Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd June 2012, 12:07   #826
BHPian

Default Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You car looks smart. I appreciate you keeping it scratch free being you daily ride. The roof rails are adopted from a Wagon-R i suppose. Makes it look like a baleno from front at a distance.
And is there any improvement with the K&N air intake? I mean just the K&N (without the FFE)?
Thanks a lot kkVaidya. This was my first car in India (but my 5th overall) and i had purchased it as a used vehicle in 2007 with 6086 kms on the clock. Regarding your observation about the car being "scratch free" its because im extremely finicky about the presence of scratches on my vehicle and i get it painted anytime i notice a scratch or two. Trust me its not easy keeping a car scratch free with the driving conditions that we encounter in India. The car had about 18,000 kms on the clock when the video was shot. I had taken a lot of pride in trying to modify my alto to a certain extent. I had envisaged a body kit (modified front/rear bumpers, side skirts etc) but i decided against it because of the loss of money that might entail in the event of an accident not to mention the inablility to replicate the same body kit again (i live in a small town in AP and its tough to source quality body kits etc). The fact that I had a bitter experience in Australia with my Toyota Celica (modified with body kit etc) which was involved in a fender bender where in i was unable to repair/replicate the same body kit and the only option left was to rip it apart from the car ..also deterred me from going for a body kit for the Alto. You are right about the roof rails. Regarding the K&N air filter it was a K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake system that i had installed. I had'nt actually timed the Alto after installing the K&N air intake but the car felt faster and in fact after the addition of the Free Flow Exhaust it was a totally different car. I can vouch for the fact that my Alto was as fast as if not faster than the Alto K-10. I had actually gone to the showroom and test driven the Alto K-10 under the pre-text of wanting to purchase it and put it to a gruelling test but i felt that my modified Alto was quicker off the blocks than the K-10 and had a lot of punch to it as well. I forgot to mention that i had also changed the stock spark plugs and installed NGK Iridium spark plugs.
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 00:58   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
The one on the A-Star or Swift looks more sporty and comes around 2000k I guess. Thinking of getting one myself if it would be a direct fit.
Can anyone confirm if the Swift Zxi Steering will be a direct fit on the ALTO Lxi? If yes, then two question:-

i) will this affect the driveability of the car adversely?
ii) can the volume control buttons on the steering be used with my aftermarket Pioneer 7950UB?
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-new_maruti_swift_2012.jpg  

Last edited by sabret00the : 9th July 2012 at 01:00.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 01:07   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey all, got the front two door power windows installed in my car today. Oh, I was excited like a child & ended up playing quite a bit with the windows throughout the day.
Please provide more details such as brand and price?

Mods:- Accidental double post - please merge with my previous post. Thanks

Last edited by sabret00the : 9th July 2012 at 01:08. Reason: Accidental Double post
Old 9th July 2012, 18:59   #829
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy,

I am sorry but I have sold the car & gave away all papers etc along with it. I tried recalling the name of the company but sadly couldn't think of the name.

I will send you a PM in case I remember it.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Please provide more details such as brand and price?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 12:39   #830
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Post Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Please provide more details such as brand and price ?
I think both AutoCop & Xenos have power window kits that can be fixed in the Alto - they cost anywhere from 4K to 6K.

You also get a power window kit for the Alto from Maruti itself - part number is 99000M99443-001 & costs ~6K.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 13:02   #831
BHPian

This is For IM_srini,and the other alto nuts on this forum.

I need help with a suspension upgrade on my k 10.

1. which of the spax lowering kits would be compatible with the alto k 10?
2. dampers which would work with the 40 mm drop. i know the stock one's will eventually die.
3. any place i could get an up rated anti roll bar for the front.
4. This is my biggest problem. finding 165/55 R14 sized tires.

i would appreciate all the help and inputs.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 19:22   #832
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Post Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
This is for im_srini,and the other Alto nuts on this forum.
I need help with a suspension upgrade on my K10
1. Which of the Spax lowering kits would be compatible with the alto K10 ?
2. Dampers which would work with the 40 mm drop. I know the stock one's will eventually die
3. Any place I could get an uprated anti-roll bar for the front
4. This is my biggest problem. finding 165/55 R14 sized tires
I would appreciate all the help and inputs.
Hi Monster, unfortunately the car we've chosen isn't one that's a popular choice when it comes to modding. Parts meant for the car we know as the Alto (JDM model HA12/22) were available from Suzuki-Sport, but they aren't in the market anymore (I think they've become Monster-Sport now). Last I heard from them, they did not have any parts for "our" Alto in stock, & weren't making any new ones too. Regarding your queries, please note that I'm speaking more from the perspective of a 2000 Alto 1.1 (F10D) than the K10.

1. Which of the Spax lowering kits would be compatible with the Alto K10 ?

You'll find Spax & other manufacturers making lowering springs for Altos. You best bet are springs meant for the 2002 (or 2003) to 2009 Altos. 2003 is when (I think) the Alto we know of was sold in Europe as the Alto GL. Springs sold for 1996 to 2002 Altos refer to our Zen. I'm not sure if the springs for our regular Alto & the K10 are the same - I should be able to provide more clarity once I get my hands on the parts catalog for the Alto K10. The table below lists the dimensions of the stock springs (MGP) used in the Altos sold here (specifically the Alto 1.1).

Modding an Alto-alto_f10d_springs.png

The following is an excerpt from a 2008 email reply I got from Spax regarding their springs for the Alto - "...the S037001 (for Alto) is for the 82-95 car and the S037000 (also for Alto) is for the 96-car with an EF chassis. As for the S037009 (for Wagon-R) and S037011 (also for Wagon-R) as far as I know the chassis are different".

There's this Australian company that makes custom springs called K-Mac [ http://www.k-mac.com/pages/springs/springs.htm ] (read about them in an Auto-Speed article). Tried contacting them but they took months to respond, so it didn't go anywhere. The springs are relatively inexpensive, but the shipping charges are very high.

If you're a very patient person, you can try Monster-Sport (erstwhile Suzuki-Sport), this is a URL [ http://www.monster-sport.com/e/car/altoworks.html ] they'd sent me in 2011 pointing to performance products for the Alto. Please note that these parts are for the JDM Alto which runs a completely different engine (K6) than the one that's used here.

2. Dampers which would work with the 40 mm drop. I know the stock one's will eventually die

Stiffer dampers, which are good, are difficult to find for the Alto. Pedders (AUS) do have good dampers for small Suzukis, particularly the Zen & Wagon-R. I'm running Pedders Black-Gas dampers in my Alto - I got them from Electra, Chennai, & I was told they're 40% stiffer than stock (I've not verified this claim using a shock-dyno). These dampers are actually meant for the Zen, but apparently they're a straight fit onto the Alto.

3. Any place I could get an uprated anti-roll bar for the front

The Australian company mentioned above does make custom anti-sway bars too. But I think it would be cheaper to simply have one fabricated locally of the right material & thickness. Even moving the mounting point backwards (towards the firewall) should help since stiffness of a sway-bar is dependent on the length of the radius arms, radius of the bar (to the 4th power), & stiffness of the material itself.

4. This is my biggest problem. finding 165/55 R14 sized tires

Yes, 165/55R14 tires are a perfect upsize, however this profile is not a very popular one. Advan AD-07 & AD-08 are available in this size & actually quite popular in Malaysia for the Perodua-Kelisa. I did contact Falken (Stamford) & Yokohama for this size - but both replied that this size isn't imported into India. I bought 5 Advan-Neova tires from a Malaysian guy who was advertising in one of the Perodua forums, however our customs here confiscated them when they arrived here ! Your best bet is to get tire sizes that are available locally like 175/60R14 (Yoko C-Drive), however they would be outside the recommended over-size limit (5% ?), so you might have to flare the fenders & roll the fender lips - for 13" rims, you'll have many more options.

Modding an Alto-alto_k10b_tires.png

Hope this was useful...

Last edited by im_srini : 30th November 2012 at 19:26.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 02:09   #833
BHPian

What is the best upgrade size Tyre for the ALTO 800 on stock 12" rims & on 13" K10 rims?
Old 10th December 2012, 11:24   #834
BHPian

Srini, thanks for the info.

i'm going to look into the peddar black gas struts, my k 10 has run 55k km"s and it's time to swap out the suspension. would a 185/50 R14 work with an alto? The dimensions seem close in tolerance with the 165/55's and i think these would be easier to source (maxxis).

getting the fenders flared and pulled should not be an issue, will get that done.

Also, swapped out the projectors on my K10, with 3", dual halo ring projectors. They have a nice colorful cutoff and great illumination. Just have to get them focussed in a few days.

Modding an Alto-1.jpg

Modding an Alto-2.jpg

Last edited by lilMonSter : 10th December 2012 at 11:30.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:13   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
the fenders flared and pulled should not be an issue, will get that done.

Also, swapped out the projectors on my K10, with 3", dual halo ring projectors. They have a nice colorful cutoff and great illumination. Just have to get them focussed in a few days.

Attachment 1025455

Attachment 1025456
The projectors look very good.

What is the cost and which make are they ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 12:17   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The projectors look very good.

What is the cost and which make are they ?
Thanks F150, I dont know about the make, i think they are made in china or taiwan. i payed 8500 for them. did not have to pay for installation.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:58   #837
BHPian

Quote:
What is the best upgrade size Tyre for the ALTO 800 on stock 12" rims & on 13" K10 rims?
hey bro, if you have a look at Srini's post below, there is a chart which shows all the tyre sizes compatible with the alto. 12", 13" and 14". hope this helps.

If you are not planning to change your rims i would recommend sticking to the stock size and going for better quality rubber.

12" stock is 145/80 R12 (alto F8D)
13" stock is 155/65 R13 (Alto K10)
Old 12th March 2013, 00:28   #838
BHPian

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the alto k10 electronic ignition system. i"m trying to run an additional tacho and have no clue where to take the signal from.

All the wiring has been done except for hooking it up to read a signal. All the help will be appreciated.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:16   #839
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I got a pair of Fog Lamps for my 2011 Alto Lxi. I would like to get inputs from fellow BHPians who could guide me with a reliable source where I can get them fitted onto my Alto.

Here is the pic of the Lamps I have got.
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-fog-lamps-new.jpg  

Arvind6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 09:44   #840
BHPian

Friends from Chennai,

Could anyone please help me with any of the MASS reference or reliable electrician who could get me the job done in a neat way?
Arvind6488 is offline   Reply With Quote