Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th July 2010, 15:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Also search for Raid-de-himalaya 2010 videos on youtube. They have put the recon videos, and also a video of the first stage. This will give you an idea of the type of terrain.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 19:55   #32
BHPian

Thank You tsk1979 and Sudev Sir for your interest and feedback... I have seen most of the videos on Youtube, also trying to get road book for RDH...

Any special recommendation for tyres?
Passiontodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 12:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
He is doing adventure category and I do not think you need to do these. A gypsy basic is strong enough.
@Sudev sir, I agree that the Gypsy is strong enough to take on the terrain, but as per experiences heard from regular Raid ers, the terrain is unbearable. If it can bend the ladder chassis of a Bolero then it is very very tough. I would say get additional TIG welding done on all factory chassis weld points as the additional strength and stability gained is way beyond we can think off from a stock chassis. Also we can avoid chassis bends if a landing goes slightly wrong as obviously they are going to use the Gypsy for many more events to come and not only the Raid.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 13:48   #34
BANNED

I was about to start a new thread, but decided to post my questions here.

i will be building a rally gypsy soon from an army disposal. My question is what are the necessary mods required? since it will be an engine upgrade it makes more sense to upgrade to a 1.6 instead of a 1.3.

Now, i have seen gypsies with the 1.6 block and 1.3 head + ECU. I have also seen gypsies with a complete 1.6 engine and baleno ECU. How do these two differ? i understand the later one is a more complex upgrade involving the wiring etc. how reliable is it?

except the engine, the following upgrades come to my mind -
1. Roll Cage
2. Half Cabin Hard top
3. Rally Seats (FIA/NON FIA to be decided)
4. FIA seat belts
5.CAI
6. FFE
7. Twin Shock Mod with Monroe gas filled shocks
8. Parabolic leaf springs
9. Fuel and Sump Guard
10. Spare wheel bracket
11. Hood fasteners etc
12. Extra Fuel Tank

What else is required here?
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 15:21   #35
BHPian

@saintsinner,

One thing i would like to add to that list is that since its an army disposal vehicle then do get additional TIG welding done on the chassis and body, especially at high stress points.

Reason being that the army disposal's are machines which have taken a beating during their army stint, so a welding job can stiffen the chassis up. Also this improves stability by miles.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 16:07   #36
BANNED

Thanks NOS Power.

What is TIG & MIG welding? Are you talking about the shell/mounting reinforce? Doesn't a too stiff chassis have it's disadvantages?

It makes sense to me. But, how does one check the chassis for abuse? What are the high stress points?
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote