Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:42   #1
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 643
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Which Car - CNG Installation

Ok Guys, i want to know which is a better car in terms of overall performance and realiability for installing CNG kit.

By performance i mean, the car should be not very sluggish in lower gears with AC. this is the reason i am not listing any small/hatchbacks here.


Baleno, Accent(which models), Honda City (Vtech/1.3/1.5), Lancers, Icon(1.3/1.6).

Cheers.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

I guess the CNG kit for the CITY VTEC Will be an insult to the cars performance

I think if u can get the OHC , go for the 1.5 one, install a CNG

I think that should give decent efficiency and the performance drop wont be too much
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:59   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,678 Times
Default

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...6-car-cng.html (Which car for CNG?)
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

abhinav yaar,

I have seen Honda CRVs with CNG kit

There's enough Toyota Qualis 2.0P with CNG in Delhi as well.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:31   #5
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I guess the CNG kit for the CITY VTEC Will be an insult to the cars performance

I think if u can get the OHC , go for the 1.5 one, install a CNG

I think that should give decent efficiency and the performance drop wont be too much
Sorry bro i would like to differ your POV here, an OHC VTEC/NON-VTEC with a TAP/ FFE/ CAI will perform better than petrol.
I have an Ikon 1.6 on CNG with TAP and it performs better than petrol. The only problem with CNG is initial lag in the lower rev range till about 1500RPM-1800RPM which can be sorted out with a custom designed header.
Unfortunately CNG is looked down upon as an inferior fuel, which is very sad to know when its benefits surpass that of gasoline in most respects. I have posted this statement before aswell that turobocharging an engine on CNG/LPG/Diesel is far better than one on gasoline in terms of performance gain.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:32   #6
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Ok Guys, i want to know which is a better car in terms of overall performance and realiability for installing CNG kit.

By performance i mean, the car should be not very sluggish in lower gears with AC. this is the reason i am not listing any small/hatchbacks here.


Baleno, Accent(which models), Honda City (Vtech/1.3/1.5), Lancers, Icon(1.3/1.6).

Cheers.
All the cars mentioned here will perform good on CNG but as much as i have seen and experienced with these cars, Baleno is the best on CNG in terms of performance.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Pick a car with plenty of extra power and torque because you will lose quite a bit after conversion.

For example, a Palio 1.1/Maruti 1000/Ikon 1.3_OHV are all bad choices because they are underpowered as it is.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:19   #8
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
abhinav yaar,

I have seen Honda CRVs with CNG kit

There's enough Toyota Qualis 2.0P with CNG in Delhi as well.
I would like to add Corolla 1.8, Accord 3.0 iVTEC, Skoda vRS, BMW 316i amongst a few others with CNG. In delhi there is a CNG filling station at Kalkaji/Nehru Place and if you go there at 11.30pm-1.00am you might catch these big boys there, i have seen them there quite often.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:11   #9
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

what abhik is saying is right. CNG has a higher octane value than gasoline and hence better performance with tuned up engine. But you need right kind of settings and installation. TAP is absolutely necessary to negate pickup issues.
But i'm really curious to know that what would be the performance of an octavia vrs on CNG, i dont think it will remain the same unless it is a sequential kit installation.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:31   #10
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
what abhik is saying is right. CNG has a higher octane value than gasoline and hence better performance with tuned up engine. But you need right kind of settings and installation. TAP is absolutely necessary to negate pickup issues.
But i'm really curious to know that what would be the performance of an octavia vrs on CNG, i dont think it will remain the same unless it is a sequential kit installation.
The vRS was being fitted by the same guy who fitted my car so coincidently i was there when it was being done along with the BMW 316i.
A bigger kit comes for cars over 140BHP so even if you dont get seqential injection, the bigger kit wit a TAP or Lamda(depending upon closed or open loop operation) will give equivalent performance as compared to stock petrol, and anyways Skodas come with 4 point spark plugs which further help effective combustion of CNG. The owner after taking a drive after fitment said he could'nt make out any difference between performance on petrol and CNG even when he switched fuels on the go.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:39   #11
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

accha abhik tell me onething. I have this tomasetto kit installed on my OHC 1.5, got it installed in Tilak Nagar. There's a slight drop in performance in CNG mode but only slight. I'm now planning to make it as good as petrol mode. So would installing a TAP will take care of the whole issue or should i have additional things also?
and how should i find out that my current CNG setup is in open or closed loop because if its in closed loop than i would prefer lambda as TAP would be useless in this case.
and from where did u get your CNG installed?
also i want to get rid of this fluctuating ideal RPM which occurs sometimes.

Last edited by ashish22 : 2nd June 2008 at 22:42.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:12   #12
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
accha abhik tell me onething. I have this tomasetto kit installed on my OHC 1.5, got it installed in Tilak Nagar. There's a slight drop in performance in CNG mode but only slight. I'm now planning to make it as good as petrol mode. So would installing a TAP will take care of the whole issue or should i have additional things also?
and how should i find out that my current CNG setup is in open or closed loop because if its in closed loop than i would prefer lambda as TAP would be useless in this case.
and from where did u get your CNG installed?
also i want to get rid of this fluctuating ideal RPM which occurs sometimes.
TAP(timing advancer) would make a lot of difference in performance, infact you might even see better performance than petrol.
Go to your dealer and enquire about the kit, most kits are installed in open loop operation where TAP does good and Lamda is good for closed loop ones.
TAP would be for Rs1000-1500, they come with 3 settings like a tuning box and have 3 remaps(dont confuse it with ECU remaps which play around with AFR signals etc,its just for timing ) as option.
I will PM you my fitters details.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 01:45   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
abhinav yaar,

I have seen Honda CRVs with CNG kit

There's enough Toyota Qualis 2.0P with CNG in Delhi as well.
Oh God CRV's. Why Do People Buy such cars when they cant fill 'em up and run them

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@abhinav boss thanks... arey baba.. insult kahe ka.. engine ko bura lage toh petrol pe chala lo..lolz
Vtec Will always feel insulted bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I would like to add Corolla 1.8, Accord 3.0 iVTEC, Skoda vRS, BMW 316i amongst a few others with CNG. In delhi there is a CNG filling station at Kalkaji/Nehru Place and if you go there at 11.30pm-1.00am you might catch these big boys there, i have seen them there quite often.
Gosh, I thought 3.0V6 and vRs's owners bought the cars for performance and not looking at efficiency, even if they can get great performance installing other components with CNG
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:49   #14
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 643
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

hmm so i think i would start my search for used baleno or city to get this operation completed. I was willing to go for a new car (Swift VDI), but the increase in fuel prices have left me with no choice at the moment.

I head about Lamda and TAP out here and also on another thread which talks about performance mods for CNG cars.

Can anyone guide me from where can i get more information on this and where to contact to get it installed in Delhi.

Cheers.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:31   #15
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

@invincible ill PM you my fitters details, he is a person with excellent knowledge about CNG.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials? panky12345 Technical Stuff 5 20th May 2016 11:56
Swift Lxi (CNG Fitted) vs Santro GLS (CNG) coolaxe Hatchbacks 18 28th June 2012 16:58
Which second hand car to buy which would be most suited to put in CNG? sahakar Hatchbacks 1 4th May 2008 02:16
For sale: CNG and LPG kits (with installation) Minardi Shifting gears 3 3rd October 2005 14:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks