Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 09:16   #91
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
i think there is no difference between carbon fibre sheet and cloth,when u get the roll of carbon fibre its cloth like.you can spread it on the mould and apply the requisite resin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Thanks Mustang!

Anyone has done an installation on their dashes and trims in Bangalore? Appreciate if someone can give some pointers to a guy or guys who can do this. Thanks in advance!
carbon fiber cloth is a raw material to be used for production of parts, where as CF sheets are already prepared cloths ready to go, they have adhesive backing which can be contoured in any shape and pasted. In bangalore evo has installed couple of mautos CF SHEETS, if you want to coat your interiors with CF you can send the parts to Mauto , they will coat and send you back but takes a week time. The cost will work out half of these sheets and looks better.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by west : 10th June 2009 at 09:22.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:21   #92
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
carbon fiber cloth is a raw material to be used for production of parts, where as CF sheets are already prepared cloths ready to go, they have adhesive backing which can be contoured in any shape and pasted.
So, essentially cloth are CF sheets without adhesive backing?

If I just acquire cloth, how difficult it is to convert them into sheets and who can do it?

Last edited by JVH : 10th June 2009 at 09:22.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:26   #93
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
So, essentially cloth are CF sheets without adhesive backing?

If I just acquire cloth, how difficult it is to convert them into sheets and who can do it?
we are looking next to putting a composite manufacturing unit making CF parts is very hard, and also cf cloth is expensive, and you dont get raw materials in small quantities, unless.. you order a ton of every thing I believe..
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:30   #94
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
we are looking next to putting a composite manufacturing unit making CF parts is very hard, and also cf cloth is expensive, and you dont get raw materials in small quantities, unless.. you order a ton of every thing I believe..
Actually, a friend is returning from Swiss and he's got hold of 36" x 36" CF cloth. So, just wanted to check the feasibility of the next steps here

By the way, he quoted 40 Swiss Francs, that's about 35 USD approx.

So, it's better to get CF sheets right?

Edit - @West, I got ur PM, thanks!

Last edited by JVH : 10th June 2009 at 09:38.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:39   #95
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Actually, a friend is returning from Swiss and he's got hold of 36" x 36" CF cloth. So, just wanted to check the feasibility of the next steps here

By the way, he quoted 40 Swiss Francs, that's about 35 USD approx.

So, it's better to get CF sheets right?
I think to make CF sheet you need to use atleast 3 layers of cloth, so for 1 sq ft sheet you need 3 sqft cloth. It would work out that 600 rs /sq you need just cloth, where as coating will cost you around 1000 rs/ sqft finished
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 12:40   #96
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Thanks west!

I'll contact my local mechanic and seat accessories guy and see if he has any experience in working with the sheets. Accordingly, I'll decide whether to source or not to from Switzerland.

If not, Hyderabad is the only option
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:33   #97
BHPian
 
k_shanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: KL - TEN
Posts: 353
Thanked: 64 Times
Default My carbon lookalikes!

I sourced this from Chennai GP road Chennai. Pasted it on my rear licence plate trims and some on the dash and doors! I painted a coat of clear over it to stop it from fading away gradually!
k_shanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:46   #98
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
I sourced this from Chennai GP road Chennai. Pasted it on my rear licence plate trims and some on the dash and doors! I painted a coat of clear over it to stop it from fading away gradually!
Please post the pictures.

Cost? Who did the installation and finishing?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:57   #99
BHPian
 
k_shanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: KL - TEN
Posts: 353
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Please post the pictures.

Cost? Who did the installation and finishing?
Forgot to upload image! anyway here it is.

Installation did by myself, clear coated from a local garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Carbon Fibre Sheets / Self Adhesive Sheets / Stickers-22032009180.jpg  


Last edited by k_shanz : 10th June 2009 at 16:58. Reason: addition
k_shanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 17:20   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

why would you want to make real carbon fibre look like those fake carbon fibre look vinyls ??? the matte look would have been more authentic !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 18:16   #101
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
why would you want to make real carbon fibre look like those fake carbon fibre look vinyls ??? the matte look would have been more authentic !
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
I sourced this from Chennai GP road Chennai. Pasted it on my rear licence plate trims and some on the dash and doors! I painted a coat of clear over it to stop it from fading away gradually!
adding to green horn ,, it wont last long,from chipping if airlock is gone. sticker doesnt do good with clear.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 18:24   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
i think there is no difference between carbon fibre sheet and cloth,when u get the roll of carbon fibre its cloth like.you can spread it on the mould and apply the requisite resin.
While it is similar to glass fibre, there's a lot more to it. Else, I'd be running CF bonnet, boot and rear doors in my car.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 20:17   #103
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
While it is similar to glass fibre, there's a lot more to it. Else, I'd be running CF bonnet, boot and rear doors in my car.
yes, rightly said nitrous, glass fiber is a heavy material and takes lot of resin inside, so it can hold to surface, CF is something very different when it touches resin, it simply doesnt stay on the surface, very hard to keep on the surface resulting in lot of air bubbles. .and ofcourse sanding the surface is entirely a different story. You need to work your A.. of to get it to mirror finish... LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS .....AND .... OF WORK
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 23:38   #104
BHPian
 
k_shanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: KL - TEN
Posts: 353
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
why would you want to make real carbon fibre look like those fake carbon fibre look vinyls ??? the matte look would have been more authentic !
I had matte finish hood, i peeled of the sticker just 2 days back! The looks is Authentic but they are very prone to scratches!
k_shanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 10:26   #105
BHPian
 
TomRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 332
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
I had matte finish hood, i peeled of the sticker just 2 days back! The looks is Authentic but they are very prone to scratches!
How much did the CF look-alike cost you? Any contact info to get the same from Chennai?
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$12000 Carbon Fibre Wheels mikem Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 26 20th June 2015 15:40
Pics : New Ferrari F430 Coupe carbon fibre dash and cream interiors. Fireblader85 Super-Cars & Imports in India 82 23rd April 2008 03:00
Happy Birthday Moral Fibre,Oral Fibre,MF Drive,Moral Forboid etc. payam Shifting gears 44 20th November 2007 10:58
Carbon Fibre khanak Technical Stuff 14 10th February 2007 04:44
Working with carbon fibre! Edmund Technical Stuff 9 1st April 2006 09:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks