Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th January 2005, 18:18   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb Euro 3 and Octane Rating

I read somewhere that with the advent of Euro III, the octane rating of petrol sold in India would go up. Ordinary would be 91 octane, IOC premium would be 93 and Speed 93 would become Speed 95. Can someone confirm this?

Once this is done, should we not as "responsible & caring" drivers and car lovers upgrade our ECU's so that our engines start accepting this higher grade fuel and kick out a few more horses?
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 18:41   #2

With the Euro III regular petrol will be 91 octane and premium will be 95 octane (refer http://petroleum.nic.in/ch_8.pdf)
gurdeep_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 18:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What abt older Euro 1 vehicles will they be forced to use higher Octane fuels ???
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 18:55   #4

The minimum avaliable petrol will be 91 RON.
But i am not sure if it is only for the cities where Euro III will be made mandatory or is it across India...
gurdeep_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 19:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In the same document I found this (page # 2)

"[font=Times New Roman]using higher octane rating petrol than that required will not improve the vehicle performance."[/font]
[font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]"[font=Times New Roman]Octane number has no direct correlation with emissions. High octane number fuel permits use of higher compression ratio engines which on account of higher thermal efficiency give better fuel economy and lower CO[/font][font=Times New Roman][size=1]2 [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman]emissions."[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][font=Times New Roman]
[/font][/font]
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 10:41   #6
BHPian

usage of 93 octane in an engine which has been 'detuned' to run on 87 octane fuel will not make any difference, since the ignition will happen before the engine reaches its maximum compression.
however, my gut feel is that if you can reprogram the chip you would be able to exploit the higher octane fuel. case in point being the RS, which has been detuned to run on 91 octane instead of 98 octane and thus losing out on about 30bhp!!!
i was reading somewhere that the thumbrule to arrive at octane requirement from compression ratio is to use 10 x compression ratio. i.e. if your engine runs on a compression ratio of 9.8:1, you should use 98 octane fuel...
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 10:07   #7
BHPian

hi, i have 5 vw vehicles with aircooled vw engines, as i was reading the service manual which stated that higher the fuel octane and we can advance the engine firing more, and min octane is 91 so what all ratings are available in india?
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote