Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2008, 01:06   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Is the power gain worth the price?
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 03:06   #17
BHPian
 
ab1xlr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 93
Thanked: Once
Default

in my view the 17 k is not worth the price for this intake system,u r better of spending it on a cold air intake system
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 13:06   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Thought so...
Or Nos...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:30   #19
BHPian
 
furioussphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 536
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Sorry for reviving an old dead thread.

Can we fit a 69 series typhoon kit onto a Punto with a custom piping?
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:06   #20
BHPian
 
Fantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 122
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Any Short RAM intake will get you a MAX of around 2-3 bhp on a cold morning at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) . That's the problem with India. When it's hot outside and the air being sucked in is heated up in the engine compartment, you're not gaining anything.

A Cold Air Intake is great but if you drive it in the monsoon, then say goodbye to your engine block. Shame 'cause I've seen 8 horsepower gains from as little as 4000 rpms in some 4 cyl applications

My advice - put a good panel filter in your air filter box and save your money for a good catback exhaust - another 2-4 hp max.
when i saw this thread these were my thoughts exactly as far as a short ram is concerned. with temperatures reaching insane highs in india a short ram would be useless.

however you don't have to rely on just a simple filter swap in the stock air box as it's still sucking in hot air. the only thing different would be that you have a re-usable filter.

performance always goes up when you can get the car to breath better, both in and out. get the cold air intake and then during monsoon season just shorten it. remove the second pipe that put the filter outside the engine bay and put the filter up into the engine bay. i know roads can become flooded there but if you're in an area where you aren't driving through deep collected water pools and are just facing heavy rain you'll be fine with leaving everything as is. hydrolock will only occur if you suck up water and the only way that will happen is if the filter is submerged.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:11   #21
BHPian
 
Fantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 122
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Sorry for reviving an old dead thread.

Can we fit a 69 series typhoon kit onto a Punto with a custom piping?
save your money on the typhoon kit. just buy a k & n filter and do the custom piping. no need to buy an entire kit to try and fit into a custom application. just use aluminum piping. it's been proven to dissipate heat better than other metals.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:51   #22
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
save your money on the typhoon kit. just buy a k & n filter and do the custom piping. no need to buy an entire kit to try and fit into a custom application. just use aluminum piping. it's been proven to dissipate heat better than other metals.
Heat is by far not the biggest problem when it comes to air intake. The flow characteristics and the length with the right diameters are even more important.

There are bespoke AIRs out there, which can be fitted without modifying anything.
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:52   #23
BHPian
 
Fantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 122
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Heat is by far not the biggest problem when it comes to air intake. The flow characteristics and the length with the right diameters are even more important.

There are bespoke AIRs out there, which can be fitted without modifying anything.
my post was written with the assumption the air is getting to it's destination in the best manner. the "flow characteristics" are a natural given. not arguing with that. if you're creating obstacles to the way the air enters the engine then it's obviously not doing any good. but certainly not "even more important" than sucking in hot air. they all go hand in hand. having the best flowing pipes aren't going to do anything if you're just putting hot air into the engine. simple physics.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 03:18   #24
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
my post was written with the assumption the air is getting to it's destination in the best manner. the "flow characteristics" are a natural given. not arguing with that. if you're creating obstacles to the way the air enters the engine then it's obviously not doing any good. but certainly not "even more important" than sucking in hot air. they all go hand in hand. having the best flowing pipes aren't going to do anything if you're just putting hot air into the engine. simple physics.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I am designing AIRs all day long and spend more time than most in school on the chassis dyno, road testing, drag strip testing and track testing to evaluate these for efficiency. And I am doing my work for over 30 years.

What most people forget is that the air is not pushed into the intake rather than pulled. This means that when any air is disturbed by a sharp change of direction in flow, sharp edges very rough surfaces etc. the inertia will help creating a part vacuum. This in turn leads to a lower VE, which is usually much lower than best possible flow with considerably higher temperature. at the valves.

We have conducted many test over the years to see what the impact is on temperature and different designs (with resulting different flow characteristics). This included test on modified products.

We always considered thermal influences, but had to come to the conclusion that flow is more important. We were proven right because on all comparison tests, which were independently tested our products consistently came out best.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 14:38   #25
BHPian
 
Fantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 122
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I am designing AIRs all day long and spend more time than most in school on the chassis dyno, road testing, drag strip testing and track testing to evaluate these for efficiency. And I am doing my work for over 30 years.

What most people forget is that the air is not pushed into the intake rather than pulled. This means that when any air is disturbed by a sharp change of direction in flow, sharp edges very rough surfaces etc. the inertia will help creating a part vacuum. This in turn leads to a lower VE, which is usually much lower than best possible flow with considerably higher temperature. at the valves.

We have conducted many test over the years to see what the impact is on temperature and different designs (with resulting different flow characteristics). This included test on modified products.

We always considered thermal influences, but had to come to the conclusion that flow is more important. We were proven right because on all comparison tests, which were independently tested our products consistently came out best.
perhaps i'm misreading something you're saying along the way but are you saying that the cars that you've used your designed and tested intakes on had absolutely no improvements or losses when fed hot or cold air? again i'm assuming that best delivery methods were used in both cases. could you provide a link to your product? can you post dyno sheets of the comparison tests? perhaps vehicle info your intakes were tested on as well.

although i don't have 30 years experience in the industry, i'm not old enough to, but i have been in the industry for quite a number of years as both a racer and an automotive business owner. in my years this is the first i've ever heard of this. science has shown that hot air will contain less molecules due to their expanded size.

the best example i can think of are the instant gains provided by nitrous oxide systems. in the simplest terms, they reduce the temperature of the air entering the engine there by allowing more to enter creating a better air/fuel mixture in each individual chamber resulting in better combustion and creating more power.

i'm not saying this to be sarcastic or to start a pissing contest over the net but as an enthusiast i'd love to see what you have going on.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 02:03   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

http://www.amazon.com/69-1013TS-Typh...26n+69+1013+ts

Have purchased a k&n typhoon 69-1013 TS from the US for approximately 250 US Dollars
Just wanted to know if its a reasonable price, assuming that the dollar is around the 55 rupees mark, it's around 14 Grand, Considering Ive received qoutes north of the 20k mark, I'm hoping its a reasonable price.
Planning to go to red rooster for a before/after dyno to see the difference on paper, and I'm hoping they'll also be able to install it for me, Or should I just go to a honda A.S.S/Local Garage for installation?
In my opinion, the main reason to go for a typhoon as compared to a filter+ custom piping is that the typhoon is specifically designed for the civic, and I'm just assuming that k&n probably made a better design than our local fabricator + Hopefully a CEL Light won't come on with a typhoon, So I guess a premium is justified
Will post results soon, hopefully with installation pics
p.s- Is a D.I.Y installation if i'm not familiar with the engine bay of the civic?
or any fellow team-BHPian wants to help me out?
Will only be able to treat for a coffee in return
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 16:35   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

Got the typhoon kit installed
Totally worth the money for the driving experience
It's silent as stock when you need it to be and it can get louder when you want that too!
Amazing!
Wont trouble the folks and fun when they aren't in the car
Attached Images
            

Last edited by raghav.carfreak : 16th September 2012 at 16:43. Reason: more pics to be added
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 11:58   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Got the typhoon kit installed
Totally worth the money for the driving experience
It's silent as stock when you need it to be and it can get louder when you want that too!
Amazing!
Wont trouble the folks and fun when they aren't in the car
Great. Congrats.

So where did you get it installed finally? At Honda or RR?

Total costs? What have been your visible performance gains?
car.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 19:06   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

I actually have an accessories shop that I reguarly visit on JC Road, got it installed there itself, I gave 500 bucks to the guy who installed it
and The reason i went to these people is, my entire ICE is from these guys, and it's been awhile, without any problems. Also, I know this has been done correctly is because no CEL Light comes on(it did when he installed it, but he disconnected the battery for a couple of mins after installation) and CEL light hasn't come back since
The noise isn't deafening, but you can make out there's a filter beyond 3k rpm, below that, if you drive sedately, there's no noise, but it's much smoother to drive, it revvs faster now.Enjoying it completely!
So I would call it a mini sleeper, since I'm not going to tinker with the exhaust, inspite of multiple reviews/suggestions to do so!

Last edited by raghav.carfreak : 20th September 2012 at 19:10.
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 19:57   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

Congratulations Raghav!

The next step now would be to get a remap done. Why don't you go through GTO's Civic thread. If my memory serves me right, he got it chipped and it has improved the initial response a great deal. Bottom end torque is no longer weak. This helps city-drivability.

Additionally, you could work on the suspension and maybe switch to better tyres.

I don't think an aftermarket exhaust is a bad idea. If you have the money, a Remus end-can will improve the car's sound and it will look good. Don't expect massive gains though.

The Civic's exhaust-manifold is integrated, so you wouldn't be able to replace that.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic with K&N Typhoon Kit. EDIT : Now TURBO-Charged m4ugr8 Modifications & Accessories 327 6th September 2012 12:12
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.3 - With K&N Typhoon air intake GTO Modifications & Accessories 41 12th January 2012 10:39
Corolla K&N Typhoon intake vittalnrv Modifications & Accessories 30 1st March 2007 20:19
typhoon intake cbr1000f Modifications & Accessories 2 12th December 2005 10:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks