Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 23:31   #1006
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 672
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

I heard you can fit alloy wheel / rims of Chenorlet Spark direct bolton. The RIM width is 4.5J with OEM tyre size 155/70R13 enough for Zen . I have no idea on RIM width of Chevy OEM alloy wheels.And yes PCD is same.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 14:19   #1007
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I heard you can fit alloy wheel / rims of Chenorlet Spark direct bolton. The RIM width is 4.5J with OEM tyre size 155/70R13 enough for Zen . I have no idea on RIM width of Chevy OEM alloy wheels.And yes PCD is same.
Great. I will look for some Spark alloys then.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 17:53   #1008
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I heard you can fit alloy wheel / rims of Chenorlet Spark direct bolton. The RIM width is 4.5J with OEM tyre size 155/70R13 enough for Zen . I have no idea on RIM width of Chevy OEM alloy wheels.And yes PCD is same.
wow, I didn't know that Spark carries a 114 pcd. Are you sure? I thought all the current cars has pcd=100. Also, how about the offset? Zen's front wheel well is not generous enough for relatively high negative offsets and would touch the inside on full lock to either sides.

Anyway, did Spark ever come with OEM alloys?

Also, any idea if Spark is having rim bending issues like Zen's 13"? If not, it might be a worthy option to explore even for steel rim replacement.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 08:10   #1009
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Spark seems to have 114.3 PCD as per the PCD thread. This is believable since the Matiz is also mentioned as 114.3 PCD and GM didn't bother to change much of the mechanicals when they launched Spark.

However, the width is mentioned as 5.5j while Zen has a 4.5 which could foul with the wheel wells. Given the standard wheel size is 155, it is unlikely to have anything above 5j and the 5.5j is most likely a typo.

If someone has access to a Zen and a Spark, please see if you can mount the Spark's wheel in Zen and do a lock-to-lock steering rotation without interfering with wheel wells.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:19   #1010
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 672
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

1.) Spark RimWidth Steel Rims is 4.5J and tyre is 155/70R13 .
2.) I have no info on Offset but slight here and there will work i believe .
3.) Spark didnot come with OEM alloys on any model but i think they were available as accessories.
4.) I guess any rim will bend if tyre height is too low and driven rashly .Also i dont think Zen owners can be choosers here due to limited appropriate rims for Zen in 13inch .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 2nd August 2014 at 17:23.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 17:44   #1011
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Zen is back with us after restoration.

I still have to get the AC fixed and also take care of the music system which got bust due to the electricians fault. I also need to replace the battery which seems to have stopped charging as per the battery fellow.

Meanwhile, some photos.

The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20140906_124823581_hdr.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20140906_124852357_hdr.jpg

The king and the queen's rides

The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20140906_124834510_hdr.jpg
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 16:33   #1012
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Zen is back with us after restoration.

I still have to get the AC fixed and also take care of the music system which got bust due to the electricians fault. I also need to replace the battery which seems to have stopped charging as per the battery fellow.

Meanwhile, some photos.

Attachment 1284214

Attachment 1284215

The king and the queen's rides

Attachment 1284216
The car looks nice after restoration. Can you share what all work you have carried out and the total cost possible. I have a 99model vxi, the car is running perfectly fine. However at up hill the power drops and with a.c. on it drops further more. About tyres, currently it is running on 165/65 13 is this a right size?? As you mentioned at parking speed steering become really hard, what would be better tyre size option.
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 17:21   #1013
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Zen is back with us after restoration.

Attachment 1284216
Nice

How is the performance of the car after the entire rebuild? I assume you are treating it with some respect for the first 1000km.

Is that a projector hiding inside the head lamp cluster? Close-up shots
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 17:46   #1014
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
The car looks nice after restoration. Can you share what all work you have carried out and the total cost possible. I have a 99model vxi, the car is running perfectly fine. However at up hill the power drops and with a.c. on it drops further more. About tyres, currently it is running on 165/65 13 is this a right size?? As you mentioned at parking speed steering become really hard, what would be better tyre size option.

There is a huge list. I will try and put up the items when I get time to type out them.
The tyre size I have is 145/R13. Your tyres are lot wider, so probably that is why it is even heavier than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Nice

How is the performance of the car after the entire rebuild? I assume you are treating it with some respect for the first 1000km.

Is that a projector hiding inside the head lamp cluster? Close-up shots
The performance is the same as earlier. The engine was not touched and is in good condition. Currently the RPM seems to be higher and I would like to get this fixed at another place.

Just got the AC related work done (compressor changed) last weekend and now the car can run cool.

There are lot of vibrations from engine bay at idle, and they disappear after the engine heats up. So, I think that is normal.

Overall, there are plenty of noises from somewhere behind the dashboard on bad roads - which I want to get fixed.

For now, work keeps me busy.

And no projectors on the Zen. The photo somehow makes it look like that. I think the headlamp needs polishing.

Yes. There are projectors on the Cedia.

Edit: The battery was perfectly fine. Thankfully my battery fellow does not cheat.

Overall, I won't recommend Joad Motors for the quality of work that they have done on the car.

Last edited by S_U_N : 29th September 2014 at 17:48.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 17:15   #1015
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Zen is back with us after restoration.


Meanwhile, some photos.

Attachment 1284214

Attachment 1284215

The king and the queen's rides

Attachment 1284216
Are those projectors - in the Zen HLs?

Oops..read your later post! Surely would have been interested to see how a projector setup would look!

Last edited by Zen2001 : 8th October 2014 at 17:18.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 14:49   #1016
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Last week, after getting the car paint touchup, I noticed three problems.
1. The brake pedal became harder (after swapping from another Zen carb, issue seems to be related to brake booster hose pipe.)
2. There was a hissing noise (something to do with the vacuum section in the engine bay)
3. Engine race when AC is turned off (if AC is not turned ON, then by default the engine RPM seems normal).

Now, none of these are completely resolved.
I am particularly interested in point 2.
Point 3 is probably related to carburetor overhaul.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 16:28   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,970
Thanked: 3,063 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Last week, after getting the car paint touchup, I noticed three problems.
1. The brake pedal became harder (after swapping from another Zen carb, issue seems to be related to brake booster hose pipe.)
2. There was a hissing noise (something to do with the vacuum section in the engine bay)
3. Engine race when AC is turned off (if AC is not turned ON, then by default the engine RPM seems normal).

Now, none of these are completely resolved.
I am particularly interested in point 2.
Point 3 is probably related to carburetor overhaul.

1. Brake pedal becoming harder: Check the vacuum pipe connecting the booster with the engine, specifically the check valve. Either it is faulty or has gotten jammed. Blowing from one end on this pipe should see a free air flow, while from the another end, it should restrict the air flow completely. If found faulty, replacing the pipe is the best & safe solution.

2. Looks like the air intake or a vacuum leak sound. Check if the air intake is not choked or partially blocked. Check air filter & air filter box. Also, check if the pipe leading from air filter to engine air intake has been clamped properly and has no leaks.

3. Problem not clear to me, but if you mean that engine RPM does not returns to normal after switching off the AC, then idle air control valve may be faulty. Also, look from the angle if all 3 problems you stated can be interconnected. All this can happen as a result of vacuum leak.

Check the above and update us.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 10th October 2014 at 16:29.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 19:13   #1018
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

@saket: I will report back on the topics above when I get some time to get things worked out. For now, only problem 3 is affecting. problem 1 is no longer there. Problem 2: I don't know what is the impact. It does not happen all the time, it seems. The car is not used much, so my observations are limited.

Now, the other day at Reliance autozone, I saw possibly a 'Zen' alloy wheel 13x5.5 4x100. I don't have much idea about his, but it was for 13" wheels, which is what I have in my 1996 Zen.

Is this compatible?

Can someone point me to a website where I can find true compatible options with some technical details like PCD etc?

edit: Someone can take me to this place? http://pune.quikr.com/Aluminium-Allo...AdIdZ174836970

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th October 2014 at 19:16.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 21:36   #1019
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Now, the other day at Reliance autozone, I saw possibly a 'Zen' alloy wheel 13x5.5 4x100. I don't have much idea about his, but it was for 13" wheels, which is what I have in my 1996 Zen.

Is this compatible?
4x100 would not fit Zen. I think it would fit Alto, Wagon R, Estilo & A-Star though. Zen (and Esteem) has PCD = 114.3

Regarding the rim width, I think 5.5J is too big. That is the width of Swift ZXi OEM alloy with 185mm tyres. For Zen, it should be ideally 4.5J or max up to 5J if you are planning on 155 or 165mm tyres. (OEM width is 145mm) Unless the wheels bulge out, it might foul with inner wall. If it does bulge out, you are looking at a bad turning radius going worse. I think 13x5.5 would be ideal for Indica.

Last edited by zenren : 14th October 2014 at 21:37.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 22:38   #1020
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
4x100 would not fit Zen. I think it would fit Alto, Wagon R, Estilo & A-Star though. Zen (and Esteem) has PCD = 114.3

Regarding the rim width, I think 5.5J is too big. That is the width of Swift ZXi OEM alloy with 185mm tyres. For Zen, it should be ideally 4.5J or max up to 5J if you are planning on 155 or 165mm tyres. (OEM width is 145mm) Unless the wheels bulge out, it might foul with inner wall. If it does bulge out, you are looking at a bad turning radius going worse. I think 13x5.5 would be ideal for Indica.
Agree with you. I got 5j on my zen and had to travel from Pune to Gurgaon didnt realize coz i was too enthusiastic enjoying my FFE and alloys. Next day as i hit expressway, realised the turning radius issue and also since i waa driving solo the rear was light and at bigger bumps the rear well was scraping the outside edge of both the tires. Finally got rubber inserted in rear shocks get some space going but then handling was impacted especially during ghat like turns in rajasthan.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modifications for Gypsy King - Does the sequence of modifications matter? khan_sultan Modifications & Accessories 18 6th September 2009 14:02
Thunderbird - Modifications thread - Pics please. agbenny Motorbikes 5 15th June 2009 14:34
Zen external Modifications nicejits Modifications & Accessories 19 25th November 2007 01:41
Zen Modifications Kaizer Sozay Modifications & Accessories 5 11th September 2005 20:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks