Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 31st January 2011, 18:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Seat belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Any pointers on who can help with installation of seat belts at the rear?
jeep you should find someone who makes the mold for the seats and he definitely can do something about.Your best bet is to head to JC road and check with the local chaps there. For the baby seats one would require the center seat belts.

Basically such a modification would require to fit the retractor, adjuster, brackets and the buckles for the seat-belt assembly.The mold of the existing seat will have to be modified to accommodate new seat belts.
Just in case you are successful with this mod, make sure you test it yourself before putting your baby in there. Safety first !!
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 19:10   #17
BHPian

I suggest not going to the company showrooms, but try outside authorized multibrand workshops like Carnation, Bosch Car Care etc. That would at least ensure that the work is done a bit more professionally. Just my opinion.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 21:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread razor !! This is one aspect of our cars, that we tend to neglect but should not.

Surprising but true - the seat belts on my 18 years old W124 still work like no other. Basically it is the rewind mechanism that goes for a toss. (I think) The germans put in good springs & other cars do not. Pathetic

Hope you get something from the after market, at reasonable cost !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 10:04   #19
BHPian

My old seatbelt buckle started coming out when I pull hard, so I greased the buckle and now it seems to work fine. Anything else I need to check? I am not very comfortable at the thought of the buckle coming out in case of an accident.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 10:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

The seatbelt retracting mechanism in my car,was not working properly,eversince i got the car back from accident repairs,and today it gave up completely
What are the parts,that would need replacement?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 12:10   #21
BHPian

Thanks a ton to all for the suggestions.

Riju, I will definitely test it (by applying sudden brake etc) before using it. Seems there is a lot of work and a better option is to get a newer car?

I didn't understand this... I thought the child seat can be fixed on any seat belt, and was planning to put it on the rear left seat. Why would we need belt on the centre seat (at the rear)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
For the baby seats one would require the center seat belts.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riju, I will definitely test it (by applying sudden brake etc) before using it. Seems there is a lot of work and a better option is to get a newer car?
To fix a baby seat buy a new car, first of its kind . No offense though, but I think you still can go on and do some research since this isn't next to impossible to achieve.

Quote:
I didn't understand this... I thought the child seat can be fixed on any seat belt, and was planning to put it on the rear left seat. Why would we need belt on the centre seat (at the rear)?
I was quoting an example keeping in mind my scorp's center seat. With our baby seat we have an option to buckle up the seat from the bottom also.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 15:29   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the child seat installed on the rear left seat of my car. You could basically install in whereever a belt and buckle is available. The rear center would not have a retractor, so the belt length would need to be kept to a minimum.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The seatbelt retracting mechanism in my car,was not working properly,eversince i got the car back from accident repairs,and today it gave up completely
What are the parts,that would need replacement?
Akshay,

If the car is relatively new, then its may be just a temporary block in the retracting motion. If you are a DIY type person, just open the side panel on the column and just observe where its is sticking up. Of course, you should read your service manual for instructions on how to take apart the panel for your car model.

If its an older one like 5-7 yrs, don't bother, the steel inside the retractor has rusted and given up. Keep 2k ready for replacement at your car dealer. Go with the ASC on this one. The retracting mechanism at the base of the column and new belt will be changed.

cheers

Last edited by longford : 22nd February 2011 at 16:46. Reason: clarity
longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 20:17   #25
BHPian

For your esteem vx rear seatbelts you will have to remove the rear seat first and see if there are anchor points for 2 or 2 + centre seat belt and then buy the seatbelts from maruti , just get the relevent part numbers and buy them and the fit is pretty much straight foreward . Get hold of esteem parts catalogue , it is available for sale at maruti . So even if maruti tells you it cannot be done you can buy the parts and get it fitted from outside . By the way I used rear left seatbelt in my alto as my euro II alto did not come with a centre belt . The seat could be fitted to centre or side seatbelt as said in its manual .
anky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 20:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Akshay,

If the car is relatively new, then its may be just a temporary block in the retracting motion. If you are a DIY type person, just open the side panel on the column and just observe where its is sticking up. Of course, you should read your service manual for instructions on how to take apart the panel for your car model.

If its an older one like 5-7 yrs, don't bother, the steel inside the retractor has rusted and given up. Keep 2k ready for replacement at your car dealer. Go with the ASC on this one. The retracting mechanism at the base of the column and new belt will be changed.

cheers
The car is 5 years old.
and it was fixed for 50 bucks.
and yeah new belt was for 2K bucks
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:54   #27
BHPian

Guys i am also very keen on installing rear seatbelt for my 2002 Palio S10.
Need to fit a child seat for my 1 year old baby.
Any suggestions like where i can get it and how much will it cost would very helpful.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 00:01   #28

Quote:
Need to fit seat belts on my 2001 Esteem VX rear seats. Originally, the car didn't come with rear seat belts.
Enquired at Surakshaa (MASS) and they said they do not do this work. They suggested me to try a well known workshop (chain) in south Bangalore which is well appreciated by team-bhp members as well. However, they too redirected me to Commercial street (the primary reason is because I want to install child seat for my 1.5 yr old) baby care shop. I am wary of doing this, since it is known that an improper install of a child seat is not safe.

Any pointers on who can help with installation of seat belts at the rear?

Jeep: any luck in retro-fitting the rear seatbelts? I too have an 2001 Esteem VX and need to retrofit rear seatbelts to fit a child seat. Looks like Bangalore has quite a few Esteem VX owners wanting to fit child seats.

which brand child seat did you get? and how well did it fit in your Esteem? My baby is set to arrive in about 4 weeks, so need to get the right one.
alphavictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 12:56   #29
BHPian

Hi alphavictor,

I am now managing with the child seat on the front passenger seat.
Got an 'evenflo' from Mom and me at a discounted price. However one cannot tilt it 'on the go'. It has only 2 positions - the normal upright one and the reclined one however to shift between the two one needs to remove it from the seat and put it back on.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Driver Side Seat Belt Lock - Zen

Hello All,

The driver side seat belt locking mechanism of my zen has failed. Hence, I cannot put the seat belt (unless there's no co-passenger and I use that lock). Last time i had got this changed from Spectra (for Co-driver) but they don't have it it stock. Some other service center want to loot me and say that I'll have to buy it for all the 5 seats as that its how it is sold my Maruti now (I don't believe them on this).

Where can i get it readily? I am travelling out of town tomorrow and need to fix it by EOD today.

Thanks!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote