Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th April 2010, 21:15   #31
BHPian

Your problem is not the sunfilm.

The leather seat covers in your car are absorbing all the heat.

For the summer season, try switching to fabric seat covers and see the difference.

Another option, use a seat cushion made of beads (the kind used by cabbies). It will allow air to circulate between you and the hot seat.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 01:03   #32
BHPian

Rolling down the windows a little when you park has worked out well for me.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Your problem is not the sunfilm.

The leather seat covers in your car are absorbing all the heat.

For the summer season, try switching to fabric seat covers and see the difference.

Another option, use a seat cushion made of beads (the kind used by cabbies). It will allow air to circulate between you and the hot seat.

Rohan
Hi Rohan,

Leather seats indeed absorbs heat a lot, but changing them is not a feasible solution.

Just following two steps as discussed in the thread would work for the most.

Cheers
Raghu
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Rohan,

Leather seats indeed absorbs heat a lot, but changing them is not a feasible solution.

Just following two steps as discussed in the thread would work for the most.

Cheers
Raghu
No need to remove the leather seat covers.

You can buy fabric seat covers and put them over the leather ones.

Rohan
Old 7th April 2010, 12:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Guess that is 10am-5pm..Man, you can save some time by carrying raw food from home..by lunch it will get cooked inside the car. Good luck with the summer heat.

But seriously, in such scenarios, not sure how even the best tint may help. Your best bet may be to direct all air towards face so that at least some feeling of coolness is there, instead of trying to cool entire inside.

I remember seeing some gadgets being sold on "As seen on TV" type ads..this particular gagdet is stuck on the top of the window.

Amazon.com: AUTO COOL AS SEEN ON TV SOLAR POWERED VENT FAN AUTOCOOL: Health & Personal Care

eBay.com.sg: SOLAR SUN POWERED WINDOW FAN AUTO COOL AIR VENT FOR CAR (item 250590100649 end time May 02, 2010 08:32:05 SGT)

If you claim that leaving a slight gap in the window does improve the situation quite a lot, then theoritically, this gadget should be helpfull.
10-5 Sure does sound fun but thats not always the case.
By 10-5 I was representing that the car is in sun when the sun is at it best trying to burn out anyone who dares to step out

Thanks for the fan links but I am not too sure about the product. Will check more on this.

Quote:
No need to remove the leather seat covers.

You can buy fabric seat covers and put them over the leather ones.

Rohan
Rohan a good suggestion but putting on seat covers might not totally solve the problem. The leather beaneath would still be hot making the cotton fabric warm. The impact would be lower though.
+ Putting on a seat cover for 3 months and then again storing it for the next summer I am a Lazy Bum.
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:26   #36
BHPian

I've lived in Texas where the temperature was often more than 45 degrees for months and cars parked in the hot sun. You could literally fry an egg on your car. The car acts as a greenhouse and just traps the heat. I've had cassette tapes, pens and other plastic items completely melted inside.

Three simple practices always helped in keeping the car near to the atmospheric temperature. These are in order of cost and the effort :-)

1) Keep one or two windows slightly open. I see you are already doing this.

2) Get a reflective windshield cover like this Windshield Sun Shield and Heat Shield for Car and Truck

Believe me this really works wonders. I've seen in supermarkets in Bangalore selling for around Rs250. Only issue is you have to fold it everytime and store it in the car. So only use it if you are parking for a longer time under the sun.

3) Cover the whole car. Even the cheap covers which come for Rs 500-700 have good reflective properties and the car will be cooler inside.
litesaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
I've lived in Texas where the temperature was often more than 45 degrees for months and cars parked in the hot sun. You could literally fry an egg on your car. The car acts as a greenhouse and just traps the heat. I've had cassette tapes, pens and other plastic items completely melted inside.

Three simple practices always helped in keeping the car near to the atmospheric temperature. These are in order of cost and the effort :-)

1) Keep one or two windows slightly open. I see you are already doing this.

2) Get a reflective windshield cover like this Windshield Sun Shield and Heat Shield for Car and Truck

Believe me this really works wonders. I've seen in supermarkets in Bangalore selling for around Rs250. Only issue is you have to fold it everytime and store it in the car. So only use it if you are parking for a longer time under the sun.

3) Cover the whole car. Even the cheap covers which come for Rs 500-700 have good reflective properties and the car will be cooler inside.
I take the point 2 strongly and will surely get a good quality reflector soon.
Point 3 is really not feasible though it might be a good suggestion.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Rohan a good suggestion but putting on seat covers might not totally solve the problem. The leather beaneath would still be hot making the cotton fabric warm. The impact would be lower though.
+ Putting on a seat cover for 3 months and then again storing it for the next summer. I am a Lazy Bum.
Don't be such a lazy bum. You don't have to do it personally. Just go to a seat cover shop and explain your problem. They will do the rest for you.

Alternately, try the seat covers made of beads. These can be simply kept on top of the existing seat covers. These allow air to circulate between the seat and the body. You will be saved from the hot seat.

Rohan
Old 8th April 2010, 14:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Don't be such a lazy bum. You don't have to do it personally. Just go to a seat cover shop and explain your problem. They will do the rest for you.

Alternately, try the seat covers made of beads. These can be simply kept on top of the existing seat covers. These allow air to circulate between the seat and the body. You will be saved from the hot seat.

Rohan
Let me get the windshield heat reflector first and check the effect. I will be saved of the cost and trouble to get the covers.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:14   #40
BHPian

Does your car have door visors? I would recommend putting up door visors and rolling down the windows a bit. With the visors, no one would be aware that the windows are open and heat will also circulate out.

If you are running for a longer time with 4 blower settings you may not feel the cool air at all, please switch to 1 or 2 blower settings after sometime.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 08:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Does your car have door visors? I would recommend putting up door visors and rolling down the windows a bit. With the visors, no one would be aware that the windows are open and heat will also circulate out.

If you are running for a longer time with 4 blower settings you may not feel the cool air at all, please switch to 1 or 2 blower settings after sometime.

I dont have the door visors, they just dont look kewl on a sedan , as per me

But yes that could have helped hide the open windows. I do switch the blower to 2/3 in 5 mins as all i hear is noise and also dont feel the cool air- like you mentioned.
Old 13th April 2010, 04:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have never parked the car directly under the sun for long, until yesterday. It was under the full glory of Chennai's sun from 8 AM to 5 PM and I forgot to leave a gap in the windshield.

I had the windows rolled down for a few seconds after starting the car (Black Getz) with the AC in fresh air mode on blower speed #3. After a minute or two, turned it back to recirculation mode (do not want the Chennai's peak hour pollution getting in!), and after five minutes reduced the blower speed to #2 (my usual) - the car had cooled down to comfortable temperatures!

A difference between you case and mine - I do not have leathers yet. And my sun-film is the darkest in the premium series of 3M (CS 5) on the sides, and CR70 on the front.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 15:09   #43
BHPian

My car is always parked under hot sun. I use Eco Drive 20no. dark tint. Which blocks most of the heat,I got them for 2400Rs I start my car set the temprature on 21 degrees and just open windows for about 5 seconds thats all it takes to cool my car. Now about the darkness of the tint in delhi noone says anything, on gurgaon toll cops catch me once or twice in a month I go there atleast 7 times a month. A hundred rupee note bails me off..
Am quite happy with ecodrive to an extent that i dont need suntan until am in car.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 01:32   #44
BHPian

Default Re: Parking under the direct sun?

Did anyone actually try this?

http://www.bhaap.com/buy-as-seen-on-...n-for-car.html

Please let me know if it works.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 20:43   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Parking under the direct sun?

Does parking in sunlight from 10 - 5 cause the fuel to evaporate? I am seeing a hit in FE and I am not sure if this is the case.
eyesice is offline   Reply With Quote