Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 31st March 2008, 00:33   #1

Post Engine Modification for a M800

Hi All,

I have a 800,1988 model. Would it be possible to replace the 800 engine with a Alto engine. Was planning to do this as the pick up is low in 800 .

Thanks in advance.
Hemanth
hemanthbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 15:11   #2
BHPian

Hi Hemanth
Its is possible to retrofit an Alto Engine (Maruti 800 5 speed Engine) but the cost of doing it would be high as lots of work needs to done which includes changing the wiring system , ECM etc...It would be better if you could let me know the condition of engine currently that is used...if the pick up is low it could be various reasons:

Poor Engine Compression - Piston ring wear out or bore wear out which would require you to change the block or re-bore/Overhaul
Engine Head might require a overhaul
Carburettor clogged

the list is endless...before venturing into changing your engine..check with an authorised service dealer on the condition of the engine by doing a compression test...based on the inputs if its weak..i suggest you can change the engine which is supplied by Maruti as HALF ENGINE which includes - Crank shaft/con rods, Pistons, rings & main bearings... The build would take approx 24 hrs along with overhauling the engine head & changing the other components...The cost to have this done would be around 15-17K with all expenses inclusive... This would mean you have new engine with a year warranty...

Retro fitting an old engine would have to be done by a skillfull team of engineers which is expensive....

I guess this explanation would be of some help...

To boost performance after doing the engine job...you can go in Free Flow exhaust & filter mods ...

Good Luck

Mridul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthbs View Post
Hi All,

I have a 800,1988 model. Would it be possible to replace the 800 engine with a Alto engine. Was planning to do this as the pick up is low in 800 .

Thanks in advance.
Hemanth
mridul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:00   #3
BHPian

Mridul is right here hemanth and he has listed out the major components that need to checked. Considering that your car is almost 10 yrs old there could be n things that just need to be relooked into unless u have already checked all these out with a good service station. How much has ur car done till date?. Pbbly if its run quite a bit by now then you might want to check out compression components, I doubt if carbs may be the problem since you own the car for quite a long time and u would have caught that by now and this is the very first thing any service person will look at.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:05   #4
BHPian

The other way i look at ur question..if you are not happy with the M800's response(considering everthing is fine with the engine, carbs etc) and want to go for a more responsive car then i guess i guess it depends on how much more responsiveness u are looking at and how much of budget u have. You could try out the basic free flows to start off with in the M800 itself . If you could just put ur exact requirements then we might be able to help you better
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 11:22   #5
BHPian

I have a 1998 model carb. 800. Is it possible to retrofit the Alto 4-valve head and the EFI/ECU on the same block? The car has run only 43000 km. There seem to be a lot of crashed Altos around. I was thinking of buying the head, gearbox etc. as a full unit and fitting it into the 800. Is it possible without extensively modifying the bay?
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote