Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:27   #31
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
dessertking-the bucket seats i'm using is of the new ambassador,its a perfect fit[regarding the seat height too].i'm using a 15 inch wheel, with 255/70/15 goodyear wrangler tyres.theres a 540 in my town with 275/16 so i dont think tyre size would be an issue,make sure u have power steering.
Yes, we are fitting a power streeing of KOYO make. My machanic has already fitted the same on saveral Short Mahindra and it works fine.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:22   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

@DessertKing: I would advise you to get sound mechanical knowledge before getting the snorkel intake,etc.
A bad snorkel job and deep fording would end in a blown engine.
So, take it slow and steady from here.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:03   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
MRF Sandgrip are nylon (non-radial) tyres.
I've driven these tyres on the most hardcore off-roading surfaces. I can't comment on the grip.But,very very tough!
Sandgrips are Ok off road tyres..good for Sand..thats all.. You want good offroad tyres, go for 7.50 x 16. In case you want radials, I'd recommend 235/75 R16 Michelin AT-Xs or 265/75 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@maxbhp- real jeeps have round headlights
All jeeps have round headlamps, atleast in India..


Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
I prefer to go for redial tyres so they can absorbe the shocks to some extend. Can you please advice me some good redials for all terrain. I prefer to have a bit broader tyres (perhaps 215 75 R-16, 235 75 R-16 or even 265 75 R-16).
refer my post above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The oil systems in our cars are not that good, the pistons are cooled by splash oiling by the crank . If one can get the temperature of the oil lower than what the company limit is,
Can you elaborate? Company designs for optimal use..going lower will be thermally inefficient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
Can you please explain a little bit more that how can we design a spacer. Also what does PCD means.

Thank you
PCD - means Pitch Circle Diameter. It is not advise to design your own spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The army version comes with broader 16 inch rims since they run 7.5 x 16 tires. If your jeep doesn't have that you should be able to pick it up from the same place where they dismantle the old army jeeps. You should be able to mount 235's on that rim. These rims are different from the very narrow OEM rims. I have 205 on the OEM rims but I doubt it will take anything more than that as it is only 4.5 inches wide.
All jeeps and MM540s come with 16 inch RIMS


Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
Yes, we are fitting a power streeing of KOYO make. My machanic has already fitted the same on saveral Short Mahindra and it works fine.
Power Steering is a NO no for Jeeps, especially if you want to take it off road. Its just a waste of money, spend it on some other more useful stuff like LSD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@DessertKing: I would advise you to get sound mechanical knowledge before getting the snorkel intake,etc.
A bad snorkel job and deep fording would end in a blown engine.
So, take it slow and steady from here.

He is right. And you dont need a snorkel in a 540 apart from looks department!


My suggestion would be:

1. Spend money on getting yourself a nice set of 5 7.50x16 NDMS tyres. The jeep looks hot with it and performs well too.

2. Get your jeep converted to a soft top, if not already one.

3. Get a pucca working 4wd tranny and keep all joints well lubricated.

You will have an amazing jeep that WILL outperform most vehicles.

If you want one for looks only, then

1. screw up the body, lights, bonnet, snorkel etc etc, to make it look like from the moon.

2. Put 265/70 R16 tyres - Hankook or any other cheap brand that has white sidewall letter markings. Beware, these tyres do not perform.

3. Have a wolf horn installed in addition to the existing one. ALso, you can set your fuel pump to give you BLACK smoke when you accelarate so the guy coming behind curses you as he cant see a thing..But you'll be cool James bond Style!

4. Have a "ding chak" ICE installed.

5. Have a GPS that talks to you every two minutes

Well, there is so much one can do to make it look hot..so please decide whether you want a looker or a performer!

Finally, congrats on your buy! Welcome to the Mahindra family!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,973
Thanked: 2,496 Times
Default

Headers,

I know all jeeps (except bolero models) come with 16 inch tires . i was referring to wider rims on the army jeeps as in 5.5 inch wide as opposed to the standard 4.5 inch wide rims on the 540.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:52   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

the oiling system in M&s is a basic design, it's ok for onroad use, where the crank speeds are high not when the crank, in fact even at high speed the engine tend to get hot [ not in the sense overheated]. But if the temperature of the oil can be reduced even by say 2degrees, there will be a big difference in engine performance as well as less fatigue in moving parts.
Thats why most of the off roads [hard core not,the urban ]and high performance cars have this type of cooling for engine oil, in fact some also have diff and gear oil cooler.
And thats why even M&M is giving it on the army vehicles. It not put on most of the vehicles for cost related reason.
Also the mechanical fan on the radiator is a cost cutting, I had an electric fan on MY Jeep, and the temperature could be maintained even at crawling speed [ and stop and go traffic].
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:34   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
the oiling system in M&s is a basic design, it's ok for onroad use, where the crank speeds are high not when the crank, in fact even at high speed the engine tend to get hot [ not in the sense overheated]. But if the temperature of the oil can be reduced even by say 2degrees, there will be a big difference in engine performance as well as less fatigue in moving parts.
Thats why most of the off roads [hard core not,the urban ]and high performance cars have this type of cooling for engine oil, in fact some also have diff and gear oil cooler.
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Also the mechanical fan on the radiator is a cost cutting, I had an electric fan on MY Jeep, and the temperature could be maintained even at crawling speed [ and stop and go traffic].

I've had and still have both on my gypsy..its not cost cutting..its related to design of the vehicles.. The vehicle we are talking about is a 60s design tractor engine still used by us all because of its marked simplicity and ruggedness!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 19:22   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thanks for the input!

I've had and still have both on my gypsy..its not cost cutting..its related to design of the vehicles.. The vehicle we are talking about is a 60s design tractor engine still used by us all because of its marked simplicity and ruggedness!

Gypsy is a petrol engined they do not run that hot[comparatively] even the bigger engined JONGAs did not have oil cooler, I am talking about the diesel M&Ms [army spec]and GURKHAs both are really expensive cause they have great stuff on them . Will give you some egs: Scropio has the same tractor engine but it has great stuff on it= cost of the vehicle, same vehicle with DI engine [M2DI] =less price for the same body style less equipment. Same goes with SUMO, two engines, price difference between turbo IDI engine and the DI engine.
The systems like an electric fan will take up the price, same way oil cooler with extra plumbing will take up the price.
People who buy these JEEPs, majority do not buy them for their offraod capabilities but for the price. Very few people really want to use it for what it was made [very very small crowd] and so these system are not used by the company.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:49   #38
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Gurus need your advice. There three kind of differentials are available which can be fitted in MM540, their ratio are as follows..

5.38 : 1
4.56 : 1
4.27 : 1

Right now my jeep has 5.38 : 1 and I want to know your advice on changing it to 4.27:1. I am going to have only one vehicle which most of the time on road driven, yes on holidays I may go to the desert side.

Can you please post your comments on this change.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:22   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,712
Thanked: 89,050 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
Gurus need your advice. There three kind of differentials are available which can be fitted in MM540, their ratio are as follows..

5.38 : 1
4.56 : 1
4.27 : 1

Right now my jeep has 5.38 : 1 and I want to know your advice on changing it to 4.27:1. I am going to have only one vehicle which most of the time on road driven, yes on holidays I may go to the desert side.

Can you please post your comments on this change.
My Classics gearing was too low for the highway, I had changed the diff ratio to 4.27 (99% sure). That made a huge difference to highway performance and cruising at 80 / 90 kph.

You have the XD3P 2.5, correct? If its the 4 speed gearbox, I'd still go with the 4.27 only. Lets wait for headers / Arkas thoughts on this.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:17   #40
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Since my jeep is 4x4, pls advice if I need to change the front diffrential (of the same ratio)..
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:45   #41
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You have the XD3P 2.5, correct? If its the 4 speed gearbox, I'd still go with the 4.27 only. Lets wait for headers / Arkas thoughts on this.
Yes, I have a XD3P 2.5 Ltr with 4 speed gearbox. I will wait for comments of headers / Arkas.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:09   #42
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Well, there is so much one can do to make it look hot..so please decide whether you want a looker or a performer!
My dream machine is a good performer and a hot looker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
And you dont need a snorkel in a 540 apart from looks department!
Yes, I need it mainly for the look, I love its look and I really want to have one in my dream machine. I want so simply join it with the air cleaner inlet. I will take care to maintain the dia of the snoker so NO lost of air flow. Can someone help is designing it (i just need a right design).

Is it correct that if the jeep is driven in above 2.5 feet water, there are chances that the water enters into the air cleaner and than the engine and the snoker prevents it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
dessertking-the bucket seats i'm using is of the new ambassador,its a perfect fit[regarding the seat height too].
Thanks, I will try to have the same seats. Can you please advice how much did they cost you. Did you buy them used or brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Headers,

I know all jeeps (except bolero models) come with 16 inch tires . i was referring to wider rims on the army jeeps as in 5.5 inch wide as opposed to the standard 4.5 inch wide rims on the 540.
I am in DELHI on this Saturday, I will buy them for sure from there.

============================================
Apart from the above, I want to give a similar look of Wrangler. Can somebody advice me more on the fancy things and body modification. If somebody already done some kind of changes, I would like to know them.

THANKS TO ALL WHO IS SHARING THEIR VIEW TO MAKE MY DREAMS COME TRUE.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:53   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

If you will be using this vehicle on the road for most of the time, it's a good idea going down in ratio. But the off road capability will be reduced. In fact try getting your hands on the 5 speed box. You'll have fun on the road.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 11:41   #44
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
If you will be using this vehicle on the road for most of the time, it's a good idea going down in ratio. But the off road capability will be reduced. In fact try getting your hands on the 5 speed box. You'll have fun on the road.
My jeep is 4x4 so it is very heard to find one from the aftermarket. Also I do not drive on very high speeds, so due these both I will not prefer to spend Money on it.

Not to compromise too much with the offroad capebilities, I think I should opt just the next ratio which is aprox 15% low.

Just for my information, do you think that it will increase the mileage also.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 11:49   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
My jeep is 4x4 so it is very heard to find one from the aftermarket. Also I do not drive on very high speeds, so due these both I will not prefer to spend Money on it.

Not to compromise too much with the offroad capebilities, I think I should opt just the next ratio which is aprox 15% low.

Just for my information, do you think that it will increase the mileage also.

The 5 speed BA10 gearboxes are good for the XD3P engine if you can lay your hands on one..

Yes the mileage will increase with the lower ratios.. but off road capability will decrease!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MM540 2wd to MM540 4wd and Restoration Rajith 4x4 Vehicles 48 1st October 2015 23:45
Converting Old model Maruti 800 into LPG vinfriend Hatchbacks 15 28th October 2012 18:49
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD? DHABHAR.BEHRAM 4x4 Vehicles 299 7th January 2010 13:02
Mod : Converting a 500 SEC into a SLR. v12 Modifications & Accessories 14 1st July 2006 13:11
Idea for converting very useful and much rated threads into PDF file AGP The Indian Car Scene 2 15th September 2005 12:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks