Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th February 2008, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Exclamation need guidelines for installing parking sensors

hello

im planning to install parking sensors both rear and front(with display on rear view mirror). Please suggest some guidelines/tips to be followed during the installation

thanks
sathya_j2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 18:56   #2
BHPian

I have an article about installing Parking sensors in Logan but unfortunately its in Romanian, but its very useful with DIY pics of installation - see if you can find online Romanian translation website:

Montare senzori de parcare, --- pe Logan --- - DaciaClub
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 21:00   #3
BHPian

A translated english version is given here as well - Reversing aid, Reversing buzzer - DaciaClub

Also can you guys please let me know cost of 4 sensor aid with rear mirror display?

Please share what you have in your car and experience with reversing.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 22:30   #4
BHPian

I got my Reverse sensor installed for my NHC. Cost me Rs.2200 for 4 sensors with one year warranty. I dont know the brand. This was drilled into the rear bumper. The display is a rear view mirror,. When you engage the reverse gear, there is a colorful display in the IRVM which gives approx distance and also has an audible beep sound. As the distance reduces, the beeping sound increases too. I dont even need to look at the mirror while reversing. Just following the sound is enough.
Have managed to save my reverse lights on a couple of occasions, when the sensor showed how close I was to the car parked behind.
I would recommend this for peace of mind and if you are not confident while parking your car.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 00:23   #5
BHPian

Hi,

I have booked a Fiat Linea - Emotion Pack - 1.4 in Azure Blue.

However, I am in a bit of a quandary. I wish to install reverse parking sensors on the car and asked the sales guy at the Tata owned flagship store in Bombay about the option. He claimed that he did not know but thinks that it is not allowed. So I then proceeded to e-mail Fiat India as I do not wish the warranty to become void. Within 2 business days I received a call from Fiat and the customer rep I spoke to told me that "Fiat has not approved any after market parking sensors. However, if you do install them - only the warranty on the bumper becomes void."

Another Fiat rep at the store then told me that electrical wiring changes to the car void the warranty of the entire vehicle. I asked him what would happen if I ordered wireless sensors from Amazon or some such and he was at a loss to provide a coherent answer. Could some of the members here please shed light on a resolution of this issue?

Thanks

Invidious
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Hi,
Could some of the members here please shed light on a resolution of this issue? Invidious
Hi! Welcome to Team Linea on Team-BHP!
Many Linea owners have gone for reverse parking sensors. Here in Ahmedabad, one of the Linea owner had gone for it in his E+ variant and he was charged for Blue&Me system replacement as electrical wires were cut and this reverse parking installed. So make it sure that you do not allow any wires to cut if you go for it. The official stand by Fiat is not clear with all dealers as some dealers themselves offer reverse parking sensors. My personal opinion is to avoid installing it till warranty is valid.
nehamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 13:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I received a call from Fiat and the customer rep I spoke to told me that "Fiat has not approved any after market parking sensors. However, if you do install them - only the warranty on the bumper becomes void."

Another Fiat rep at the store then told me that electrical wiring changes to the car void the warranty of the entire vehicle. I asked him what would happen if I ordered wireless sensors from Amazon or some such and he was at a loss to provide a coherent answer. Could some of the members here please shed light on a resolution of this issue?
Yes. As long as you do not disturb the existing wiring, it should not void the warranty.

Btw, whats the warranty for a bumper? Even insurance guys wont give you full amount for that. What manufacturing defect are they talking about? Paint pealing off etc?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have booked a Fiat Linea - Emotion Pack - 1.4 in Azure Blue.

However, I am in a bit of a quandary. I wish to install reverse parking sensors on the car and asked the sales guy at the Tata owned flagship store in Bombay about the option. He claimed that he did not know but thinks that it is not allowed. So I then proceeded to e-mail Fiat India as I do not wish the warranty to become void. Within 2 business days I received a call from Fiat and the customer rep I spoke to told me that "Fiat has not approved any after market parking sensors. However, if you do install them - only the warranty on the bumper becomes void."

Thanks

Invidious
Hi I had reverse sensors fitted on my Linea from the dealer itself. Cost Rs3500/-. I don't think they can void my warranty if it is fitted by them.
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes. As long as you do not disturb the existing wiring, it should not void the warranty.

Btw, whats the warranty for a bumper? Even insurance guys wont give you full amount for that. What manufacturing defect are they talking about? Paint pealing off etc?
Yea - I was taken aback by that ridiculous assertion on the bumper too. At least the agent was polite but started fumbling when I asked about the wireless sensors. A family friend who owns a couple of auto showrooms inserted them on his Linea and said it would not be a hassle. I just wish the guys at Fiat would give me a straight answer. Well c'est la vie with the Fiat-Tata chaps.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
Hi I had reverse sensors fitted on my Linea from the dealer itself. Cost Rs3500/-. I don't think they can void my warranty if it is fitted by them.
I recently booked an MJD E+ Punto and I spoke to the Sales Exec about the Reversing Sensor. He mentioned the same thing i.e. it would void the warranty. He also mentioned an Authorised Sensor can be installed at the dealership for Rs. 6000.
Is anybody aware of any Fiat-authorised Reverse parking sensor? I wonder what happens to the bumper warranty in such a case.
Another thing, is it possible to install any Reversing sensor without cutting/splicing the wires? What does voiding the warranty exactly mean in this case?
psmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith View Post
I recently booked an MJD E+ Punto and I spoke to the Sales Exec about the Reversing Sensor. He mentioned the same thing i.e. it would void the warranty. He also mentioned an Authorised Sensor can be installed at the dealership for Rs. 6000.
Is anybody aware of any Fiat-authorised Reverse parking sensor? I wonder what happens to the bumper warranty in such a case.
Another thing, is it possible to install any Reversing sensor without cutting/splicing the wires? What does voiding the warranty exactly mean in this case?
There is nothing called a "Fiat-authorised Reverse parking sensor" !

In normal circumstances, the installation won't void your warranty.

It's not possible to install without any cutting "any" wires.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 10:44   #12
BHPian

very correctly said by mithun sir,
even i had contacted the customer care and then many tata-fiat dealers in Delhi. what they told me was that
1. if you get it installed by the authorized tata-fiat dealer, then the electrical warranty wont be void
2. there should be cutting of the existing wires. as this could affect the climate control, abs and blue&me.

regards
SINGH
S.I.N.G.H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 15:49   #13
BHPian

Well when I Installed the reverse sensors in my Fiesta no wires where cut,the connection was done to the reverse light.The reverse sensor kit had wires with some kind of a clip.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 17:58   #14
BHPian

hi yogi,
the problem with fiat is that the wiring is very complex. many circuits are interconnected. so even if one circuit is disturbed, the other circuit is also affected. and hence the electrical warranty goes void!
S.I.N.G.H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 18:27   #15
BHPian

Try to work out a deal with the service manager and he would help you install the parking sensor with the authorised service person. You just need to purchase the parkign sensor and give it to him.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote