Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th November 2012, 13:22   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Is Cold Air Intake actually worth the money?

Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
And really, my biggest beef with CAIs is the bang for buck. If I add a little more money to the cost of a CAI, I might as well get myself a remap, which will give me a guaranteed power boost of at least 15%, as compared to the puny 3% (if you're lucky) that you get with a CAI.
15% improvements on a stock non turbo petrol is not guaranteed, on some cars there will be some improvements and some the improvements will be minimal. So unless the improvements are proven on a dyno - before and after, the percentage gains is just hypothetical. Like CAI.

If the car isn't dynoed before and after with and without that remap there is no proof of actual improvements and where.

And one can't sell a remap once you own it, unless the person refunds you when you find that the BHP gains aren't as promised when dynoed. With a CAI one can sell it used and get some money out of it if it doesn't work

Personally I would rather go the piggyback way with Unichip; with the piggyback installed and the car tuned on the dyno with the result on paper.

And its best to get a remap/piggyback done once intake/exhaust or other mods are done, gains would be more. Again should be proven on the dyno.

Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
There is no Dyno graph in that thread. There is no before and after dyno run of that particular car, and apart from the way how the car feels like there is no way to quantify the claim in increase in performance. Where is that hard dyno measured improvements? I would really like to see the gains made by a remapped non-turbo petrol car in India on a dyno in india, with before and after chart. Can you find me a link?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 13:55   #77
Team-BHP Support

Now I'm not a tech-geek or an engineer.

But what I do know is that a CAI is a good addition when you're planning on extensively tuning your car's engine. Stand-alone, it's probably rubbish and a waste of money.

But when you're looking at turbos, remaps, crank / cam mods, a CAI + exhaust will help the car breathe better and unlock more potential.

In short, it's a good place to start if you're interested in getting some more oomph. But a CAI on its own may not yield benefits, apart from the fact that you don't need to replace the filter every time the car is serviced.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 18:49   #78
Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Most cars manufactured today already come with a cold air intake installed at the factory as OEM. My Cruze and Junkindica already come factory fitted with cold air intakes. The routing for the Cruze is from the bumper area and so also for the my Junkindica. My beloved GTX had CAI coming in from the area near the right fender. Please see the routing of your air plumbing to ascertain whether you have a CAI as OEM.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by ArjunMahadevan View Post
hi guys. My friend has an Accord 2.4 iVtec and he bought a Cosworth CAI (model No CWCIUN 1001 for engines uptil 2.2ltr). So is it wise to go ahead and fix this CAI ? Will it harm the engine ?
I don't see any problems happening post-installation. It's just that the conical filter of the CAI kit was designed for 2.2L engines - meaning the amount of air it would gulp down and breathe out would be limited to the design of a 2.2L engine, but that's about it. Full performance gains might not be there, but there will be a noticeable difference for sure. I have a Cosworth CAI fitted on my Jazz and I can definitely vote for a slight increase in low-end torque and a race-sound drone post 3500 RPM!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:24   #80

That sounds convincing. We ll go ahead and fix it. Will post the review. Thanks.
ArjunMahadevan is offline   Reply With Quote