Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 19:38   #196
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Sorry bro! But i did read what you wrote about it was just a friendly reminder/suggestion, thats it, not comments!
No issues bro. Chill and Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenik View Post
hey guys... reading the whole thread, really made me think!! i wanna get CNG on my swift too!!!
mine is givin a poor FE of 9kmpl... so m doomed~~!!!
any idea how much a CNG kit would cost???
CNG kit with 12 kg cyl for swift will cost you around 35-37k that's the price for delhi.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 20:47   #197
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Any updates on the roll-on tests you planned?
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 20:57   #198
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Any updates on the roll-on tests you planned?
nah! i havnt been to expressway since then. may be tomorrow or upcoming week.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 19:47   #199
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Still havnt been to expressway. lol

Now i have TAP + Lambda , getting very good performance. but wanna increase the performance more..

any more suggestions?
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 20:10   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Still havnt been to expressway. lol

Now i have TAP + Lambda , getting very good performance. but wanna increase the performance more..

any more suggestions?
Get a Stock Replacement K&N Filter... Got one, its worth every penny !!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 21:35   #201
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Get a Stock Replacement K&N Filter... Got one, its worth every penny !!
what difference u felt?
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 21:41   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Well car is breathing much better then that of before. Gears are much more responsive !!

By the way guys, anyone know one who has installed cng on automatic cars ??

Last edited by ashthedivx : 12th February 2009 at 21:43. Reason: adding comment
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 22:09   #203
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Well car is breathing much better then that of before. Gears are much more responsive !!

By the way guys, anyone know one who has installed cng on automatic cars ??
I heard that automatic cars do face problems sometimes and it needs a good tuner. Bad tuning will result in a lot of damage.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 10:47   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
I heard that automatic cars do face problems sometimes and it needs a good tuner. Bad tuning will result in a lot of damage.
How come a bad tuning can cause damage... it may decrease performance or spoil driving fun.. but no way it can cause damage. I have seen crvs running on CNG, so it should not be a problem theoretically.

A friend was interested in shifting his automatic Civic to CNG !!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 12:22   #205
BHPian
 
ask77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Agra
Posts: 143
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Get a Stock Replacement K&N Filter... Got one, its worth every penny !!
how much did it cost ? You have a Optra is it 1.8 or 1.6
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 02:31   #206
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
How come a bad tuning can cause damage... it may decrease performance or spoil driving fun.. but no way it can cause damage. I have seen crvs running on CNG, so it should not be a problem theoretically.

A friend was interested in shifting his automatic Civic to CNG !!
i said i heard in a forum abt issues but no technical reasons mentioned there too.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 09:49   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
how much did it cost ? You have a Optra is it 1.8 or 1.6

Mine Optra is 1.6 Lt one.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 22:05   #208
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Has anybody tried increasing compression ratio in CNG/LPG cars to benefit from higher octane rating?

We got a wagonR DUO recently and I'd like to try this on my car.

Also would like to know if it has an in-built TAP or do I need one?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 00:18   #209
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Has anybody tried increasing compression ratio in CNG/LPG cars to benefit from higher octane rating?

We got a wagonR DUO recently and I'd like to try this on my car.

Also would like to know if it has an in-built TAP or do I need one?
I was thinking of the same and also planned to increase CR of the 1.6ROCAM i had. But the cost for the same was too much as it would involve change of pistons as thats the only way i think increasing CR would be possible along with change of con-rods and reprofiled cams. I also thought about porting and polishing for the same.

For successfull performance gain from CNG the engine needs to be redesigned completely with higher CR like diesels and ECUs mapped accordingly and engine has to be built with a purpose of the main fuel being CNG, a piggyback/stand by mode in the ECU could handle petrol running.
Unfortunately CNG as fuel for automotive usage has not reached that stage as cost of production for a dedicated engine for CNG would be very high as a separate line would have to be made for production of these engine along with petrol and diesel counterparts.

I doubt that the DUO would have a TAP. It usually is an aftermarket fitment, it does'nt come with CNG kits.

@ashish - For an auto tranny the only doubt i have is the idling and rpm fluctuation problems especially if its a CVT since most fuctions of the ECU are eliminated once switched to CNG mode and Lamda would only control AFR. So i dont know how switching of gears and Throttle Position sensing would be regulated for the tranny.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by abhik : 15th February 2009 at 00:22.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 07:23   #210
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I was thinking of the same and also planned to increase CR of the 1.6ROCAM i had. But the cost for the same was too much as it would involve change of pistons as thats the only way i think increasing CR would be possible along with change of con-rods and reprofiled cams.
Theres no need for pistons or conrods. All you need to pulll the cylinder head and get it machined and put back. Should be done within 2 grand.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials? panky12345 Technical Stuff 5 20th May 2016 11:56
Wagon R LXI CNG Vs Wagon R VXI + CNG Kit ajay387 Hatchbacks 37 7th October 2013 22:54
Company Workhorse : New Eeco 5 seater CNG or Used Dzire + CNG kit? NMM What Car? 2 4th February 2013 19:29
Swift Lxi (CNG Fitted) vs Santro GLS (CNG) coolaxe Hatchbacks 18 28th June 2012 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks