Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 16:23   #1
BHPian
 
ashwin390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: Once
Default Car Scratch Remover

I found this interesting product on the net. The makers claim that it removes scratches. I remember seeing tele-shopping ads with similar claims, though i am not sure if it is for the same product.

Has anyone ever used such a product, or has any ideas about the usefulness/effectiveness of this?

Please Advise.

Indiaplaza.in : Electronics - Miscellaneous - Formula 1 Scratch Out

MODS: I did a search, but was unable to find a specific instance this product. If this is an inappropriate or a repeat query, please link this to the appropriate thread.
ashwin390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 16:34   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Just picked it up last Saturday & applied it on one door of the Safari that had a couple of long scratch - this is more of a liquid rubbing compound. It clearly mentions that deep scratches will not be removed. From what I saw, the light scratch did go away & it does clean up the surface & makes dull areas shine quite a bit. Need to test it out over a wider area - was too hung over last Sunday morning to put in to much effort

Method of application is quite simple - Ensure area is clean & dry, take this liquid on a clean cloth, apply in a circular motion. Allow it to dry to a haze & then rub it off with a chamois or soft cloth. The shine is quite noticeable.

By the way, I picked it up from our local car accessory shop for Rs 150 only.

Last edited by suman : 29th February 2008 at 16:35.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 16:50   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

True, its just a light liquid rubbing compound, have been on it for more than a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just picked it up last Saturday & applied it on one door of the Safari that had a couple of long scratch - this is more of a liquid rubbing compound. It clearly mentions that deep scratches will not be removed. From what I saw, the light scratch did go away & it does clean up the surface & makes dull areas shine quite a bit. Need to test it out over a wider area - was too hung over last Sunday morning to put in to much effort

Method of application is quite simple - Ensure area is clean & dry, take this liquid on a clean cloth, apply in a circular motion. Allow it to dry to a haze & then rub it off with a chamois or soft cloth. The shine is quite noticeable.

By the way, I picked it up from our local car accessory shop for Rs 150 only.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 17:27   #4
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

Not worth it, dont waste your money.

It removes scratches, which are almost not visible to the naked eye. Thats about it. Rest of the scratches remain.

I wish I could sue them for the pics (before/after pics) they have printed on the can. Its blunt cheating.
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 17:42   #5
BHPian
 
krazydriver84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kolkata + Gurgaon
Posts: 426
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

I bought one of these from one of the petrol pumps. I have used them, but all it seems to do is that it removes the carbon particles from the scratches thus making it gel with the colour of the body. It doesnt remove scratches, just the dirt which makes it very obvious.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 18:21   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Not worth it, dont waste your money.

It removes scratches, which are almost not visible to the naked eye. Thats about it. Rest of the scratches remain.

I wish I could sue them for the pics (before/after pics) they have printed on the can. Its blunt cheating.
U took the words from my mouth. I have been using this product for sometime, but it's mere waste while removing the scratches.
I use it only if i'm out of Wax polish. It gives a slight shining effect that's it.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default

I have used this and Scratch Out. These are mild rubbing compounds - period. Mild abrasions will be rubbed out, anything deeper - forget it. Also, after removing the scratch make sure that you lightly wax the affected area. They do work within their domain - but then so does the far cheaper Waxpol Rubbing compound (used to called Cutter Polish by the denters).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:23   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

normal thinner would also remove carbon from the scratch, and get you going. My dealer did this, when I have asked them to do simple touch-up.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:48   #9
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

You would be better off getting a coat of "rubbing polish" done at a local mechanic, for 1000 bucks. It will be far better.
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:50   #10
BHPian
 
gods-envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

like everyone says, its just a rubbing compound..
i too use it to remove some minor scratches on the car and the bike
gods-envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 11:47   #11
BHPian
 
somebodystopme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 502
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hi friends just got two small black scratches can they be removed by rubbing??
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 18:38   #12
BHPian
 
funkydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 92
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Guys just wanted to carry on with this thread and share a small piece of info.

Recently my regular car washer left some scratches on the bonnet . Yet to give my piece to him.

Tried everything possible, from the rubbing compound the carwala's use to scratch removers. Nothing helped out as the scratches were still visible.

Googled and found someone who used a 2000# sand paper and claimed the scratches to have visibly reduced. Went to the nearby paint hardware shop and got a 2000# sand paper worth Rs.40.

Tore done the sand paper to 1/4th and carefully rubbed the surface for about 5minutes. Surprisingly the scratches vanished but left the surface dull.

Applied Formula scratch remover then and the shine was there, but not up to the mark. Used a car polish and the bonnet is now shinning like new.
funkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 00:32   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

The 3M Liquid Wax, which comes in a small black bottle is very efficient in removing scratches resulting out of bruises with another body. There was this Green paint mark from a DTC Bus on i20, and more than 90% of it was removes using 3M Liquid Wax, for the rest 10% 3M's Finesse rubbing compound was used.

Anyhow, I'll suggest to first try 3M Liquid Wax before using any abrasive material like a Rubbing Compound.
tsk13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 11:50   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 124
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
=tsk13;1617084]The 3M Liquid Wax, which comes in a small black bottle is very efficient in removing scratches resulting out of bruises with another body. There was this Green paint mark from a DTC Bus on i20, and more than 90% of it was removes using 3M Liquid Wax, for the rest 10% 3M's Finesse rubbing compound was used.
Anyhow, I'll suggest to first try 3M Liquid Wax before using any abrasive material like a Rubbing Compound.
Hi tsk,

Does it work on the plastic bumpers as well. Can you please share the name and address of some good accessory shops that you trust in south delhi.

i need to buy some polish and seatcovers for my i20

Regards,
Somu

Last edited by somu_john : 5th December 2009 at 11:54.
somu_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 15:32   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Please see this product listed on rediff >
Fix It Pro Pen Removes Scratches From Color Car gifts in india at rediff shopping.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long you drove your car before it got a scratch/dent ntomer Shifting gears 245 16th August 2016 14:42
Need Xylene - DuPont Scratch Remover won't come off Pedaltothefloor Technical Stuff 7 9th October 2012 20:16
Scratch Remover shobhit15 The Indian Car Scene 7 2nd September 2005 11:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks