Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 17:36   #226
BHPian
 
Ford Rocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-India
Posts: 880
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

i am sorry "Vikram" but the Exhaust Manifold "LOG" type design doesn't looks optimum. The exhaust flow looks to be restrictive, especially from left 2 cyls.

The o/p of manifold to turbine housing is far right side, it would have been better if it was located centrally with smooth flow towards Turbine inlet of Turbo.
It will make a huge difference to power o/p at same boost level. A slight change in "LOG" manifold design is i highly recommend.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 18:07   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Jitu, we have tried mounting it in the center but it fouls with the condenser.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 11:00   #228
BHPian
 
speed0mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: new delhi
Posts: 463
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

hey vikram, i feel the intake would be sucking in hot air! you should relocate it to infront of the battery, i know theres no space there but a little modification (read jugaad) can push the battery back a few inches to incorporate the filter, thats what i've done and feels good! i dont think theres a better place for it under the swift hood! also the plumbing being relatively straighter and simpler helps in smooth flow!
How i achieved this was by flipping the plastic tray in the battery housing and geting longer battery bolts, the clamp comes off centre right now but plan on fixing that soon by welding on a new tray!
Another way would be to probably relocate the battery to the boot!

Last edited by speed0mania : 28th December 2008 at 11:04.
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 12:03   #229
BHPian
 
vinayvtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Sir, have you not installed an intercooler? Please post some more snaps of your car.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 12:09   #230
BHPian
 
speed0mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: new delhi
Posts: 463
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Sir, have you not installed an intercooler? Please post some more snaps of your car.
there is an intercooler installed, but it still helps to let cooler air enter the turbo itself! even though the difference could be marginal in such a setup but nonetheless its always a good idea to try and cut down on losses.
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 19:19   #231
BHPian
 
Ford Rocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-India
Posts: 880
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

My concern was design flaw, look at the pics attached which will be self explanatory. you want something like this, you get ready made S.S bends 90-45 deg of various size ranging from 1.5,2,2.5 inch you can custom make it.
This is with current location.
My Turbocharged Swift - narrated by Vikram_D-image_014_rev2.jpg

Ths is with centre location.
My Turbocharged Swift - narrated by Vikram_D-image_014cntr.jpg

It will greatly improve efficiency of Turbo Setup.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 11:50   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Jitu, thank for the ideas. In fact Keshav and me were discussing something very similar to what you have mentioned here. Will make the change when time permits. The first idea that you have suggested will work. The second one will not because of A/C condenser.

@speedomania - We have already shifted the coolant reservoir to make place for the air filter. Will try to do what you are suggesting. Also moreover for me a little hot air does not matter as my car is not a competition car. It is a daily drive. Relocating the battery to the boot will not be possible as I need some amount of boot space. Anyways the boot is already taken up by a JBL sub.

@vinayvtec - There is an intercooler. You can see it in the 4th picture that I have posted on the previous page.

Last edited by vikram_d : 29th December 2008 at 11:51.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 12:12   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Jitu - My eventual aim is to go in for something like the one in the picture that I am attaching below. The only difference being that we will make it out of SS tubes rather than have it cast.
Attached Images
 
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 14:10   #234
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,525
Thanked: 19,592 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How did you up it from 45bhp to 80 bhp? What did you tighten and what did you loosen?
He removed iceman from the passenger seat thereby increasing the PTWR hence the bumped up bhp to 80bhp.


Quote:
Jitu, thank for the ideas. In fact Keshav and me were discussing something very similar to what you have mentioned here. Will make the change when time permits. The first idea that you have suggested will work. The second one will not because of A/C condenser.
Vikram, I'm guessing the second option is not possible because the ac condenser is somewhere close to the left 2 cylinder hence the downpipe cannot be brought down from the middle?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 14:56   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Vikram, I'm guessing the second option is not possible because the ac condenser is somewhere close to the left 2 cylinder hence the downpipe cannot be brought down from the middle?
Exactly right. I am looking at something like the one in the image that I posted in my previous post.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:21   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,679
Thanked: 1,436 Times
Default

How did you get the rare G15A block.
The bore X stroke are similar as G1HC 1.5 ( OHC 1.5 ).
This is different than G13B and G16A/B. G15B was more stronger than G15A.
Its really surprising that you got this block.

An image of G15A displaying the closed deck design. This thing can handle your set up well.

Image.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st January 2009 at 16:26.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:07   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
How did you get the rare G15A block.
The bore X stroke are similar as G1HC 1.5 ( OHC 1.5 ).
This is different than G13B and G16A/B. G15B was more stronger than G15A.
Its really surprising that you got this block.

An image of G15A displaying the closed deck design. This thing can handle your set up well.

Image.
The block was sourced thanks to Amit (Iceman91). From what I have read abut this block on the internet, everybody seems to say the same thing that it is a perfect block for turbo charging.

Now for my current setup I have gone in for completely forged internals. This thing can now take up to 14 - 18 pounds of boost. But for daily drive we have kept it at 8 pounds.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:35   #238
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Hi Vikram,

I am aware that you are not one of those guys running after the timings, but when you have a car like this, why not give it a shot just for the sake of it at the hyd drags.. I am sure it should be amongst the fastest swifts around!

Just a thought!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The block was sourced thanks to Amit (Iceman91). From what I have read abut this block on the internet, everybody seems to say the same thing that it is a perfect block for turbo charging.

Now for my current setup I have gone in for completely forged internals. This thing can now take up to 14 - 18 pounds of boost. But for daily drive we have kept it at 8 pounds.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:40   #239
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi Vikram,

I am aware that you are not one of those guys running after the timings, but when you have a car like this, why not give it a shot just for the sake of it at the hyd drags.. I am sure it should be amongst the fastest swifts around!

Just a thought!!

Cheers
Shrey
Well, to be honest people have asked me to do this. But knowing me, I will loose more time on the launch than at anything else. I have never ever in my life taken part in a drag race and know nothing about launches. I might have a fast car but I am a slow driver . More over I used to call my car a 45bhp one. Now I call it 88bhp (thanks to Headers, the member for this). Just 1 bhp more.

I will be there at the Hyderabad drag but only as a spectator.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:48   #240
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Kya Vikram bhai,

what is there in launching a car, hum log kaunsa NHRA mein participate kar rahey hain ki lauch ekdum perfect hona chahiye!!

Just launch the way you want, atleast ek ref to mil jayega! But all said and done, it is upto you.

So, when are you guys leaving for HYD. I beleive, the breifing is on Friday?

All of us can leave together in a group naa!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Well, to be honest people have asked me to do this. But knowing me, I will loose more time on the launch than at anything else. I have never ever in my life taken part in a drag race and know nothing about launches. I might have a fast car but I am a slow driver . More over I used to call my car a 45bhp one. Now I call it 88bhp (thanks to Headers, the member for this). Just 1 bhp more.

I will be there at the Hyderabad drag but only as a spectator.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Birthday to you vikram_d, gunbir and CrAzY dRiVeR white_vdi Shifting gears 53 19th November 2008 20:16
Happy Birthday Vikram_d & Gunbir Jay Shifting gears 53 19th November 2007 17:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks