Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th April 2009, 02:22   #16
BHPian

Looks difficult IMO. Why do I feel that the floor at the back of the Safari is at a slight higher level than the middle and front row. If it is correct then it will become a very intensive job. A good fabricator should be able to suggest.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 03:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
guys i want to know weather one can change the seating configuration of Safari ie. replacing the jump seats with a front facing 3rd row bench (like in innova or scorpio or Xylo or grande etc) i know the boot space will be compromised but still i want the 3rd row. can this be done???
Nishant, I have been thinking about the same as well. Not having a front facing third row atleast for kids is big drawback as far as I am concerned. I am thinking of fabricating a custom seat frame. However, it won't fit snugly into the side compartment as the original and you will probably loose some cargo space, but I think it will be a lot more practical to have kids sitting forward rather than sideways.

I have read that the latest European union safety regulation doesn't allow side facing rear seats.
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 09:26   #18
BHPian

Default 4x4addict

i totally agree with u its much more practical. if i curse anyone i would curse them for a long drive in jump seats . BTW have u seen anyone with the 3rd row setup
nishant kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 10:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

This should be an interesting thread to watch.
What would be the odds to fit the 3rd row seats of the Innova. Can that be managed???
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 11:13   #20
BHPian

Hi,

This is a feature I always missed - I did attempt to search for a solution. I did take cues from the Landcruiser (which I drove for 5 years in the Middle East). You need a seat which you can pull down when needed, lift the top portion , to make it as the back rest and you will have the front facing seat. I tried my best to go around Chennai but every mechanic pointed me to Coimbatore where this is being done I believe. I probably think it can be fabricated on the left side where the current two seater exist, but the chassis design on the right could make it very difficult. But with some good enthusiastic car interior decorator I think this is possible.

cheers
Ram
ram2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Wouldn't front facing 3rd row seats also require seat belts ?

Would it be easy to install seat belts for the third row, that are strong enough to restrain the occupant in the unfortunate event of an impact ?

IIRC, both Sumo Victa (some top-end versions) and Sumo Grande (all versions) have 3rd row front facing seats. Perhaps it would be easier to migrate these to Safari ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 11:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Nishant, I have been thinking about the same as well. Not having a front facing third row atleast for kids is big drawback as far as I am concerned. I am thinking of fabricating a custom seat frame. However, it won't fit snugly into the side compartment as the original and you will probably loose some cargo space, but I think it will be a lot more practical to have kids sitting forward rather than sideways.
I'm thinking along the same lines, but rather than fashion a whole new bench in the rear I'm thinking of experimenting by putting the last row seats (2 individual front facing seats that fold away neatly into the plastic on the sides making for a neat load bay when stowed) from the Discovery Series II. Very well designed seats - I found these while I was looking for front facing seats for the Defender as the older versions come with bench seats.

Will experiment and let you guys know, but the seat is very well made and when folded it should fit into the indents for the current jump seats. Despite this they have a longer and usable seatback as it is designed in a manner that it will retract when folded to the size of the seat.

Excuse the long-winded description - cant think of a better way to explain the same!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 14:26   #23
BHPian

thanks guys for your valuable inputs.. i have a very vierd and crazy idea of rear seats of the wagon r as the 3rd row for many reasons

1. i think they'll be cheaper than others
2. wogon r seats are twin folding ie only haft part of the bench can also be folded, hence u have flexible seating.
3.i think it would fit in the rear space
Old 26th April 2009, 14:34   #24
BHPian

Default @FourWheelDrift

i agree with u that rear seat belts are essential but even in the factory seating there aint any provision for it. 1st lets figure out about the seat and then we will try to do something for belts
Old 27th April 2009, 00:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
2. wogon r seats are twin folding ie only haft part of the bench can also be folded, hence u have flexible seating.
3.i think it would fit in the rear space
Can the wagon r seats be flipped over similar to the scorpio/third row seating? If so you can fold them and flip them over completely rather than trying to fold them to the side.

You can also consider the third row from the Sumo grande.
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 16:25   #26
BHPian

Default 4x4addict

yes it can be folded like in scorpio and the better part is that one can also choose to fold just half of the bench also
Old 1st June 2009, 17:05   #27
BHPian

Default Any Updates

Hi Steeroid,

Any updates on your Safari rear seats plan? Eagerly looking forward to it.

Cheers
maktags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 17:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Excuse the long-winded description - cant think of a better way to explain the same!
IMHO at least innova has similar 3ed row seats which divide in between and fold to the sides or I have misunderstood the description ?
If they will fit in Safari loading bay or not need to be checked.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 09:48   #29
BHPian

Why doesn't TATA have the third row front facing as an option - in the first place!
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 10:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Why doesn't TATA have the third row front facing as an option - in the first place!
Because is it essentially a 5 passangers + lots of luggage vehicle and not a people mover.
Fitting in 3ed row does not gel with the design and needs major changes such as lowering the floorboard in back ( may reduce the clearance for rear overhang or raising the roof height by 5 inches ( may spoil the dynamics)

For more then 5 Adults Grande is the offering from Tata , I found it more comfirtable in seating department and drivability then comptetion but outer shell design and badging leaves much to be desired.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote