Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th March 2008, 14:33   #1
BHPian

Default Left ORVM Damaged - Replacement?

Yesterday a truck brushed my Swift's Left ORVM because of which the cover on the outer side of the mirror came off but no damage is done to the mirror.
I checked with Spectra(Malad) and they say that I will have to change the whole ORVM which will cost 1.5K and insurance cannot be claimed.
Can someone suggest where can i get the left side cover of the ORVM.
remcy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 15:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is the cover completely broken? Like in pieces? If not, a jugad thing is to use a superglue and put it back on. We did it on a friend's Swift.

An alternate option is to check the freindly, neighborhood spare parts and accessories dealers. You will get the gray market stuff for half the price if you can land one. It works very well and does not cost much.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the reply..
When it came off I was on the highway, so i didnt bother to get down and pick it up as it was already into pieces..
I will try and see if I could get this from some local dealer..
BTW.. Is this covered under insurance ???

Last edited by remcy007 : 17th March 2008 at 15:52.
Old 17th March 2008, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcy007 View Post
BTW.. Is this covered under insurance ???
even if its covered under insurance you will only get 50% if the car is less than a year old

so no need to bother with claiming insurance

i would suggest a grey market one would cost around rs700
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 16:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

tell me something... why are you so steadfast on that insurance thing? its not worth it mate. even if the insurance co. agrees to play the game they will not pay more than 50% (plastic+glass). so we are already looking at something like 750 rupees only. on top of that most insurance cos. have a special charge (some call it access charge, others processing cost etc) which amounts to around 500 rupees for each claim. so? you are bothered about the 250 rupees? and you know what? you will loose all your accumulated NCB. so even if it is a new car (1st year) even then the next year's NCB amount of almost 2000-2500 will just go flying out of the window.

In summary - do not even bother about the insurance coverage for this breakage. go to an accessory shop and enquire the price. you will get it much cheaper that way.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 16:41   #6
BHPian

I am not certainly not going to claim insurance for this but my question was is this covered or not??
Spectra is saying its not covered but I think its covered.
Old 17th March 2008, 17:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this should be covered but being a plastic parts you would get only 50% & since the cost is less for a claim with respect to the hassle the *** guys would have to do he must have said that its no covered.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 17:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think this should be covered but being a plastic parts you would get only 50% & since the cost is less for a claim with respect to the hassle the *** guys would have to do he must have said that its no covered.
hmm.. thats what I was thinking...
nways.. Thanks to all for replying!!
Old 18th March 2008, 08:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcy007 View Post
I am not certainly not going to claim insurance for this but my question was is this covered or not??
Spectra is saying its not covered but I think its covered.
Plus, I'm giessing you would have to report it as an accident.

Will he need an FIR for the insurance claim?
simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 10:01   #10
BHPian

^ Sir ! A Truck has just broken my ORVM while driving !!! :( Please send in your special forces.

Nothing major, no FIR needed. Had my ORVM's hit many times in&out of the car. Mostly used glue, and twice got them from local shops. And as Zappo already mentioned, you lose precious NCB for a stupid 1k claim.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 14:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Insurance should cover it.

I've noticed at least 3-4 Swifts at workshops with the back cover of the ORVM broken. All of them had 'Slovakia' written on the inside cover. Are Swift ORVMS manufactured in Slovakia?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 14:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Yes am sure that insurance will cover it.

Here is why you don't want to do it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-premiums.html (ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!)
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 17:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

ORVM's are covered only 50% of the total cost as they are plastic parts.Have gone through it so I can say for surely.But it doesn't worth to claim just for the ORVM as the price is only 1.5k and your refund would be 750Rs and then after paying the processing charge of approx. 700 Rs you are left with only 50Rs and without NCB.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:25   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Left ORVM Damaged - Replacement?

Truck hit me on the left and broken the ORVM, I just have the mirror, rest of them fell down and couldn't get them. It was very slow moving traffic, but I just kept moving. Dealers ask 5K for the parts and 1K for painting and then may be labor plus taxes. Is there any other workshop near Chennai Madipakkam, Nanganallur to fix it cheaper than that? I don't care about neatness/beauty.

Attaching the image for reference. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Left ORVM Damaged - Replacement?-img_20160921_090829.jpg  

Left ORVM Damaged - Replacement?-img_20160921_090837.jpg  

carbhp is offline   Reply With Quote