Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 14:06   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
AIR78: the VNT is ECU controlled, i had to specify the exact mods for jeff to load on the appropriate tune. forgot to add earlier that a 3bar map was also added. unfortunately the VNT 17/22 is a hybrid, i.e. a non standard Garrett and unlikely to be available here.
Great Choice of mods there. I see that you have removed the EGR valve, did you get any " check engine light " intitially before adding the chip ?
Am sure the chip you have added must have taken care of this.

Where did you get the mods done from?

1.9tdi has a stronger gearbox and that's where there is no limitation to mods one can do. However I guess adding a FMIC with slightly bigger intake piping would also help considerably. Did you get the SS downpipe custom made here?
Another thing that you can consider and am sure you must have thought of is adding high flow manifold both for exhaust and intake. This does make a considerable difference.

Unfortunately I have 1.4TDI fabia. Where can't do much of mods due to the limitation of the gear box However am planning to get a custom made SS downpipe with decat. Thought of removing the EGR valve too but it would leave the engine check light on unless the error could be deleted completely.

A lot many turbos and tuning parts are avialable for a 1.9tdi, no wonder one can do so much with this engine. here's a site which has almost all Drop in Turbo upgrades and replacements
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:17   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
That's some very nice stuff. Have heard great things about the clutch especially. How are you controlling the VNAT? BTW chances are that turbo is manufactured in India.
All the turbo used in VW/skoda tdi engine are the borg warner,KKK turbo or the garrett. The hybrids are based on the garrett turbo none which is made here in India.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 23:06   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 66
Thanked: 2 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Great Choice of mods there. I see that you have removed the EGR valve, did you get any " check engine light " intitially before adding the chip ?
Am sure the chip you have added must have taken care of this.

Where did you get the mods done from?

1.9tdi has a stronger gearbox and that's where there is no limitation to mods one can do. However I guess adding a FMIC with slightly bigger intake piping would also help considerably. Did you get the SS downpipe custom made here?
Another thing that you can consider and am sure you must have thought of is adding high flow manifold both for exhaust and intake. This does make a considerable difference.

Unfortunately I have 1.4TDI fabia. Where can't do much of mods due to the limitation of the gear box However am planning to get a custom made SS downpipe with decat. Thought of removing the EGR valve too but it would leave the engine check light on unless the error could be deleted completely.

A lot many turbos and tuning parts are avialable for a 1.9tdi, no wonder one can do so much with this engine. here's a site which has almost all Drop in Turbo upgrades and replacements
[1]the clutch is the prob with the extra torque generated, so the choice of clutch kits depends on the estimated torque after the remap,i earli.[2]An FMIC wold be too complicated because of the piping hence the larger sized Boost Factory SMIC,[3] the down pipe is made by Passenger Performance 2.5 inches,[4] my PD130 Passat larger intake manifold will be installed by this month end but am not changeing the exhaust one as the cast iron one that came with the VNT hybrid is matched to it . for your fabia, i suggest you check out{ http://briskoda.net/forums/,http://www.seatcupra.net},if you get a remap done be sure to specify a EGR delete CEL delete.FYI deleting the EGR and the accompaning adaptation setting will ensure a clean sootfree manifold .Most of my info is from Tdiclub.com, some serious gurus there. But all these parts and info would just be worthless if not for Ash[ my tuner/friend].
air870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 23:32   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
All the turbo used in VW/skoda tdi engine are the borg warner,KKK turbo or the garrett. The hybrids are based on the garrett turbo none which is made here in India.
The Garrett VNT 17 used on the 2.2 Safari Dicor is made in India. The KKK used in the Indicas and Indigos are also made in India.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 01:27   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

AIR870:
Quote:
if you get a remap done be sure to specify a EGR delete CEL delete.
Well already have a stage 1 remap. Plan on getting a custom Air intake and a new downpipe which is not readily available, so would have to get it fabricated.

Here's a piece of info on the EGR valve which states everything about.
TDI EGR system FAQ

So what workshop are using to get your work done?
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:49   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 66
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up

in my opinion,dont waste your money on an intake system, hardly any gains. the down pipe is required only with an upgraded turbo. a good but expensive[$400 each] upgrade is the PD injectors, and a cat deleted freeflow exhaust. i get my work done at Speed Deemon Tuning, Noble house. lower parel.[ASH].
air870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:44   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default About the spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
.......
Ravveenddra What design spoiler have you choosen? (there is a design with a flat srip that sits right on the boot edge and sticks to it end to end, and there is another design which has a contact only at the two ends with visible 3inches of space between the spoiler and the boot) and how much did you order the same from Skoda. Which dealer?

.......
Any updates on your box performance, Ravv?

In the price range for me the options seem to be Kiirus 22K remap vs Pete 31.2K tuning box. MTM drove me away on pricing, Kiirus offer ends on March 31st. Am seriously not able to decide on either. Also ,am quite surprised to see no better pricing even in such a market situation.

Any other tuners that I should consider?

HELP needed.
Hi ACM, Sorry about taking so long to reply to your queries.

I was trying to track down the part no. for the spoiler. It is Part no.: FAA610003. This is the one that is a flat srip that sits right on the boot edge and sticks to it end to end. The other one is called a vRS style spoiler. There is only one dealer for Skoda in Hyderabad - Mahavir Motors.
The spoiler cost me Rs.8881/- all inclusive. I paid the whole amount after the spoiler was fitted.

The Pete's box has added to the joy of driving. The car now has 'real grunt' in the low and mid revs. One issue was the black smoke but this was resolved after shifting to Green Cotton filter (stock replacement). There is no drop in FE as far as I could make out, let me check it out over a few tank-fulls.

I understand that there are a few remapped Skodas in Hyderabad which come to the dealer. The mechanics told me that re-maps give rise to problems in the electrical/electronic systems. The workshop is used to Pete's boxes and tell me that the Pete's boxes cause no problems.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:54   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

I understand that there are a few remapped Skodas in Hyderabad which come to the dealer. The mechanics told me that re-maps give rise to problems in the electrical/electronic systems. The workshop is used to Pete's boxes and tell me that the Pete's boxes cause no problems.

Cheers,
I don't know in what context is he saying that they give electrical problems. I have been using a remap since last 21000kms and not faced any issue as yet. There are many options available for remaps depends which one does what. I have had custom code, and not faced any issue.
Recently I made just changes to my intake system with customized 3 inch intake and green storm filter, upgraded the downpipe and removed the cat. Must say the car has become more lively. Zero turbo lag. Feels like a petrol car now. It just shoots to 140. I can say the difference is atleast 15% or so.

Good to know that you enjoying your new added power. If driven in a sedate manner you will definately notice increase in mileage. But, don't forget to clean the filter every 2500kms for optimum result. As it gets choked pretty early which means it works at its best what filters are meant to do, filtration.

Cheers!

Last edited by Invinsible : 14th April 2009 at 10:57.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 13:16   #84
BHPian
 
Ardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 613
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
I understand that there are a few remapped Skodas in Hyderabad which come to the dealer. The mechanics told me that re-maps give rise to problems in the electrical/electronic systems. The workshop is used to Pete's boxes and tell me that the Pete's boxes cause no problems.

Cheers,
@Ravveendrra, there is a mechanic in Mahavir who also does stage 1 remaps of the diesel skoda. He works on the Petes modded vehicles when they come in for servicing. I am not sure which mechanic told you about problems with remaps.

Let me know if you want to speak to this mechanic in Mahavir for more precise information. I could PM you his number.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 13:21   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I don't know in what context is he saying that they give electrical problems. I have been using a remap since last 21000kms and not faced any issue as yet. There are many options available for remaps depends which one does what. I have had custom code, and not faced any issue.
Recently I made just changes to my intake system with customized 3 inch intake and green storm filter, upgraded the downpipe and removed the cat. Must say the car has become more lively. Zero turbo lag. Feels like a petrol car now. It just shoots to 140. I can say the difference is atleast 15% or so.

Good to know that you enjoying your new added power. If driven in a sedate manner you will definately notice increase in mileage. But, don't forget to clean the filter every 2500kms for optimum result. As it gets choked pretty early which means it works at its best what filters are meant to do, filtration.

Cheers!
Great to know your re-map and other mods are working well. Re-maps are known to work and work well too, only downside is that they sometimes cause problems and unless the tuner is readily available to iron out the issues, it can be quite troublesome. Therefore a re-map was not an option for me. One specific problems that one of the mechanics mentioned is - lights dimming.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:06   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Great to know your re-map and other mods are working well. Re-maps are known to work and work well too, only downside is that they sometimes cause problems and unless the tuner is readily available to iron out the issues, it can be quite troublesome. Therefore a re-map was not an option for me. One specific problems that one of the mechanics mentioned is - lights dimming.

Cheers,
lights dimming that's the most strange thing i have heard. In a remap the parameters that are modified are the boost timing, boost pressure, air-fuel mapping, temp setting, and other related to performance. Rest of the parameters or settings given by the manufacturer are untouched. I don't know on what basis is this mechanic states that but definately he needs to get his basics right. The Remaps available here are the general maps having issues will be only pertaining to the performance and not any electrical failure. It's one of those ways to put the blame on someone else's shoulder than accepting it.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:12   #87
BHPian
 
Ardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 613
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
Great to know your re-map and other mods are working well. Re-maps are known to work and work well too, only downside is that they sometimes cause problems and unless the tuner is readily available to iron out the issues, it can be quite troublesome. Therefore a re-map was not an option for me. One specific problems that one of the mechanics mentioned is - lights dimming.

Cheers,
Did the mechanic report the dimming of lights as one of cases or his usual observation? I know of a vRS in Hyderabad which was remapped to 220 this February and reported such an issue, to be more precise flickering of lights. The tuner checked this vRS in front of me and could not trace it to remap. They even tried another set of batteries and for some reasons the batteries were getting drained of. Mind you, when the tuner was checking for the issue, they checked all the electrical system for loose contacts without switching on the engine. I do not think the flickering / dimming of lights is due to remap. It could be related to something else.

Other than this one incident, I have not found anyone complaining of such issues due to remap.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:14   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
. The workshop is used to Pete's boxes and tell me that the Pete's boxes cause no problems.

Cheers,
Tuning box works in a different way compared to the remap. It also about modifying fuel timing. One problem that a tuning box aggravates is the Soot/carbon deposit in the EGR valve and intake manifold. In a normal car EGR valve and intake manifold may require cleaning once in 40000 kms. However once with a remap or tuning box it would require much early. I had mine clean at 22000kms as it affected the performance. However, with tuning box there might little more soot accumulating more compared to a remap where it would need cleaning every 15-20000kms for optimum results.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:23   #89
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Hi ACM, Sorry about taking so long to reply to your queries.

I was trying to track down the part no. for the spoiler. It is Part no.: FAA610003. This is the one that is a flat srip that sits right on the boot edge and sticks to it end to end. The other one is called a vRS style spoiler. There is only one dealer for Skoda in Hyderabad - Mahavir Motors.
The spoiler cost me Rs.8881/- all inclusive. I paid the whole amount after the spoiler was fitted.

The Pete's box has added to the joy of driving. The car now has 'real grunt' in the low and mid revs. One issue was the black smoke but this was resolved after shifting to Green Cotton filter (stock replacement). There is no drop in FE as far as I could make out, let me check it out over a few tank-fulls.

I understand that there are a few remapped Skodas in Hyderabad which come to the dealer. The mechanics told me that re-maps give rise to problems in the electrical/electronic systems. The workshop is used to Pete's boxes and tell me that the Pete's boxes cause no problems.

Cheers,
Thanks Ravveendrra

Somehow like the vRs style spoiler more.

The debate on Tuning box and Remaps will continue endlessly. We have both read a lot in favour and against each option.

Presently I am also in favour of the Tuning box, the remap guy whom I consulted provided me incorrect infomation regarding the impact of special Fuels like Turbojet/ xtramile / HSD on the Skoda Laura, so lost my faith though he quoted the lowest for a remap at 24K. Didn't want to take a risk. So you get a vote from me as well, but am presently not a Tuning box user so the vote wont count.

In the last few days got caught up in recoving the lost power of my Safari (which is not back to normal), so maybe will again start looking out for a Pete Tuning box next month. Before investing anymore on the Laura would like to clear my mind regarding keeping it for longterm, currently am tending towards the long term, but yet last week checked out a few dealers for a swap/sell off.
ACM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:24   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Heyy guys hang on,

I have nothing against re-maps. I am reporting what I have heard, both off and on this forum.

Considering the responses to my query here and, noting that the dealer too confirmed that it was not troublesome. I went in for the fail safe and reversible Pete's tuning box. This decision was pushed along by my limited knowledge of electronics and computers, all I know is that computers hang very often, eg. when a new peripheral is added or, most frustratingly after an 'update' - which is supposed to solve problems!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Superb 1.8 Tsi ECU remap rohanGT Technical Stuff 11 27th December 2016 13:41
Honda Civic Remap killjoy Modifications & Accessories 39 9th October 2013 14:47
Feedback needed: Hyderabad - Vemulavada routes spadix Route / Travel Queries 0 10th November 2010 14:24
Available Optra 1.8 remap at your dealership BUSA Modifications & Accessories 20 7th December 2007 04:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks