Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th February 2008, 01:00   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default Ractive growl!!

Hi guys,
I have a ractive sf100 conical filter installed in my siena 1.6.When you floor the accelerator,the intake sound is a lot.I had a k&n filter before and compared to the ractive the intake sound wasnt too much.
Does the sound that the filter makes,signify anything?
for eg:is the filter sucking in more air or less air,if the intake roar is more or less.
Why is it that different intake filters sound different when they are sucking in air.Is this in relation to the quality of mesh used?
why does the ractive make so much more sound?Is there anything wrong with it?

P.S:Mods please move this thread if required.Didn't know whether i should have posted this query in the K&N vs RACTIVE thread.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 01:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
P.S:Mods please move this thread if required.Didn't know whether i should have posted this query in the K&N vs RACTIVE thread.
I'm not a mod though someone will soon point you to this thread. (Oh Shut Up! - Intake Growl)
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 03:11   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I'm not a mod though someone will soon point you to this thread. (Oh Shut Up! - Intake Growl)
But nobody has mentioned why the sound is more due to an intake...is it pulling in more air or less air due to which it makes so much of noise?

Last edited by hellspawn : 7th February 2008 at 03:16.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 08:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But nobody has mentioned why the sound is more due to an intake...is it pulling in more air or less air due to which it makes so much of noise?
its pulling in more air. did u have a k&n stock replacement before this?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
When you floor the accelerator,the intake sound is a lot.I had a k&n filter before and compared to the ractive the intake sound wasnt too much.
Was the K&N installed in the Sienna or the Zen?

If you want an apple-to-apple comparison, just borrow someones K&N and set it up on the Sienna using the same plumbing.

IMO - the sound is because the filter is getting less air than it should be . .. for e.g. when one is running and can't get enough air, one "tries" to suck in more air and hence the panting ..

Also, if you remember when I got that crappy CAI system fitted on my OHC by the Noida tuner - and the intake volume was practically 5 times more and ROARING past 4k rpm .. the car REALLY slowed down post 4-5K rpm and the revs refused to climb .. Now that i've thrown it away, the growl is much less ..
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:30   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Could be coz its a "Dry" filter ?
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Could be coz its a "Dry" filter ?
That could be a reason.

Once oiled and properly wet, it is likely to become smoother and hence less noisy
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 14:05   #8
BHPian

Binz is running a Ractive filter oiled...you should check uip with him
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 17:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have a Ractive SF100 fitted in my Lancer. Doesn't sound too loud... similar decibel levels to the K&N in my Santro. Am assuming this is a new filter, so it should be oiled. Check the plumbing to ensure there are no leaks. If that's a non-issue, take your car to the guy you bought the Ractive from and have him check it out. Ask for a replacement if the filter's faulty.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 23:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
IMO - the sound is because the filter is getting less air than it should be . .. for e.g. when one is running and can't get enough air, one "tries" to suck in more air and hence the panting ..
I may have a different theory from scientific "Dr Watson" over here...

Even a stock intake makes noise very loud sucking noises its only that u cant hear it becoz of the resonator.
Have u looked under the hood of your OHC ? there is something called a resonator used in Stock intake systems, its a black colored box behind the bumper, the stock filter box is connected to this.. it provides some amount of muffling for the intake noise.. remove it and see how loud ur stock intake becomes ..

Think of it in this way.. sucking through a pipe directly or sucking air thru the same pipe with the tip placed in a large box with a large opening for air. The second setup will be less noisy.
More noise doesnt mean its dying for air etc etc or start "panting".

In a "so called" CAI setup the airfilter directly sucks air so u can hear the intake suction..
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 23:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
hey hellspawn.. noise doesn't tell u anything, stock intakes are also noisy if u dont have/remove the resonator box.

Just see how does it feel ?Do u feel the car is being held back ? if not then u are ok..

Stock systems pull air via the big resonator box which reduces the suction noise, your aftermarket sucks directly so u can hear it sucking in the air, plz dont go by the sound of the suction.

Plz dont use Manveet's theory of "running,panting hence the noise" as posted above..
Old 7th February 2008, 23:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ractive = dry type(non-oiled)
K&N = wet type(oiled)
Hence the difference.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

In my expereince running panting = less air in the system. I used to have a K&N and then a green cotton. The intake growl was more on the green cotton. I have found after umpteen attempts at tuning my aftermarket ECU is that the louder the growl the more restricted the air flow. My stock swift filter breathes better than my green cotton. Have to go back to my K&N and try this again. Will post results here.

In conclusion what I am trying to say is that lesser the sound the better the breathing of an intake.

More sound = more restrictive breathing.

Note: My stock filter has a resonance box but it still breathes better than the green cotton.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to prove that one filter is better than another. Just sharing my experiences with green. Also I dont have a K&N dealership.

Last edited by vikram_d : 7th February 2008 at 23:37.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 00:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
In my expereince running panting = less air in the system. I used to have a K&N and then a green cotton. The intake growl was more on the green cotton. I have found after umpteen attempts at tuning my aftermarket ECU is that the louder the growl the more restricted the air flow. My stock swift filter breathes better than my green cotton. Have to go back to my K&N and try this again. Will post results here.

In conclusion what I am trying to say is that lesser the sound the better the breathing of an intake.

More sound = more restrictive breathing.

Note: My stock filter has a resonance box but it still breathes better than the green cotton.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to prove that one filter is better than another. Just sharing my experiences with green. Also I dont have a K&N dealership.
Im not comfortable with judging air intakes based on noise theory.
It could depend on the design and type of installation etc etc
I'd go more on the feel of the car than the noise of the intake to decide..

The car could be panting becoz of the cam/headers/exhaust or any other custom tuning done.. not solely becoz of the air filter(loud) at those rpms which could be slowing it down...
Old 8th February 2008, 00:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Chetan - I agree with you on most points but if the intake is breathing properly then there should be no sound (resonator box present or not). Air or wind for that matter causes a sound only if there is an obstruction in the way.

Trust me I have spent my whole day driving around bangalore with a modified air intake but no filter attached to it and the difference was amazing. My car is a completely stock car except for a RD ECU. It even has stock headers.

I never knew not having a filter could make so much difference to the performance of my car. I ran my car all of today with no air filter and the difference was mind blowing even on the stock ECU.

Last edited by vikram_d : 8th February 2008 at 00:19.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote