Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th February 2008, 01:15   #1
BHPian

Default Lowering suspension(ground clearance or ride height) for the SX4

I have a Maruti SX4 Zxi. I don't like the high ground clearance(ride height) and want to lower the suspension a little bit(around 15mm) to make the car look more aggressive and sporty. I want to know if lowering kits are available in India or if not where do I need to go to get it done. Something like shorter suspension springs etc would be fine.
I want to get low profile tyres but I think it will look ugly given the high ground clearance of the SX4. Before I fit low profiles i want to bring the ride height down. The SX4 Sedan which was released recently in America. It's ride height is 10mm lesser than the SX4 crossover. Also the sedan uses low profile tyres and the crossover has high profile tyres. So i don't know whether the lower ride height was acheived by using lower profile tyres or if the suspension was modded and lowered. Any help would be appreciated
dharmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 05:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod - Please post your thread in the appropriate section. (Ask the Gurus is for In Car Entertainment)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 07:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

10 mm difference can be achieved through lower profile alone. However I'm not saying the suspension of the US and Indian versions is the same, traditionally Indian versions have had stiffer spring rates than the US versions (eg. US-Suzuki Swift and Esteem aka Baleno).

You should be aiming for atleast an inch drop. Any lower a difference is not worth the effort.

Google is your friend: SX4 Forums - Powered by vBulletin
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 09:25   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
I have a Maruti SX4 Zxi. I don't like the high ground clearance(ride height) and want to lower the suspension a little bit(around 15mm) to make the car look more aggressive and sporty. I want to know if lowering kits are available in India or if not where do I need to go to get it done. Something like shorter suspension springs etc would be fine.
I want to get low profile tyres but I think it will look ugly given the high ground clearance of the SX4. Before I fit low profiles i want to bring the ride height down. The SX4 Sedan which was released recently in America. It's ride height is 10mm lesser than the SX4 crossover. Also the sedan uses low profile tyres and the crossover has high profile tyres. So i don't know whether the lower ride height was acheived by using lower profile tyres or if the suspension was modded and lowered. Any help would be appreciated
Hi,

Am not sure if lowering kits/coilovers are out for this car yet but if not it will just be a matter of time before they are. However you should know that doing this will void your warranty and they are not exactly cheap.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you do some digging around, you might find that parts from the Swift might fit the SX4 with minor mods.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

My personal opinion is high ground clearance is required for the cars nowadays. The road humps are not laid properly and it will be of uneven height and if you do off roading or the terrian is too bumpy or the terrian is pot hole ridden, then this is very much required. Hope you might have considered all these factors.

As ananthkamath has suggested, you can consider lowering the profile of tyres which will reduce GC a bit.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you really want the help in LOOKS department, all round skirting will give the car a mean and low look.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:19   #8
BANNED

I wonder where the country is heading these days. World is moving towards low-rides (for better aerodynamics, better FE). But here in our country the leading car maker does it and launches a high ride and Govt is laying roads for those high rides .
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
My personal opinion is high ground clearance is required for the cars nowadays.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I wonder where the country is heading these days. World is moving towards low-rides (for better aerodynamics, better FE). But here in our country the leading car maker does it and launches a high ride and Govt is laying roads for those high rides .
Hey Buddy, You are in Bangalore and you might have experienced what I'am talking about, right. Needs to be prepared for every obstacle on the road though.. My Ikon will get scraped (in bottom) if I take it over on a huge hump.

Last edited by snaronikar : 6th February 2008 at 10:23.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

on some sx4 forum there was some mention on ESTELIR lowering springs for the sx4 with m15 engine.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 20:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Get 18" Rims with Skirting all around!!! It will make your car look mean.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Please wait!HKS will be entering india officially very soon and they will be catering to the suspension needs of the sx4.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 23:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Please wait!HKS will be entering india officially very soon and they will be catering to the suspension needs of the sx4.

I blv that HKS is already in.. Racedynamics is a dealer for HKS products!

cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I blv that HKS is already in.. Racedynamics is a dealer for HKS products!

cheers
Shrey
I know that,not officially out though.Demo car is an sx4.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Koni's may have some lowering kits. Something new is in town called the STRT kit from Konis. check itout
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote