Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 25th March 2008, 21:12   #1
BANNED

Default Stock replacement Filter for Civic

guys, need suggestions, to go in for a replacement filter for honda civic. i don't have much knowledge about this. i am planning to go in for K&N replacement filter. would replacing the stock one make any difference in performance or pick up in lower revs. pls advice, and would it void the warranty as the car is just under 6 months old.
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 21:21   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys, need suggestions, to go in for a replacement filter for honda civic. i don't have much knowledge about this. i am planning to go in for K&N replacement filter. would replacing the stock one make any difference in performance or pick up in lower revs. pls advice, and would it void the warranty as the car is just under 6 months old.
By itself, the filter won't make any noticeable difference. I have a K&N in my Civic. You can always remove it and replace the original when your car goes in for servicing. If you have a good rapport with the Service station manager / Works manager, it is really a very minor thing and will easily be overlooked.
Technically speaking, yes! your warranty will be void.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 12:02   #3

Has it made any difference in pick up / mileage ? any difference in performance ?
Lancer_vkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer_vkz View Post
Has it made any difference in pick up / mileage ? any difference in performance ?
I think the difference is more psychological than actual with regards to pick up; mileage, no!
Old 26th March 2008, 12:51   #5
BHPian

I also run a K&N replacement filter on my civic. No difference in performance or mileage. Just a feel good factor and a sticker at the back. I put back the original when I give for service. Whether recommended - I would say not worth spending so much on this as there is no perceptible difference. I sourced it from US, so got it at almost half the price in India.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 13:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK,stock replacement fiter's hardly make any noticable difference,I have it running in a 99'model OHC,complete waste of money bought it for 4200/- 6months ago:(
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rather than going for a "replacement" filter, I think just replacing the stock filter every 5000 KM will make a difference. For my NHC the stock air filter costs just Rs. 240. So not much of a dent to the pocket.

And when I asked the service guy (during one of my regular service), to clean the air filter with high pressure air pump, he said that the Honda training tells them not to do this as the high pressure air will destroy the paper fabric and block the super fine micro perforations thus proving couter-productive.

This forced me to think that there is probably no effective way to clean the stock air filter...just replace!

What say guys?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 16:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

This forced me to think that there is probably no effective way to clean the stock air filter...just replace!

What say guys?
That is one of the only benefits of a stock replacement filter; you can clean it. Auto companies will always have these little things to make extra cash!
Old 26th March 2008, 17:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I think the difference is more psychological than actual with regards to pick up; mileage, no!
I second that. The only advantage that these filters have is that they are long lasting(a lifespan of 1lac kms) and thus spares you from changing the air filters from time-to-time. I have a Green Cotton replacement filter in my Fiesta, and just because i have spent something like 5k on it i am happy with it.
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 17:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

In a average car life span of 4-5years i dont think you change more than 6-8 air-filters i.e. Rs.250 x 8 = 2000/-,if difference cant be felt then what the use of spending 3k more on after market stock replacement filters.. I absolutely dont know if the difference is felt with the CAI????if we replace it from the stock filter fittings,without any FFE installed.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 18:39   #11
BANNED

The latest generation Honda civic engines are designed in such a way that not much can be done to improve it's performance unless a lot of hard earned green is spent on it. Even then, the difference wouldn't be very rewarding.
A small upgrade/change of stock filter won't show up any difference in performance. Would be better off staying with the stock filter and use that 5k+ in some good engine protectant/oil etc....
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 20:58   #12

Well I just got a KN today for my '08 civic. Cant make out any difference and couldnt even find a good place to put that sticker since my car is black.
Lancer_vkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 08:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer_vkz View Post
Well I just got a KN today for my '08 civic. Cant make out any difference and couldnt even find a good place to put that sticker since my car is black.
Put the sticker just below where the i-Vtec is written. Thats where I have put mine. Would look good on a black Civic. (Sigh, at least let people know we are running a performance filter)
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote