Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 10:47   #751
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

At last, i got Apollo Amazer XL 145/70 R12 (with tube) on all 4 wheels yesterday.
That was a drastic improvement in the ride quality & braking from the worn-out MRFs.
Im happy now
I also considered the Michelins & Bridgestones, but the Apollos were the best deal. Settled at Rs. 2450/- Per Tyre.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 11:07   #752
BHPian
 
jp2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 228
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Some one please guide me where to get the following fixed in my ALTO. Chennai

  • Sports Steering Wheel + Gear knob
  • Side mirrors internally adjustable
jp2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 23:36   #753
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

The internally adjustable mirrors should be available at Maruti Service centers, ask for the VXi mirrors.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 21:34   #754
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 877 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Some one please guide me where to get the following fixed in my ALTO. Chennai
  • Sports Steering Wheel + Gear knob
  • Side mirrors internally adjustable
#1 has to be done outside MASS - I have no idea.

#2 is very much available at MSM.
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 15:25   #755
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: Smoked Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I finally smoked the tail lights of my Alto yesterday. Used a can of VHT NightShades which someone had brought for me from the US. I'm sure you can find a can of it somewhere in India but I could'nt!

Here are some before and After pics:
blackouting your tailights, arent you playing with the safety?

your tailights are actually becoming more darker at night and people coming from behind cant see them properly!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 20:09   #756
BHPian
 
Foxbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 300
Thanked: 395 Times
Default Re: Smoked Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
blackouting your tailights, arent you playing with the safety?

your tailights are actually becoming more darker at night and people coming from behind cant see them properly!
Feels strange replying to a 1.5 year old post but......

The difference in minimal at night. The paint used is not the normal spray paint but a special translucent one.

In the day, especially in direct sunlight, the smoked taillights are visible much more as apparent from the pics.

Last edited by Foxbat : 11th September 2011 at 20:11.
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 22:49   #757
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: Smoked Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Feels strange replying to a 1.5 year old post but......

The difference in minimal at night. The paint used is not the normal spray paint but a special translucent one.

In the day, especially in direct sunlight, the smoked taillights are visible much more as apparent from the pics.
the taillights are meant to be RED in colour to depict the rear of the vehicle!

anyway the rules and laws in india are not to be bothered about!

anyway enjoy the blacked out taillights!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 18:10   #758
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Hello everyone. Have been scooting around this thread for a long time, and each post I read just seems to give all sorts of different ideas.
The major problem with me is that I am from Goa, and I am yet to find any proper accessories shops or performance shops in Goa that have proper knowledge of modifications/upgrades and can do a good job about it.

Anyone who knows a proper place in Goa (especially Margao/Panjim), please let me know.

The other issue is, I drive an Alto VXi 1.1 2003, 63k on the odo. I am looking for performance upgrades now, and as I understand, the stuff to begin with is a K&N air filter, an FFE, and a CAI probably. I don't really understand the intricacies of all this yet, and am really in need of some advice from all petrol heads out here.

Following are some of my queries:

1. Are all such mods specific to the petrol engine only? What I mean here is, I am planning of installing a sequential LPG kit in a few months time, and would just like to know whether there would be any issues with any of the above mentioned mods, or is it that they just do not make any difference whether its running off petrol or LPG.

2. When I look for a K&N, what exactly should I ask for? A universal one or a conical one? I tried searching on the K&N site, but couldn't find anything specific to the Alto. Also, I read in the one the posts on this thread, there is something like an intake attached to the filter. Maybe I just interpreted it the wrong way, or is there really anything of this sort?

3. I tried reading up on the FFE, but couldn't really understand it. What exactly does it do, (if anyone could give some proper links, that would be great!!), and what am I actually looking for when I go to get one installed?

4. There are not really many mentions of a CAI on this thread. Is it not a very good upgrade option for an alto? Also, I read on another thread that someone took off their CAI kit during the monsoon because they didn't want their car sucking in water. What's this all about?

Sorry if some of the questions are stupid, but I am not very well versed with this stuff yet, (still learning you see), and any help in this regard that can instruct me properly with modding my Alto would be absolutely great!! Thanks a lot.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 19:08   #759
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

1. Are all such mods specific to the petrol engine only?
You can install the mods as long as you don't do a diesel engine transplant in your Alto

2. I tried searching on the K&N site, but couldn't find anything specific to the Alto.
Because there isn't one. There are only universal ones available & are not exactly up to specs with the Alto. So, they are a cause of problems.

3. I tried reading up on the FFE, but couldn't really understand it.
It provides a free'er' passage for the exhaust air to go out & a nice vroom sound. At most, it may provide a wee bit increase in the performance but at the cost of Fuel efficiency.

4. There are not really many mentions of a CAI on this thread. Is it not a very good upgrade option for an Alto? Also, I read on another thread that someone took off their CAI kit during the monsoon because they didn't want their car sucking in water. What's this all about?

CAI is usually mounted as low as possible to get in as cool air as possible.Not good for an Alto if reliability is your concern.
Performance modding an Alto robs it of Fuel efficiency.The 1.1VX comes in the dreams of us 800cc owners. It has the performance that is just 90% matched by the K10. Why do you want to performance mod a Factory shipped pocket rocket?
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 20:58   #760
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Performance modding an Alto robs it of Fuel efficiency.The 1.1VX comes in the dreams of us 800cc owners. It has the performance that is just 90% matched by the K10. Why do you want to performance mod a Factory shipped pocket rocket?
Well what I am really looking for is some nominal BHP gain, and increase in FE. The K&N can probably help me in that matter, right? Would you elaborate on what kind of problems I am looking at if I install one?

Also, what about a tyre upgrade? I am riding the stock 145/80 R12. Considering an upsize to maybe 155 or 165, and probably also a set of alloys..
Thanks..

Last edited by swarnava.m : 6th November 2011 at 21:00.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 00:15   #761
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Well what I am really looking for is some nominal BHP gain, and increase in FE. ...
A universal K&N won't help the FE. There is no BHP gain as such, just that the car responds a bit better to accelerator input because of increased airflow in the intake side. The added sound gives the illusion of more HP.

A universal K&N will allow passage of fine dust into your intake manifold & will damage the inlet ports/valves in the long run (seen personally in an Alto 800cc)

Getting a nice set of alloys is a good propositon. Personally, I like the alloys on bhpian SAS's Alto. Regarding tyre sizes, I haven't actually put 13 inchers due to fear of scraping the wheel wells, though 155 65 R13 is the recommended upsize for the Alto.

Last edited by JustCause : 7th November 2011 at 00:17.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 00:34   #762
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
A universal K&N won't help the FE. There is no BHP gain as such, just that the car responds a bit better to accelerator input because of increased airflow in the intake side. The added sound gives the illusion of more HP.

A universal K&N will allow passage of fine dust into your intake manifold & will damage the inlet ports/valves in the long run (seen personally in an Alto 800cc)
Thanks a lot, that's really useful advice.

Well what about a conical one then? I did inquire about it in a shop, and what he told me after looking into his catalog was "Sir you want a K&N filter for your Alto? That will cost Rs.3290". He wasn't able to give me a model number or any specifications though.

Any idea what he might have been talking about?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:12   #763
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Any idea what he might have been talking about?
This is the stock replacement filter that fits into your existing airbox replacing your original air filter. The conical one is the universal one & causes problems. If you are looking at stock replacements, try Cosworth also. I've been using their air filter & found it to be more efficient than the stock filter & it is washable & reusable also. The only downside to these filters is the cost, which is ~3500Rs.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:19   #764
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 877 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
The only downside to these filters is the cost, which is ~3500Rs.
The real downside is the dust they allow inside the engine. Increased airflow = increased dust as well. There are no two ways about it. The best ones are the stock paper air filters or the same type (of a superior brand), if it fits.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:30   #765
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
This is the stock replacement filter that fits into your existing airbox replacing your original air filter. The conical one is the universal one & causes problems. If you are looking at stock replacements, try Cosworth also. I've been using their air filter & found it to be more efficient than the stock filter & it is washable & reusable also. The only downside to these filters is the cost, which is ~3500Rs.
Okay, well what it sounds like here is that since the only advantage of getting a stock replacement filter is that it is has a higher life. In that case its probably best not trying to mess with what is already factory fitted and working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The real downside is the dust they allow inside the engine. Increased airflow = increased dust as well. There are no two ways about it. The best ones are the stock paper air filters or the same type (of a superior brand), if it fits.
Alright, but in that the case the question that comes to mind is, if [increased airflow=increased dust], then why is there such a major popularity for K&N filters? I mean isn't this disadvantage applicable for all the cars that use a K&N? Or is it something just specific to the engine of an Alto or some certain hatches? I don't think that makes much sense..
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding a Tempo Trax VooDoo Modifications & Accessories 24 25th March 2009 18:51
guys from Bangalore help me (modding accessories) samybravo Motorbikes 3 12th August 2008 15:35
modding the heavens out from esteem veyron1 Modifications & Accessories 30 21st December 2007 16:07
Car Modding in Cochin? psynaps3 Modifications & Accessories 17 9th April 2006 21:57
buying a Zen for modding zen-ith Modifications & Accessories 25 27th February 2006 12:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks