Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th June 2008, 14:09   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Samurai I test drove a new Mahindra Major and the brakes were fabulous. I noticed it had a booster device too. If after the brake overhaul you find your car still lacking in stopping power give your Jeep to a Mahindra workshop and have the new booster mechanism with master cylinder installed.

I don't see why if you upgrade to the Major's brake system there should be any reliability issues.

Last edited by DKG : 17th June 2008 at 14:10.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 14:43   #47
Team-BHP Support

How are they generating the vacuum?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 15:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How are they generating the vacuum?
from the alternator!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 15:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

hi samurai,
i feel if u are going for disc up front i suggest that u must go for bolero suspended pedals instead of majors. Majors pedals are way high up and limit the leg room seriously

With a brake O/H your brakes would never be like a disc. However u have to get used to slow stopping power even with best drum brakes around. I have got used to mine, i shuffle between a super smooth wagon R and my jeep. Depends howmuch u want to adjust:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 17th June 2008 at 15:26.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 15:44   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
from the alternator!
Alternator?? That's for the current, you mean the inlet manifold? unless the alternator shaft runs a vacuum pump?

Last edited by DKG : 17th June 2008 at 15:45.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1)Yes, you can add a booster. Its a belt driven pump.
2)Should be available easily at a Mahindra dealer/distributor.
3)Yes, again possible.

Again, Sharath. I've had a major head on accident because of the ****ty drums in the Mahindra and totaled it.Im still scarred with the stitches.
Headers once lost his brakes in the CJ3B completely and had to drive 11 kms brakeless to his home and ended up bumping the jeep's rear into the wall while reversing into his car park.

Simple reasoning to me: Drums are primitive,ancient brake technology. They fail miserably especially when they get wet.
Discs are used in an F1 car, a WRC car, and any modern vehicle except trucks. Im a firm believer in discs and the kind of bite,sharpness and precision they offer.
I know Headers with his disc'd gypsy and Arka are pro-drummers. I will never agree to them on this topic.
But, Im gonna advise you get DISCS. Please.
BOSS, I'm not a pro drummer. I like to drive without touchin the brakes. Both are different.

BTW, the eleven kms without brakes was definitely an experience to write about. Currently am reading travellogues of Sam to understand how to write a travellogue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
I agree with Nitrous! Go for discs!
You can add a booster using also a Tata Safari alternator wich has the vacuum pump built in.
Thats the alternator I was talking about!

Quote:
So you all suggest disk brakes with booster? What is the approximate cost of this mod?
No, No, I suggest the AIR brake. They are cheap, almost all trucks use it.

Quote:
I heard drum brakes can lose their effect when they gets wet. Does it happen only if I try to ford rivers (not that I would) or even under severe rains?

Some more questions:

1) If I have to do this in phases, can I start with brake boosters first? Say only install the vacuum booster to reduce the effort in pressing the current brakes. Can this be reused when I switch to disc brake?

2) Since this is a diesel Jeep, I will need a vacuum pump. Nitrous has suggested belt driven vacuum pump, is that a Mahindra OEM item I can get on order? What about this belt-less Safari pump suggested by Ignazio?

3) The disc brake kit for CJ3B or CJ340, what does it contain? Does it come with new hanging type pedals, proportioning valve, brake lines, disk brakes, rotors, etc., or I need to buy each item separately? Any trouble mating it with existing vacuum booster?

4) To add emergency brakes, does the stock rear drum brakes have the necessary mechanism or do I need to replace them?

to confuse you further, why not look at doing it the truck way - AIR BRAKES!

I am seriously considering them for my 540!

On a serious note:
1. Yes you can do it in stages.
2. You could either go the mahindra way [ direct vaccum pump] or the tata way [ vaccuum of the alternator ]
3. I have no experience sorry
4. I think the parking brake works of the gearbox! It does not work on the rear wheels and thats why they are lousy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The disc brake conversion is really recommended. The caliper assembly is the same as that of a Sumo, so a set of used ones will be really cheap. Get new knuckle arms and rotors, a competent mechanic, get an inline booster (by elgi) get a GP brake valve, (all of which should cost you about 14K) and have yourself a reliable jeep.
The brakes on the 340 can get really scary in the rains and post rain. I still remember using the brakes once, the jeep swinging wildly to the right and the Zen guy coming towrds me literally getting a heart attack and going off the road to avoid me!!!! Man those brakes stink.
Beboy
I could imagine the zen guys face John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I think there is no need to upgrade the brakes.

Reason being

d) Why doesn't any one suggest a CAR owner to buy Taller tyres to improve ground clearance.
Arka, my car has taller tyres - 14mm taller than OE spec!

Quote:
Arka, my main problem is applying brakes when it is standstill on the slightest of incline. I can't simply place my foot on the brake to stop it from rolling, I literally have to press it really hard to stop it from rolling. Will 540 drums help me there or do I need boosters too?
Well, Sharat, you need to tone your muscles.

Quote:
I found a workshop about 250 meters from my house who services Force Motors as well as Mahindra. He is not an authorised A.S.S, ..... if you are walking.
Good Show!
Old 17th June 2008, 15:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

All of us felt the poor braking power of the jeep, initially, but as vinod says, one gets used to it.

Also, jeeps are not fast vehicles, hence you dont need better brakes, however one needs to take care of them and lubricate them every 2 weeks or so to keep them in trim condition.

IMO, use the existing DRUM brakes and get the feel of the jeep, after all you bought a jeep to get the jeep feel - Why convert it now?
Old 17th June 2008, 15:53   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Do the brakes in stages Samurai.

1. Overhaul the system and use it first to see if its adequate.

2. Assuming you are not comfy with the setup, add a Major's brake booster kit with master cylinder (the whole contraption)

3. Even after the booster upgrade if you are not satisfied upgrade to disc brakes
Old 17th June 2008, 16:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

Right now I am ok with drum brakes, let's see how it behaves in off-roading drives and highway drives. Not planning any changes for now.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 08:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Conversion to disc brakes is strongly not to be attempted as an aftermarket job as reliability gets adversely affected. Please remember - your CL340 is going to be a pain to drive on road ......

It is going to be sheer pleasure and a mind blowing relevation to drive it the moment your wheels leave tarmac. This vehicle is designed to be taken off-road. Also remember, during serious off-roading, most of your braking will be through the transfer case (the low range ratio is 2.46:1, extremely effective) and not through the drums, so I suggest please do not waste money on anything which will not give you value,
Do we need anymore reassurance - I agree 100% with his opinion. The jeep is a marvel offroad [remember kelambakkam]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Alternator?? That's for the current, you mean the inlet manifold? unless the alternator shaft runs a vacuum pump?
There are alternators which generate vacuum from the unit. One of the auto majors manufactures it.

Quote:
Right now I am ok with drum brakes, let's see how it behaves in off-roading drives and highway drives. Not planning any changes for now.

Finally Mr. Samurai has decided to retain his stock settings

Good, we got to explore other options as well.