspension
  • Larger Brakes or better pads
  • Larger/wider tires
  • Bailey DV
  • FMIC (Front Mounted Intercooler) or other cooling options
Although these modifications are not required, they are recommended so you can control the new amounts of power your 1.8T engine will put to the ground. Some people even do these mods at the 200 hp level. So what are all these things? We'll add links later so you can click them and get all the tech information.

Garrett turbocharger kits - to be added soon
K16 upgrade info - to be added soon
RS2 turbocharger information - to be added soon

Stage I - Usually chip, exhaust, filter - good for about 200 hp, 240 ft/lbs of torque
Stage II - Add a new K04 turbocharger, good for about 240 hp, 2xx ft/lbs of torque Stage III - Custom turbo kits, capable of producing near or greater than 300 hp. ""
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 11:26   #150
Senior - BHPian

Nice read, thanks. Could you tell us the source of the article? Maybe we could get some more insight there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
"...All this power does have it's tradeoffs. The K03 turbo was designed to run reliably at certain boost and temperature levels. By chipping, you are increasing the boost and temperature levels, which may decrease the life of the turbo. By using a simple bolt-on upgrade, such as a KKK04 (K04) turbo, power levels increase to around 230-240 hp, while the temperatures stay about the same..."
So this essentially means that the stock turbo needs to be upgraded to handle the extra temperature? Would that be a better option than an intercooler? How much would each cost?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote