Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd May 2008, 08:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

I have a whole load of question marks hovering over my head regarding the power levels of the 2 cars as I drove Vikrams car only once for the first tune but have been through 3 more rounds ending with one last night but it was Vikram driving and 1 time on Asif's car while tuning that.

Based on those 2 drives Asif's car was faster but now I wouldnt know.Anyway as though that matters they are both happy with their rides and gues it is best left that way as they are both daily rides and not race cars.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:36   #137
BHPian

congrats vikram bhai and team , whats next in you list? vikram bhai.. now I'm tempted to put a mivec under my car hood.
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:50   #138
Team-BHP Support

how about some snaps please
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:47   #139
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, Have you got a chance to work on new piping? Many of us are waiting for some pics..

TC Baleno and a TC Swift doing some test runs. Let us in on time and place.. some of us might drop by.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:56   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
congrats vikram bhai and team , whats next in you list? vikram bhai.. now I'm tempted to put a mivec under my car hood.
Do it and ejoy it is all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
how about some snaps please
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Vikram, Have you got a chance to work on new piping? Many of us are waiting for some pics..

TC Baleno and a TC Swift doing some test runs. Let us in on time and place.. some of us might drop by.
Will be coming up shortly.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 11:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

can we have some snaps please..especially of Psycho adjusting the wastegate
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 21:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up My first petrol turbo experience...

oh boy ! I had a ride(in the passanger seat) in the batsmobile today. What an experience...I mean WHAT AN EXPERIENCE !

Sitting in the passanger seat, I was about to ask Vikram to get into the boost mode, he sensed it perhaps and let her fly. A roaring growl emanated and in the blink of an eye, the speedo nudged 100kph....Awesome - I am used to a diesel turbo swift, the petrol is something else, the engine spinning happily to the wrong side of 6k rpms, and making good power at those rpms, whereas the diesel power tapers off sharply.

Boost you say, now what was that?
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 21:28   #143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vikram, I am guessing that the VI-21 is a diesel turbo? If so, what are the changes required to run a diesel turbo on a petrol engine? Or is only the hot side of the VI-21 mated to some other petrol turbo? Because we all know that the diesel engines dont revv high and I am sure the turbo is made according to the powerband specifications of the diesel engine. Will running a turbo designed for a diesel engine (rev range between 2000-4000 rpm) do justice on a petrol engine where the rev range is from 2000-7500 rpm? Also is the turbo water cooled or oil cooled?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 18th May 2008 at 21:35.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 08:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

Rahul the turbo on my car spools from 3000 - 6500 rpm. It is an oil cooled turbo and no modifications have been done to it. This rev range is enough for me as it is a daily drive for me. Most of the times in the city I drive with the stock ECU as you know how bangalore traffic is. The stock ECU handles upto 2psi.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:20   #145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vikram, I have a small doubt here. Since we all know diesel turbos normally produce peak boost around 2500 rpm (Iv checked this on the elantra) and therefore should max out around 4,000-4,500 rpm? What I would like to know is if the turbo is designed to produce peak boost in this range, is it fair to assume that it will produce fair amount of boost on a petrol engine at 6500 rpm as well?

I mean if the turbo is not designed to produce boost at 6500 rpm and is maxing out way lower what would the implications be? Every one I meet tells me how important it is to choose a turbo (size, trim etc) depending on the engine application (diesel/petrol/quick revving engine/torquey engine, bank configuration etc).

The first thing people ask is what is your rev range that you want your turbo to work at before chosing a trim. What I would like to know is are diesel turbos capable of producing boosts at high rpms?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:20   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Vikram, I have a small doubt here. Since we all know diesel turbos normally produce peak boost around 2500 rpm (Iv checked this on the elantra) and therefore should max out around 4,000-4,500 rpm? What I would like to know is if the turbo is designed to produce peak boost in this range, is it fair to assume that it will produce fair amount of boost on a petrol engine at 6500 rpm as well?
You even get petrol turbos that run on oil lubrication only and no water cooling. The RHB52-VI21 was also used on petrol cars: Isuzu Piazza 2.0L Petrol. Here is an easy reference to see what is used where:

Turbocharger application guide - Wikicars

As for Engine RPM to Turbine shaft RPM please realize that they are completely 2 different things, so 6500 rpm on a swift engine can means a lot lesser airflow than a turbo Isuzu Piazza leading to lower shaft rpm's. Which is why people tend to size slightly larger diesel turbo's on a petrol engine (cc to cc) to compensate for the Usable Boost range provided to the smaller engine.

Last edited by Psycho : 19th May 2008 at 13:25.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:00   #147
Team-BHP Support

I was attacked by 2 turbo charged cars on my way back from mysore. I try with great difficulty to overtake a bus from the left side near Maddur and I see a psychotic esteem right on my tail flashing away. In my rear view mirror I just see a huge intercooler and flashing. The minute I go ahead of the bus. the blue streak passes me and catches upto the Audi Q7 who is also ripping. By the time I call, he has already covered 6kms ahead.

I don't know what time you guys reached but I reached home at 10pm going slow and steady in my Alto. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 21:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

OT - If you call that attacking then aint seen nothing yet. he he he he

Even more OT - Who was that girl next to you?
Old 9th June 2008, 20:52   #149
Senior - BHPian

I had the pleasure of actually driving her on saturday night. Man, is she fast. Pushed it hard and surprise surprise 10psi. It handles very well too, though Vikram was a bit antsy about my braking
To make it up I made sure he got an even faster ride, what say you Vikram, NA is quick too..
Psycho, better get ready to build a daily drive like that for me
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 21:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
I had the pleasure of actually driving her on saturday night. Man, is she fast. Pushed it hard and surprise surprise 10psi. It handles very well too, though Vikram was a bit antsy about my braking
To make it up I made sure he got an even faster ride, what say you Vikram, NA is quick too..
Psycho, better get ready to build a daily drive like that for me
10psi - Hmmm. Jugaad boost controller not working. lol. (sorry Psycho couldnt help myself)

As far as the even faster ride is concerned I got a ride in the much talked about 350Z and man oh man is she fast. And a stock NA car at that.

After all the drinking I did on saturday i dont remember being antsy about braking but I do remember being antsy about the engine mounts which have been on their way out for quite sometime now. Just ordered PU mounts today.