Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th May 2008, 21:38   #76
BHPian

dude, wire wheels will either make the car look like a classic or a bling ride.

why dont you make the car look unique like a proper muscle machine while trying to stick with original body lines.

making it look like a mustang copy or something like that will bring negative reactions.

take your time but do it right.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:13   #77
BHPian

In the distant future, I might get a cheap used HM Contessa in India and make it into a muscle car, mostly because of its rear wheel drivetrain and looks.

I was wondering that if I can export a crate Chevy V8 (small block maybe) engine from North America to India, will it be even legal?

If it's legal, how much duties and taxes am I looking at?

Also I noticed the small hood (bonnet) of the Contessa which might pose a problem for mounting V8 engines especially with a blower. I think the boxer engines (6 cylinder) might be a good option for such a low hoodline.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
dude, wire wheels will either make the car look like a classic or a bling ride.

why dont you make the car look unique like a proper muscle machine while trying to stick with original body lines.

making it look like a mustang copy or something like that will bring negative reactions.

take your time but do it right.
I will be taking my time , I am just exploring options at this moment. Though the 2 door conversion is definitely on my agenda, I do want to keep the original bodyline intact as far as possible. I fully agree that the conty is a beautiful car, both to look at and drive. After all, I do own one, right?
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 15:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
In the distant future, I might get a cheap used HM Contessa in India and make it into a muscle car, mostly because of its rear wheel drivetrain and looks.

Also I noticed the small hood (bonnet) of the Contessa which might pose a problem for mounting V8 engines especially with a blower. I think the boxer engines (6 cylinder) might be a good option for such a low hoodline.
A better option would be to take off the body & plant it on a Toyota Crown chassis & running gear (have been looking at this project for a while). The Contessa chassis & running gear would not be able to cope with such powerful & heavy engines & outputs. Plus, there is also the issue of suspension & brakes.

The Crown is powered by a NA 2JZ & an auto so it would be much more easier to ramp up the output on that platform considering the myriad options available for it worldwide. Plus, you can also easily source better brakes & suspension for it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 07:11   #80
BHPian

Isn't the Crown substantially bigger than the conti?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
A better option would be to take off the body & plant it on a Toyota Crown chassis & running gear (have been looking at this project for a while). The Contessa chassis & running gear would not be able to cope with such powerful & heavy engines & outputs. Plus, there is also the issue of suspension & brakes.

The Crown is powered by a NA 2JZ & an auto so it would be much more easier to ramp up the output on that platform considering the myriad options available for it worldwide. Plus, you can also easily source better brakes & suspension for it.
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 23:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:

I'll worry about the engine and chassis later.

But for now I was wondering if it's even legal in India to install crate engines on Indian cars. And also what kind of duties and taxes are you supposed to pay when you import engines from outside the country.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 23:32   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Contessa does not have seperate body and chassis configuration. It's unibody construction with subframes for engine & suspension.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 23:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
But for now I was wondering if it's even legal in India to install crate engines on Indian cars. And also what kind of duties and taxes are you supposed to pay when you import engines from outside the country.
It's possible but not easy. Importing the engine is not going to be a cake walk, you'll have to deal with customs who are going to be a pain in the *** unless you have contacts & even then you'll have to cough up a heavy amount in duties & bribes.

For the engine transplant, you'll have to get it endorsed on your car's RC by the RTO which is again not an easy process & also depends on which state you're going to be in. For eg. It would be easier to get this done in UP thank Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Contessa does not have seperate body and chassis configuration. It's unibody construction with subframes for engine & suspension.
Yes, but it seems some juggad is possible (this is India after all!), I'll do an in-depth on this & get back to you as to how that guy aims to accomplish this.

Last edited by iraghava : 31st May 2008 at 23:44.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 23:55   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but it seems some juggad is possible (this is India after all!), I'll do an in-depth on this & get back to you as to how that guy aims to accomplish this.
Yes it should be possible, i didn't say it's impossible. Nothing is impossible if there is a will to do it And more importantly vitamin M!

Please let us know how he's going to do it.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 23:56   #85
BHPian

Thumbs up Hm Contessa Upgrade

Imagine this guys... Convert the car into a 2 seater .. Don't change the wheelbase/chassis anything.. The rear windshield, bring it slightly to the front.. Seal the rear doors... Boot becomes bigger...
The rear, try round lamps encircled in chrome.. for the front.. try round headlamps and only a single honeycomb grille.. chrome it if you please...

colour of the car... black - with oodles of chrome...

oh. not to forget.. a MASSIVE carburettor (fake or real, no probs), or maybe even a fake engine head.. to give the impression of the engine being too big to fit in the conty's bay..

I am basically an SUV guy... I even started the Tata Safari community on Orkut.. But I have a special weakness for the contessa.. it was the first car I had driven back in college... Now I plan to do a Project Contessa myself.. This was the idea I had, so thought I should share..

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by aah78 : 5th August 2008 at 02:04. Reason: See note.
hkborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 21:57   #86
BHPian

Default im still think(k)ing

my car is just getting its body panels moulded and bent and curved and thrashed. Id love to get any feasable advice on how to reduce the panel gaps. im more interested in the bonnet and front doors . specially the l shaped bend that the front door has while protruding towards the bonnet .

so any advice or DIY tricks to be used for reducing panel gaps would be greatly appreciated . ive looked at alluminium tubing and welding it along the doorframes to give rounded edges . but im sceptical about getting a smooth finish .

ill let your minds give whatever ideas you come up with . good or bad , im sure everything just needs a bit of tweaking to make it the best idea . thanks in advance
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:08   #87
BHPian

HEY guys sorry was busy with some family work and could not reply and away from town as well but now i'm back and back with a bang.

I have searched and researched on the conti and now reached to a conclusion
Isuzu Diesel Engines

There are 4 variants of ISUZU Engines commonly available

ISZ1800CC
Engine Code 4FB1 = 4CY,1817CC,66/5000 OHC

Engine Code 4FB1T = 4CY,1817CC,78/5000 OHC
ISZ2000CC
Engine Code 4FC1 = 4CY,1995CC,73/4700 OHC

Engine Code 4FC1T = 4CY 1995CC,79/4500HP OHC
ISZ2200CC
Engine Code 4FD1 = 4CY,2189CC,73/4300HP OHC
ISZ2400CC
Engine Code 4FG1 = 4CY,2380CC,79/4300 OHC

Engine Code 4FG1T = 4 CY,2380CC,85/4300 OHC
HM+ISZ2000DSL
Engine Code 030196 = 4 CY,1995CC,58/4300 OHC

The worst performer is HM+ISZ Original Diesel engine fitted by company in Contessa 2.0DSL.
This engine can't even climb steep hills with AC ON.....
So lazy , this sluggish engine touches 110KMPH only if you have patience and wide low traffic roads..............
Meanwhile All Isuzu engines are at part with HM OEM Engines, but Top performer is 4FG1T<<<<A 2400CC Turbo Diesel beast, touches 160KMPH!!!! Awesome pickup, extremely low noise. This is real Glider.......

All Isuzu engines give Mileage around 18KMPL in normal traffic in city, 15KMPL in worst case traffic, and 20KMPL on Highways with cruising above 100KMPH in 5th Gear.........So low running costs.........

Place of Purcchase is MAYAPURI INDUSTRIAL ESTATE NEW-DELHI

Engine price ranges from 10K to 20K for working conditon, Overhauling Expenses are 15K to 25K ............only if needed.
The Turbo version uses Direct Feed Without Intercooler. Develops the boost around 2200RPM and above.....
Usually people feel that Diesel engines are sluggish and harsher than petrol engines, it was true some decades ago.
But When you feel the Essence of ISUZU DIESEL,it rocks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th August 2008 at 02:06. Reason: See note.
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 19:50   #88
BHPian

So as i can figure it out that these above stated engines can also be sourced in mumbai place's like Kurla (chor bazar) and the main chor bazar as well so i will be planing to go for the 4FG1T 2400cc Turbo Diesel for my conti what say guys pls update your comments on the above
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

well i was just wondering if the tavera's isuzu engine (which happens to be a rear wheel drive,) can be plonked in to the contessa? its 80ps@3900 Rpm, and i find it quite sufficient on the tavera, would this be too under powered, and what are the possibilities of fitting this engine?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:33   #90
BHPian

Hi absynthguzzler please post some pictures of the WIP of your contessa

Your thread also got me thinking of picking a contessa and having it redone with a sober paint job, the 2.4 Isuzu turbo diesel with 17 or 18" wheels, it will be sure one hell of a looker.

Am really waiting to see some pictures of your on going project !

If my mother gets to know my plans she will not let me in again :P

Till then, let the green fairy show some pictures

Indra
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote