Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th May 2008, 12:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Talking Upgrading brakes on CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
1) Brakes -
Change to the MM540 drums that will be adequate.
Disc Brakes will complicate things and take away much needed bonnet space and some leg room (suspended pedals)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I would recommend front disc brakes. These are standard M&M units that will bolt in once you get the mating front knuckles. I ran this setup for several years on my 340 and it worked well. This would be a much better setup than larger drums up front.
Man, now you guys are pulling me in two different directions. To disk or not to disk, that is the question.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:39   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Man, now you guys are pulling me in two different directions. To disk or not to disk, that is the question.
Samurai,
I have run my 340 with drums for 2 or 3 years and then switched to front discs. I felt that the front discs were a huge improvement over the 4 wheel drums.

Disadvantages:
1. Higher brake effort. Disc brakes need 50% to 100% more brake line pressure than drums. My 1995 340 came without a brake booster, so there was a noticeable difference in the brake effort.

2. Braking balance will be effected also. The rear brakes will lock up earlier because of the above mentioned issue. This can be fixed with a brake proportioning valve.

Advantages:
1. Vehicle will track straight when braking with no pulling to one side or the other. Unless off course you lock the rear brakes first and are going around a road curve when raining.

2. Shorter braking distance.

3. No brake loss after running through deep water or mud.

4. Discs are self adjusting.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to drive you Jeep and see how the current brakes work for your type of driving. If the brakes are working just fine, then there is no need to change anything. If you feel that there are limitations with the current setup, than you have a couple of upgrade options.

Regards,
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 15:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Higher brake effort. Disc brakes need 50% to 100% more brake line pressure than drums. My 1995 340 came without a brake booster, so there was a noticeable difference in the brake effort.
And I was thinking I'll can reduce braking effort by switching to disks.

OK, I think switching to disks is a big project, not something for near future.

Meanwhile, what can I do to reduce the braking effort required?

1) Can I add a brake booster?
2) Bigger drum from MM540? It that available on order?
3) Is there a way I can add hand brake to the CJ340? I see Classic has it.
Old 6th June 2008, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

1)Yes, you can add a booster. Its a belt driven pump.
2)Should be available easily at a Mahindra dealer/distributor.
3)Yes, again possible.

Again, Sharath. I've had a major head on accident because of the ****ty drums in the Mahindra and totaled it.Im still scarred with the stitches.
Headers once lost his brakes in the CJ3B completely and had to drive 11 kms brakeless to his home and ended up bumping the jeep's rear into the wall while reversing into his car park.
Simple reasoning to me: Drums are primitive,ancient brake technology. They fail miserably especially when they get wet.
Discs are used in an F1 car, a WRC car, and any modern vehicle except trucks. Im a firm believer in discs and the kind of bite,sharpness and precision they offer.
I know Headers with his disc'd gypsy and Arka are pro-drummers. I will never agree to them on this topic.
But, Im gonna advise you get DISCS. Please.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 02:31   #5
BHPian

I agree with Nitrous! Go for discs!
You can add a booster using also a Tata Safari alternator wich has the vacuum pump built in.
You will avoid to have another belt running.
For hand brake do you mean parking brake?
@Nitrous: modern trucks also they all have discs, at least here...

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 07:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

well whatever you decide to do.. Disc or drum. Make sure gtr done 110% correctly and all genuine quality parts are used. This is something that cannot be messed with as they are important and cannot fail.. Dangerous consequences..
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 08:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

So you all suggest disk brakes with booster? What is the approximate cost of this mod?
Old 6th June 2008, 08:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm, I think the Bolero comes with discs, but even its brakes are shoddy

Just had a TD the other day - the vehicle is lazy. Both in getting to 70-80, and in coming back to zero. Wonder how you managed the drum version post a GV!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 09:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, you are looking at at least 20k
Old 6th June 2008, 09:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Braking balance will be effected also. The rear brakes will lock up earlier because of the above mentioned issue. This can be fixed with a brake proportioning valve.
Isn't it dangerous to use disk brakes without proportioning valve, I didn't know they did installed disk brakes without it. Just to make sure rear-drum kicking in first and also to make sure they get reduced pressure, we need that.

Quote:
If the brakes are working just fine, then there is no need to change anything. If you feel that there are limitations with the current setup, than you have a couple of upgrade options.
If I am on even the slightest incline, and if I am not actively pressing the brakes with full concentration, it starts to roll. Just keeping it passively pressed doesn't stop rolling. So, I think I need to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hmm, I think the Bolero comes with discs, but even its brakes are shoddy
But do you have to stand on the brakes to effect braking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Wonder how you managed the drum version post a GV!!
I drive quite slowly to avoid having to brake hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
Samurai, you are looking at at least 20k
Damn, but it may be worth spending on disk brakes instead of alloys. So if I go to local authorised mahindra dealer, they should be able to get it done using genuine parts?
Old 6th June 2008, 11:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Well, monsoon has finally caught up at my place. Next 4 four months will be very wet, rains here are really heavy. Now I heard drum brakes can lose their effect when they gets wet. Does it happen only if I try to ford rivers (not that I would) or even under severe rains? If it is the latter, I have more reason to worry.

Some more questions:

1) If I have to do this in phases, can I start with brake boosters first? Say only install the vacuum booster to reduce the effort in pressing the current brakes. Can this be reused when I switch to disc brake?

2) Since this is a diesel Jeep, I will need a vacuum pump. Nitrous has suggested belt driven vacuum pump, is that a Mahindra OEM item I can get on order? What about this belt-less Safari pump suggested by Ignazio?

3) The disc brake kit for CJ3B or CJ340, what does it contain? Does it come with new hanging type pedals, proportioning valve, brake lines, disk brakes, rotors, etc., or I need to buy each item separately? Any trouble mating it with existing vacuum booster?

4) To add emergency brakes, does the stock rear drum brakes have the necessary mechanism or do I need to replace them?
Old 6th June 2008, 12:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, in wet drum brakes are pretty useless. Ask any old Fiat owner, every time you splashed water you had to keep pumping to dry the brakes.
Discs are the way to go.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 14:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Samurai if you keep goin to the dealer for these upgrades you will pay more. Check with the person who sold you the vehicle. He might be able to help you
Old 6th June 2008, 15:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Samurai, in wet drum brakes are pretty useless. Ask any old Fiat owner, every time you splashed water you had to keep pumping to dry the brakes.
Discs are the way to go.
About 18 years ago I had a Fiat 600, 4 drums and no booster... I learn how to brake! Particulary under rain
@Iceman, Samurai bought his Jeep something about 400+ km from where he lives... Am I wrong?
@Samurai, you can easily install the booster working on the drums first, then move to discs when you can...
Ciao!

Ignazio
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yeah he does live about 400kms away. Also like my earlier post, brakes is something I prefer being careful about due to the risk of failure.
Also the guy he bought from does restore and modify (modernise) jeeps so he would be a good guy to go to, else if he knows someone or you know someone closer..more than welcome..