Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 10:07   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Very very true, infact i still wonder why people convert to LPG kits whn lpg is not widely available, infact in all the places in delhi, i only know of two places where one can fill up LPG. Ofcourse there will always be people who use household cylinders illegally, but for production cars like Wagon R DUO etc, i really dont see the point. Cost of running on LPG at times goes over the cost of running on Diesel as fuel prices are at similar levels.
May be you can say it a marketing tactic or whatever but maruti marketing people know very well that how to play with Indian Janta Remember how they promoted Wagon R aka "Smart choice of Smart people" Though Duo Models are specifically for the states wherein LPG is widely available, but still indian janta is mad after having a alternate fuel option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Not necessarily. The TAP will kick in any range of RPMs between 1000-3000, depending upon the level to which timimg has been altered/retarded and the state of tune of the vehicle.
Usually a TAP has 3 setting modes, 1st and 2nd stage is mostly used and recommended. At 3rd stage the car will go bezirk and the level of retarded timing poses a threat to the engine...which might lead to a blow up.
Manual TAP aren't too much available after wide availability of Automatic CNG Kit. However, one can always get the same to have better control over the figures and boosting. By default the 1500 RPMs are settled in automatic TAP which can be altered any day at your choice of RPMs. TAP Settings are also a story of Manual TAP Only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Spot on Ashish! But that lag for 2-3 seconds will always persist due to the fuel changeover, irrespective of the RPM at which swithover takes place.
Not necessarily, this thing i have experienced personally where-in engine was getting shutted off when the Petrol Cut-off PRM was 1500 RPM i.e. Engine shifts to CNG once 1500 RPM is achieved and thereafter if accelerator is released the engine will shut off. The total time span between Petrol Cut-off and Engine shut off was around 1-1.5 Secs where RPM slowly starts decreasing, as accelerator is released. However, this thing was rectified by mere increasing the Petrol Cut-off RPM at 3000.

Again, there was a setting in lambda where-in it will cut-off CNG and shift to petrol if the RPM is increased more than 4000 i.e. Engine require more power to get a better pull and will cut-off petrol and shift to CNG if the RPMs are decreased then 4000. This setting was extremely helpful in high speeds where-in one is running at 140+ or so and requires more power. Still the amount of changeover within fuels was almost negligiable or say a few mili-seconds. in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
haha welcome abhik, phamilyman and ashthedivx after a long time.

in delhi its around 20 Rs.

I had instaled Lamda sensor, but car is getting detuned again and again, the CNG guy told me that its my Green Filter which is creating problem. Something wrong with the Filter or the lamda? I think i need to fit the stock airfilter and get it checked again.
Hey gangsta !!

Looks like the Lambda is the culprit one. Do get it checked after fitting Stock filter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi, Can someone please tell me what TAP Is, What it does etc?
Timing Advance Processor - It helps in advancing in timing of the CNG kit which further helps in effort-less running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
I got the timing advanced. Now the car responds nicely but the other problem i.e. no response immediately after conversion still persists. I went to another guy and he has promised to solve that too. Lets hope. I would also like to know which type of lamba is better, manual or automatic? I have automatic type with the present cng kit while I had manual type in the previous lpg kit.
Advance is always the better one

Cheers
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:37   #152
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Not ashthedivx i'm bloody lazy to visit hyundai service station. my fuel bills increased 4 times. Dingo ran my accent 1k KM in 1 week time only on petrol. Ouch my Petrol Bills. Now i will visit service station for stock air filter assembly fitment then again i will ask those guys to tune the lamda.

Last edited by Gangsta : 8th December 2008 at 10:40.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 22:57   #153
BHPian
 
drjanakpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: rajkot
Posts: 76
Thanked: 31 Times
Default as good as petrol

i have got done fine tuning of my baleno cng done. now it is running absolutely smoothly. now i cannot feel any difference as compared to petrol. the problem of rpm dropping immediately after conversion to gas has gone. it was due to faulty wiring of the TAP. and the lag which is used to feel below 1500 rpm is also not there. even at 1000rpm the pick up is as good as petrol. some of the guys on this forum commented that cng is not as good a fuel as compared to lpg but now i completely disagree. i think it is as good as petrol or even better if the tuning is perfect. at low rpms the engine used to knock in petrol but its not so in cng.
drjanakpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 20:47   #154
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default Update: Regarding Lambda Sensor

As per the guy who installed Lambda sensor in my Accent said i need to replace my green twin conical filter to the stock filter. I did that after a long lazy time of 6k KM.

2 min. tuning done using stock air filter and wow! superb results. Lambda sensors are not compatible with these performance airfilters. lol my babe is running on stock air-filter now.

The combination of lambda sensor and tap is really leathel. a killer combo is that no lag before tap kicks in. But something had changed now, my tap kicks in just before 2k rpm after lambda tuning, instead of 1500 rpm (when lambda was not installed).

It is smooth as if i'm running it on petrol and just before 2k rpm vroom vroom and after that aha! i like it.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 21:06   #155
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

See if you can get the conical replaced for a dtock replacement one(drop-in).
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 08:18   #156
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
See if you can get the conical replaced for a dtock replacement one(drop-in).
means stock replacement green filter? today i have to go to greater noida, i will check the top speed achieved on cng again. Last i did 180 on CNG on express way. it took long after 160 kmph to 180 kmph. lack of torque on cng. but let us see what will happen today as my baby crossed 1 lakh KM mark ODO.

I saw a superb change when the car cross 3.5k rpm. It goes insane, TAP is really doing the job complimented by LAMBDA. I never got such acceleration after 3.5K RPM when only TAP was installed. It goes wild man.

Last edited by Gangsta : 29th December 2008 at 08:34.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 08:40   #157
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

My ques is..

I wanna do experiment with the setting of lambda on my own. Any software available which can tweak the lambda for more boost of cng and air? dunno if it will be a right thing to do...
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:01   #158
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

gangsta you never get satisfied isnt it?? i really like your enthusiasm for making the car perform on cng
btw lets drag our cars someday on cng to check how good are our cng setups, wat say guys...a CNG meet :P
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:12   #159
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
gangsta you never get satisfied isnt it?? i really like your enthusiasm for making the car perform on cng
btw lets drag our cars someday on cng to check how good are our cng setups, wat say guys...a CNG meet :P
aha! good idea. lol touched 170 kmph again on cng. Bingo!!

haha ye i wanna have the best CNG car in Delhi. If not good enough to compare cars with big engines but the best in it's class. but mine is 1 lakh km old. dunno if it is good enough to compete other cars? the drag on totally empty road will do the trick.

BTW which cng car you have? lol i guess ashthedivx and abhik wanna join too. haha

Last edited by Gangsta : 29th December 2008 at 16:14.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:37   #160
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

i have a CNG 1.5 OHC which runs ok on CNG. what i really like about my current setup is that rpms are rock solid on cng and it behaves almost like petrol(not the pickup). However i would love to have more response in rpm band of 1000-3000 rpm. After 3K rpm the car picks up very well but before that car is slightly sluggish. I do have lamda and TAP installed.
And yes lets all meet up guys with our CNG cars. We can share lot of inputs and also checkout how different cars are behaving on cng. You have an accent, i have an OHC, abhik has an ikon, ashthedvix has an optra and someone can also bring in a baleno. So lots of diversified options are there!
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 18:45   #161
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
i have a CNG 1.5 OHC which runs ok on CNG. what i really like about my current setup is that rpms are rock solid on cng and it behaves almost like petrol(not the pickup). However i would love to have more response in rpm band of 1000-3000 rpm. After 3K rpm the car picks up very well but before that car is slightly sluggish. I do have lamda and TAP installed.
And yes lets all meet up guys with our CNG cars. We can share lot of inputs and also checkout how different cars are behaving on cng. You have an accent, i have an OHC, abhik has an ikon, ashthedvix has an optra and someone can also bring in a baleno. So lots of diversified options are there!
yes, they will be back to see this thread by evening and let us have a cng cars meetup. btw my car also behaves like this , after 3k rpm very good acceleration.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 00:35   #162
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Hi everyone, I am driving a Swift Vxi (done 55k) and SX4 (done 20k). I must admit that both the cars are hoot to drive. Though I even drive a Santro (Company fitted Landirenzo @60k) but that sucks. Swift has Tomasetto with TAP and SX4 is fitted with Lovato with TAP and Lambda. Apart from great pickup,good mid and top range, they also compliment with superb fuel efficiency, Which is approx. 250-300 km for Swift and 200-225 for SX4 (Both have 12kg cylinder) and max I got was close to 400km in Swift on NH1.
Now I am keen to install K & N filters (conical types with intake pipes) on both of them, also installed the same on my cousin's Xeta (again running on CNG) and it changed the car performance a LOT. But going by Gangsta logic doesn't appears to be really a good option.
@gangsta: Could it be possible that Green cone filter is not compatible or K & N is better with CNG, or maybe its Accent or your Lambda which might not be compatible, because I have read some previous thread where people are driving with performance filters with no problems at all. Please advise as I might go for the conversion tomm. itself.

As per CNG meet, count me on for it :-)
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 09:30   #163
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Hi everyone, I am driving a Swift Vxi (done 55k) and SX4 (done 20k). I must admit that both the cars are hoot to drive. Though I even drive a Santro (Company fitted Landirenzo @60k) but that sucks. Swift has Tomasetto with TAP and SX4 is fitted with Lovato with TAP and Lambda. Apart from great pickup,good mid and top range, they also compliment with superb fuel efficiency, Which is approx. 250-300 km for Swift and 200-225 for SX4 (Both have 12kg cylinder) and max I got was close to 400km in Swift on NH1.
Now I am keen to install K & N filters (conical types with intake pipes) on both of them, also installed the same on my cousin's Xeta (again running on CNG) and it changed the car performance a LOT. But going by Gangsta logic doesn't appears to be really a good option.
@gangsta: Could it be possible that Green cone filter is not compatible or K & N is better with CNG, or maybe its Accent or your Lambda which might not be compatible, because I have read some previous thread where people are driving with performance filters with no problems at all. Please advise as I might go for the conversion tomm. itself.

As per CNG meet, count me on for it :-)
lol you are getting a super mileage in your swift and sx4 , my friend's alto also don't give that much mileage on CNG (A slow driver).

Well..!! for the CNG meet you are most welcome for it mate

now coming on to the lambda in Accent first. In the month of feb, 2008 i had installed universal twin conical green filter and at that time i had cng installed in accent with no TAP. It's been a long time that i have cng installed in my accent and on that time no lambda or tap was available in the market to increase the performance of the car. then in 2 months or so , i don't remember how much time, i had installed TAP in accent and a kick after 1500 RPM... then also i had no problem with the car with green filter. Then the problem came, tuning was going out regularly because i'm a hard hitter of the gas (Infact I was). then again after lambda installation the tuning was going out then that guy asked me to change the air filter because he had a talk with the lambda dealers regarding this, they also told him that it may not be compatible with the performance airfilter. I changed the airfilter to the stock and it is working fine. It is running fine without any panga.

If it is working fine in your friend's car then may be this combo is not compatible. I don't know the technical reason Why it havnt worked with performance airfilters in my car? Also, my friend's OHC with the same green filter, lambda havnt worked in his car too. He had to change it to the stock.

Now coming up to the Performance airfilters in CNG cars. There is no use if you will install a performance airfilters. This is because of the fact that CNG uses less amount of air to burn unlike petrol. Performance airfilters are good for petrol where you need good amount of air while revving. I'm absolutly sure about it that it's just psychological and nothing else. I don't have headers and manifolds changed in my car, so again i don't think it will be a drastic change in the performance of the car unless you revv it hard, it will just make the car a bit of free revving. that's it. it also depends what type of headers and manifolds used by your friend. you can find it in some threads for exhaust on the forum. But Performance airfilters? Nah!! Guess what? Stock Airfilters infact the airfilter assembly is acting as a CAI. where is the intake opening for the stock airfilter assembly. You can get a hot air in performance airfilters as it is sucking air from the engine bay. You may go for Cold Air Intake. but that too no use for CNG cars just because of the fact cng needs less air. In short CNG is getting enough amount of air from stock airfilters and that too cold air, means much better performance. Simple Logic

now WHY THE HELL I HAD INSTALLED PERFORMANCE AIRFILTER WHEN I WAS RUNNING IT ON CNG?
1. i wanna do experiment.
2. I do have a frequent visits on highways and on highways, i need better revving.


my car is running better with stock airfilter on CNG. But i miss the petrol revv. This is a fact that if you will pull your car hard on petrol after 100 kmph - 160-170 kmph, performance airfilters do work much better than stock airfilters.

HELLO DELHI CNG GANG INTRESTED IN THE MEET?

Last edited by Gangsta : 30th December 2008 at 09:32.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 11:13   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

CNG meet.. sounds good to me as ? Try to get it meet done in day-time as at night we might not be able to checkout each others car and Saturdays prefrebbaly

Good to know gangsta you are getting better performance with stock filter. I was too much eager to install CAI, but somehow was stopped by arush.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 13:34   #165
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
CNG meet.. sounds good to me as ? Try to get it meet done in day-time as at night we might not be able to checkout each others car and Saturdays prefrebbaly

Good to know gangsta you are getting better performance with stock filter. I was too much eager to install CAI, but somehow was stopped by arush.
Arush gives genuine advice no doubt about it. lolz ofcourse day time and that too weekends. But i where to find empty roads in delhi. I guess noida surely have good empty open roads.

See, what i was thinking. I wanna have a good long empty stretch where we can do drags. I wont prefer a stand still drag because start may vary from person to person. how about this?

20-100 kmph
50-100 kmph
50-150 kmph
100-150 kmph
or something like this. because from this our car will drag, we all know how to redline it etc. etc. but standstill drag may vary from person to person.

what do you say guys?
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials? panky12345 Technical Stuff 5 20th May 2016 11:56
Wagon R LXI CNG Vs Wagon R VXI + CNG Kit ajay387 Hatchbacks 37 7th October 2013 22:54
Company Workhorse : New Eeco 5 seater CNG or Used Dzire + CNG kit? NMM What Car? 2 4th February 2013 19:29
Swift Lxi (CNG Fitted) vs Santro GLS (CNG) coolaxe Hatchbacks 18 28th June 2012 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks